Which games have you finished the most times?

I lost count of some of these...

Half Life 2 - 12 times ( Thought the Steam "time spent" only clocks me at like one playthrough. I use to play this, at least, once a year.)
Max Payne 3 - 4 times
Suikoden - 7 times (I can actually complete the game in one sitting, if I want.)
FF7 - 5 times
Xenogears - I got to the final boss three times. Each time my memory card would erase due to a bug in Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve - 3 times. However, I've only completed the 100 floor tower once. Again, due to a bug in the game that would erase my card.
Wild Arms - 6 times
Chrono Trigger - 7 times

Probably the strategy games like:

Master of Magic (uncountable at this point)
Master of Orion 1 and 2 (pretty much the same)
Alpha Centauri (Probably 1 playthrough for each of the main game factions and a few expansion pack factions. Half a dozen playthroughs maybe.
Sword of the Stars complete (closest approximation of the old Master of Orion games I've found yet...so, over a dozen playthroughs for sure)

A few RPGs, but not many:
Baldur's Gate 2 (3-4 times maybe. Different main character and party comps plus some multiplayer)
Wizardry 8 (Close to a dozen playthroughs. Many party combos plus a solo and party ironman playthrough)
Dragon's Dogma (Varied gameplay with different character builds keep it interesting. 3-4 times or so)
Diablo 1 (several times, certainly once for each character, and few more besides)

No idea.

Star Fox 64 - dozens of times
Ace Combat 4 - dozens of times
Half Life 2 - dozens of times
Jane's USAF - not really an end game for this, but redid the pre-done missions and made 100s in the mission editor

If I had to assume, those would be my most played SP games by time. Some others come to mind but I believe those would be the most played. These days I seldom replay a game. I only replay ones I absolutely love. Did Mass Effect 1 four times I think. ME2 three times. ME3 only once per character (two total). Deus Ex HR I did twice. Tomb Raider 2013 twice. Replayed Metro 2033. Want to redo Far Cry 3, Red Faction Guerilla and Sleeping Dogs.

Doom/Doom2
Half life
Fallout New Vegas

For raw play time I'd also say Quake 3 Arena

Great idea for a thread, M76!

Mass Effect series, Dragon Age, KoTOR... yep, basically all the Bioware greats I've completed numerous times. I finished The Last of Us for the 4th time a couple nights ago. I've played through System Shock maybe 5 times and System Shock 2 3 times. Thief 1 and 2 several times. I think that covers the ones that I've played more than three times to completion.

F.E.A.R. 1 and 2 .... every September/October. These games have the right amount of downtime / exploring with combat and excellent weapons + engine feel for a rail shooter. I love them. Also Quake and Quake 2.. I just finished Quake on my Voodoo2 rig a few weeks back. So good.

Doom 1...once a year i'll go through all the episodes on ultra-violence until the last episode (thy flesh consumed) gets too hard for me and I give up. I've done this since I upgraded my 286 to a 486 so I could play the Doom shareware.

Doom 1...once a year i'll go through all the episodes on ultra-violence until the last episode (thy flesh consumed) gets too hard for me and I give up. I've done this since I upgraded my 286 to a 486 so I could play the Doom shareware.
E4M1 and E4M2 are hard as hell, but the difficulty evens out after that. I think it still takes me a dozen times or more to get through those first two missions on Ultra Violence, especially as I always go for 100%.

Fallout 1 & 2
xcom 1
half-life 1 & 2 (I usually play through once on each difficulty)
neverwinter nights
Pool of Radiance
Quake 1
master of orion
Knights of the old republic 1 & 2
Castles
Total WAR series of games.. you have to beat it with every faction right ?

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Risk of Rain
Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros 3, 1
Sonic CD
Flashback
Another World

All dozens of times.

Games with campaigns/storylines:
King's Quest 6
Star Control 2
Freelancer
Half-Life 1
Fallout 4
Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne
Diablo series

I stopped counting many years ago.

