Which games currently support Dual Cores?

Most new processors sold now (I'm guessing) must be dual cores, since AMD just lowered their prices on them a LOT. And Intel is the new leader at the moment in dual core processors, so the chip makers are there with them.

Most game developers have to realize this, so new games should very soon be using the advantage they have over single core. It's an entirely different style of coding that they have to get used to to develop the games though.

Oh I think the id engine games (doom3 and quake3) do it right.

But far too many of them need AMD's Dual Core Optimizer because game programmers love bypassing windows API calls for performance, but know jack shit about keeping threads in sync.

SCSI-Terminator said:
Oh I think the id engine games (doom3 and quake3) do it right.

But far too many of them need AMD's Dual Core Optimizer because game programmers love bypassing windows API calls for performance, but know jack shit about keeping threads in sync.

The dual core optimizer fixes issues with a few games/apps here and there, even ones that don't use the other core whatsoever! ;)

I'm pretty sure et:qw will, since all the other doom 3 based games do (Don't know about prey, though).

PWMK2 said:
Not sure about Quake 3... :eek:

console command:

/r_smp 1

granted, it's an ancient game...but it'll do it. not sure what the benefit is, though, given you can get about a bazillion fps on just about any newish card.

It's not so much a question of which games "support" dual cores, as any game can be run to made on a dual core or SMP system. Which games actually benefit from multiple cores is another question.

I saw a thread on Crysis that listed the minimum and recommended specs and dual core was listed under recommended specs

Unless you're playing at a CPU limited res, such as 800x600, and to some extend 1024x768, there is no benefit from dual core CPUs in gaming. You dont get a noticable jump in frames, or anything close. Unless you're ripping a DVD in the background or something, its the same.

out of some upcoming games: Crysis and Dark Messiah (i think it supports Dual core)

The id games all supposedly do. I can't recall which, but either Prey or Quake 4 even has it as a menu option. Whether it really does anything is up in the air, though. If there is any benefit, it can't be much.
Next year some more games should. Like others have mentioned, that's part of the desired specs for Crysis. No clue if it'll benefit from it, or if that's just their way of mentioning you'll need something "newer" though.
I'd suspect we'll finally start to see the benefits once Vista's a little more standard. Supposedly it's one of the major things MS is pushing as part of their "Gaming for Windows" initiative.

Yeah, DirectX10 is multithreaded, atleast what I remember when I was analyzing the SDK awhile back. The driver between DirectX10 and the Graphics Card may be multithreaded or not. But atleast it moves the burden away from the developers (now they can assume it does and code for it regardless) and make the video card companies responsible for implementing it.

So you won't need new games being built for multi-threaded, just hardware + drivers which supports it.

I have a feeling that these multi-processor consoles like the 360 and PS3 are going to be a big help in spurring game developers comfortable with making multithreaded games. Hopefully that knowlege will be brought over to PC games as well.

I still don't regret getting the 64 4000+ for my rig, back when the X2's were released I had friends spending 2x as much money on a CPU thats the same speed at single core games.

And we STILL have no real engines built from the ground up for multicore use, all we've had is a few patches for games that introduce dual core support with no real performance gain in resolutions you'd actually game in.

Back