Which Gaming monitor? LG 42 C2? AW3423? Or AW3821?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Need some [H]ard advice :)

I currently have the Alienware AW3420DW Ultrawide monitor, but will be giving to my daughter as I build her a new system for school. So I'll be in the market for a new display.

I use my computer mostly for Gaming, like WoW, Lost Ark, ( might try New World ) I also play some shooters like Doom Eternal, Battlefield 4 + 5, Tiny Tina's, etc... I also use my PC for general web surfing and misc. stuff. Never for movies or TV shows, that's what my 65" is for.

So which monitor would recommend of these I am looking at?

- LG C2 42" OLED?
- Alienware AW3423 OLED?
- Aleinware AW3821?

I am a bit worried about OLED's as a PC monitor still, due to potential burn in issues down the road. The LG 42" is a TV not a true PC display. The older AW3821 is probably the best gaming display for non OLED screens.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• RDT_20220810_1511231839177048140736084.jpg
    RDT_20220810_1511231839177048140736084.jpg
    734.7 KB · Views: 0
After reading real gamer's reviews, I think I'll be getting the LG 42" OLED later this month.

I want something to pop and wow me, something fresh and totally new from my AW3420DW.

I'm used to large displays, years ago I had the 40" Philips monitor, I loved the size but the screen quality was mediocre at hest, and 60hz sucks.

So a 42" size I'll be used to that.

I wanna crank up Doom Eternal with all the HDR goodness, and be amazed.

I have had my C2 42 for a month now and every other monitor in the house looks like crap. The contrast on this thing is beyond belief, I do not even run HDR in most games, the difference is still amazing.
I considered the 34" display as I enjoy ultrawide gaming sometimes. I went into Radeon Software, made a custom resolution and now i game on 21:9 anytime I want with just a switch in game. The black edges are so deep you swear it is just a large bevel.

I have neo G9, same height as aw3423dw, but wider. They are essentialy the same height as a 27" 1440p monitor, in other words, quite underwhelming as far as immersion goes. Hence the reason I switched to a C242, far more immersive for gaming.

So if that is a factor for youe gaming experience, I would defs go the C242, not to mention their leading picture quality and HDR performance.

I have had my C2 42 for a month now and every other monitor in the house looks like crap. The contrast on this thing is beyond belief, I do not even run HDR in most games, the difference is still amazing.
I considered the 34" display as I enjoy ultrawide gaming sometimes. I went into Radeon Software, made a custom resolution and now i game on 21:9 anytime I want with just a switch in game. The black edges are so deep you swear it is just a large bevel.

This type of reply is what I was hoping for, thanks.

Coming from an AW3420DW would be stupid to just go to the 38" version, plus its old tech now.

Really looking to try something new and fresh in the OLED screens with the very vibrant colors and inky blacks would be a big upgrade to me.

This type of reply is what I was hoping for, thanks.

Coming from an AW3420DW would be stupid to just go to the 38" version, plus its old tech now.

Really looking to try something new and fresh in the OLED screens with the very vibrant colors and inky blacks would be a big upgrade to me.
To each their own, but I personally love my 38" UW. I heavily considered the AW3423, and even had it on order for a while, but that gave me time to read people's impressions and realize what I was getting myself into.

I play a lot of Path of Exile, an ARPG with a large static interface (plus the large health and mana orbs). I often play for hours at a time and don't think there's any method that would keep that image from being burned into an OLED display. I also like to leave my screen on the desktop and not have to worry about burn-in if I'm away for 10 or 15 minute intervals.

To each their own, but I personally love my 38" UW. I heavily considered the AW3423, and even had it on order for a while, but that gave me time to read people's impressions and realize what I was getting myself into.

I play a lot of Path of Exile, an ARPG with a large static interface (plus the large health and mana orbs). I often play for hours at a time and don't think there's any method that would keep that image from being burned into an OLED display. I also like to leave my screen on the desktop and not have to worry about burn-in if I'm away for 10 or 15 minute intervals.

