Which game demos allow benchmarks? (Prey, Fear, Quake4, etc)

Mako360

Limp Gawd
Just upgraded to an 8800GTX and want to do some benchmarking on it but I've been working so hard lately that I haven't had a chance to buy any recent benchmarkable games.

Besides 3DMark06 and Aquamark, what game demos available for download are capable of being benchmarked? I'd like to steer clear of FRAPS, it's always been incosistent for me, would prefer timedemos that are built in to the demo engine.

FRAPS works great, and with it every game on the shelf is "benchmarkable" as you put it. You can use the feature it has to record framerates over time as you play through the game.

Timedemos do not reflect actual gameplay.

Noted, thanks Brent.

Now back to the original question...what game demos offer timedemo/Fear-like benchmark utilities built in? :)

WarriorX said:
cs:source, company of heros, HL2 lost coast.

Nice, thanks Warrior that's perfect. Any one want to add others? What about the Fear/Prey/Quake 4 triumverant, do their demos offer benchmarking ability?

FEAR, Doom 3, I'm not too sure about quake. I think you can make your own in quake and play it back. Then again, you have to use FRAPS to record the framerates of the demo you made.

Just use FRAPS, set up its benchmark and play for 60 seconds. It's what all the reviewers use. Then, if you want to make prety graphs, export it into excel. There's NO reason to use any in-game "benchmarks" because as an above poster said, they're not representative of actual gameplay, which is what you want when you're benchmarking.

Back