Probably the following, in no particular order:

The Legend of Zelda, both quests (first NES game I beat).

Bionic Commando NES - you can beat it in an hour, if you're bored. And it's so much better than the arcade game.

The Guardian Legend - it took me years to finally beat this difficult monster (and it' complex password system), but thanks to emulators and save stats, it's gained new life. I play it through once every six months.

Phantasy Star 3: it's the easiest of the Phantasy Star games to complete, and it has four different endings, to spice things up.

Final Fantasy 4: There's just something magical, about this game. I've played all the other games in the series, and they don't have the same replay value. This is easy to beat, so I'll run it through when I want to turn my brain off.

Sonic 2: it's just perfection, with just the right amount of difficulty. The large branching levels mean you can do something different every time you play. You can still beat it in a couple hours.

Ghouls and Ghosts. The port on the Genesis was pure magic, and the unlimited continues makes it much more affordable.

Black Tiger on the arcade. Such a fantastic game, and I got so good at it I beat it on a single quarter a couple times. I've set up MAME with an arcade joystick specifically to play that game.

Portal 1 and 2. I replay through that about once a year, and usually finish both games before I get bored.

Master of Orion - there is no better turn-based space 4x, since you get random tech trees, and maps balanced depending on your race. I've beaten this hundreds of times on hard.

Super Mario 2: I hated all the other entries in the series, so it's no surprise I enjoyed doki doki panic. There's an easy pattern to the slot machine at the end of each level, so you can rack-up the extra men.

Tie Fighter. Great game. Ha some terribly difficult missions, but once you cracked those replay was easy.

Last edited:
I stopped counting many years ago.

Phantasy Star 3: it's the easiest of the Phantasy Star games to complete, and it has four different endings, to spice things up.

I have completed Phantasy Star 1 start to end at least 5 times, usually getting all of the laconian items on the way. (Sega Master System and also a couple times on emulator years later)
Phantasy Star 2 for genesis, I played pretty far into the game but did not complete it.
Have not played any of the other Phantasy star games! The original is one of my favorite console games of all time.

How would you compare #3 to the first two?

Civilization
XCOM/XCOM 2

I haven't really played through campaigns more than once that often, but I have definitely replayed XCOM/XCOM 2 several times each.

Master of orion 1 for DOS
i dotn hae the count but i did it on all difficulties and after that i did impossible in at least ad handfull of times with different setup.
te random nature of tech avaiabilty makes it nice to replay since you cant have you entire strategy based on a few key tech.
like neutron pellet gun for earli zerging... to bad you are not getting access to it this time around

I have completed Phantasy Star 1 start to end at least 5 times, usually getting all of the laconian items on the way. (Sega Master System and also a couple times on emulator years later)
Phantasy Star 2 for genesis, I played pretty far into the game but did not complete it.
Have not played any of the other Phantasy star games! The original is one of my favorite console games of all time.

How would you compare #3 to the first two?

PS3 is way easier than the first.

The first is tough, but balanced up until the final dungeon, but then they make you do the Endurance Test (ie how many Burgers can you pack into your inventory, and how many battles will let you run the first time) You have to do two complete dungeons and two boss fights without healing.

The third is much easier. The final dungeon is still tough, but you can leave and come back after the mini boss fight (he stays dead). You can also use faqs and select a generation with more healers, to make things even easier.

PS2 just got boring for me mid-way, because they're too reliant on mass quantities of teleporters to build the dungeon maps. But there's no such thing in 3.

Last edited:
Ummmm.... good question.

Consoles -
Super Mario World
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Pocky and Rocky 2
Hagane (play this people!!!! trust me, a rare gem)
Super Mario 64
Starfox 64
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Resident Evil 2
Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins

PC -
Civilization 2-6
Diablo 2
Titan Quest
Grim Dawn

I didn't include Bethesda open-world games because honestly, you can never consider those games truly "beaten".

Back