Very good points.

So undecided.

Now it's down to the LG 42" C2 OLED or AW3821DW.

Only way I'd get the 38" Alienware is if Microcenter has a killer deal on the 2 left in stock. Like I've heard of people finding steep discounts down to like $799. If so I'm buying the AW38.

Otherwise if both are pretty much the same $1299 price, I think the 42" OLED is the way to go.

Just worried about burn-in with Windows 11, or static game info like in games World of Warcraft or other Action RPG's I play.

So undecided.

Now it's down to the LG 42" C2 OLED or AW3821DW.

Only way I'd get the 38" Alienware is if Microcenter has a killer deal on the 2 left in stock. Like I've heard of people finding steep discounts down to like $799. If so I'm buying the AW38.

Otherwise if both are pretty much the same $1299 price, I think the 42" OLED is the way to go.

Just worried about burn-in with Windows 11, or static game info like in games World of Warcraft or other Action RPG's I play.
If you're just going to be gaming/consuming media on it (and have a separate monitor for browsing/work/school whatever, get the OLED and dont lose any sleep over it.

If you need it to be your workhorse too, then.....

.... hard call.

If you're just going to be gaming/consuming media on it (and have a separate monitor for browsing/work/school whatever, get the OLED and dont lose any sleep over it.

If you need it to be your workhorse too, then.....

.... hard call.
Buy it from bestbuy or microcenter and get an extended warranty. Both are quite good about burn in and dead pixels. Microcenter tends to not repair and just give you a gift card for the purchase amount. I am waiting for QD OLED from LG to upgrade from my CX48.

My only beef with 3440 X 1440p monitors, is the height, I always feel like it should be taller more than 1440p, in games I'm looking up a lot to see more.

My son uses my old school 40" Philips 4k monitor, from like 2015 or so, with only 60hz refresh rate and terrible light bleed and looks washed out, but anyways, I turned n World of Warcraft to test it, and I was immedialty blown away by the screen size, I could see the mountain tops and sky too, it all looked so inviting, as if almost there, where my current AW3420DW doesn't give me that feeling at all, even though it's a far better monitor than that old Philips.

Buy it from bestbuy or microcenter and get an extended warranty. Both are quite good about burn in and dead pixels. Microcenter tends to not repair and just give you a gift card for the purchase amount. I am waiting for QD OLED from LG to upgrade from my CX48.
100% agree, would not by an OLED online, want local protection. In the end I chose Microcenter over Best Buy however, Microcenter actually has accident insurance with their warranty. Even if I drop the display, they replace it.

100% agree, would not by an OLED online, want local protection. In the end I chose Microcenter over Best Buy however, Microcenter actually has accident insurance with their warranty. Even if I drop the display, they replace it.
MC is too to good with their warranties. While grate I was in MC one day and a guy was buying a 3090 . He was talking about how he buys the 2 year warranty and then bricks it on purpose. Then he upgrades up to the next Gen cards.

So you have the AW3423DW ? How do you like it?

Yesterday I was reading several different forums and Reddit regarding the AW3423 DW.

And real people's comments about the monitor are concerning.
Some have zero issues and call it the best gaming display ever. Others reports of having to RMA the monitor due to issues and it seems at least reading these forums it seems the % of people with issues is higher than I would have expected.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Had a good look at the 42 and 48 last week and if your desk isn't 10k, the 42 is great. 48 or 55 is tempting as can be used for entertainment down the line and also further from desk so my sound stage imaging is less affected.

The AW is great but has its downsides. The input lag is high enough to make the 42 actually as responsive or touch better with a slightly slower refresh. People say they can run 138hz anyway on top of that.
If you read the thread here, people have compared both in person at home and most opt for the LG.

I went with the AW3423DW. The LG is too large for my area, monitor sits under the cabinet.
I usually use it 12-16 hours a day for desktop use. I'll game on it for 1-3 hours nearly every day
IMG_2555.JPEG

Back