Which FPS are you looking forward to, and why?

FrozenLiquidity

[H]ard|Gawd
With a good little bundle of FPS games slated for release in the next few months, I'm kind of curious which ones people are looking forward to the most, and why they are. What do you expect these titles to bring that makes them stand out for you? What kind of multiplayer experience are you looking for? Etc, etc.

:confused: If you're having problems coming up with a list to choose from, let me help you.
Theres:
  • Crysis Warhead
  • Farcry 2
  • Stalker: Clear Sky
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Fallout 3 (hybrid, but still FPSish)
  • I know I missed something
I'm looking forward to all of them personally, but am having a spot of trouble trying to tie down a favorite.

umm anything that comes out in the future for pc since its like a desert here

Fall Out 3 the most, even with its obvious FPS elements, I'd throw it in with Oblivion as an action RPG.

So in terms of pure FPS, FarCry 2. Grabbing L4D for the 360 so I can play with my stinkin console friends.

Clear Sky - mostly because STALKER was my favourite game of the last 18 months.

Left 4 Dead & Fallout3 both look very interesting though, hopefully they will offer something a bit different

On that list, Left 4 Dead, Clear Sky and FarCry 2, in that order. Most likely I'll only buy the first two. On my "real anticipation" list are Rage, HL2: Episode 3 and Doom 4, though we're talking 2009/2010 here.

As for why? Well, Left 4 Dead's an obvious one. I'm looking forward to Clear Sky because I'm, overall, just not blown away by the original STALKER.

Clear Sky and Fallout 3 are day-one purchases. I'll borrow Far Cry 2 from my cousin who loves the series a lot more than me, but I think this one will finally click with me (didn't like Far Cry mutant levels, and Crysis was merely "good").

I'm actually not that interested in Left 4 Dead. Maybe because I'm not that burned out on multiplayer shooters since I never play them? I'll wait for that one in the bargain bin.

Crysis Warhead
FarCry 2
L4D
Project Origin
Stalker: Clear Sky
Fallout 3 (maybe :/ )
HL2 Ep3
Doom4

Clear Sky since Stalker was fun as hell and still is

Left4Dead bcs it has fucking hoards of zombies that you kill with friends online, like srsly who can so no to that?

Fallout 3 - I'm a Fallout fanboy and the article in the new PC Gamer makes it sound like an actual Fallout game. Use the lady killer perk to get information out of a female npc then lay waste to the town you just saved? Sounds like Fallout.

Borderlands - What Hellgate should have been and then some

Left 4 Dead - The other gamers at Shacknews are frothing at the mouth for this game and it will be awesome to play with all those guys.

STALKER: Clear Sky - First one was awesome and this one looks to be even better.

Fallout 3
Stalker Clear Sky
Left 4 Dead
Wolfenstien
Doom 4
Borderlands
Far Cry 2

umm anything that comes out in the future for pc since its like a desert here

Maybe I'm the only one that likes a staggered release of games. Rather than constant good games coming out day after day. It's too easy to miss a good game when they come out like that. I have alot of games on my computer, but i'm glad lately they've bene released not all at once.. i get more time to enjoy each one. heh.

But yeah I'm looking forward to all previous mentioned games. I dunno which more though.. Doom 4, Left 4 Dead, Clear Sky, Crysis Warhead... but can we say Half Life 2 episode 3? lol maybe i'm looking too far ahead

Pretty much all from your list along with the new Alien: Colonial Marine game by GearBox.

I'm seeing a lot of one line answers here... I know that all these titles sound like potential winners, but I really want to know why you feel the one you picked stands out above the others and makes *you* want to buy the game

Look at it this way. If I was a poor joe schmoe that only had enough money to buy one game from now till Christmas, which game would you recommend to him and how would you back up that recommendation? You know, give him a reason to get it.

Edit-> And from all the left for dead responses, check this out:
badge.jpg

http://www.zombieharmony.com/

Operation Flashpoint 2

Gets my top vote. Primarily because its been a good 6 years since we've had a solid realistic military shooter. I am really sick of the faux realism of Call of Duty, Rainbow Six etc.

Honorable mentions go to the standard roll call:
Far Cry 2
Crysis Warhead
Fallout 3
Stalker Clear Sky (I hope this one is much more polished that the original)
Borderlands

I have a feeling that Half Life 2 Episode 3 may actually be more of a full game than an episode which is why I don't think we have heard much at all about it.

Look at it this way. If I was a poor joe schmoe that only had enough money to buy one game from now till Christmas, which game would you recommend to him and how would you back up that recommendation? You know, give him a reason to get it.
Clear Sky would only interest you if you were hooked on STALKER, like a lot of us. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for reviews to see if it's a general interest game.

Fallout 3 is also for sentimental value, since I played the originals in their prime, and I am excited about any game in a post-apocalypse setting.

Kind of hard to recommend a first-person shooter to an average consumer. Too many fanboys and personal preferences.

P.S. Don't create a list thread and be upset when people respond with lists. :) "Tell me why" doesn't always make a difference.

Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway. I think it's due out next month :D

Lookin forward to it because I really liked the first two. Great story, fun gameplay, unreal engine 3. Slow-mo uber kills will be a blast.

Clear Sky would only interest you if you were hooked on STALKER, like a lot of us. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for reviews to see if it's a general interest game.

Fallout 3 is also for sentimental value, since I played the originals in their prime, and I am excited about any game in a post-apocalypse setting.

Kind of hard to recommend a first-person shooter to an average consumer. Too many fanboys and personal preferences.

P.S. Don't create a list thread and be upset when people respond with lists. :) "Tell me why" doesn't always make a difference.

Who says I'm upset? Haha, a thread in an online forum is a bit much to get "upset" about, I mean com'on now. ;)

In any case, I tried to make it apparent in the title, regadless of what type of thread it was, that I was looking to get a more detailed answer than "House of the Dead IV".

And no, it really isn't that hard. If one was to say Clear Sky for example, they can back it up by saying that out of all of those it is most likely to offer the most atmospheric and "real" feeling world of all of the titles. With a very open-ended environment and a story which can be influenced by the players actions, etc.

I understand people will have their biases, but when pushed, it really isn't difficult to come up with at least one or two reasons why they have a preference or bias one way or the other. Who cares if it's a personal preference, these are ALL personal preferences, give it anyway. And as long as you've got a solid reason to be a fanboy, I wouldn't mind hearing that too.

Project Origin
Mirror's Edge
Far Cry 2
Left 4 Dead
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Doom 4

Diablo 3 (I can't list my most anticipated games without including it :p)

Subtle: understated, fine
Irony: satiric, paradox
Pick up a dictionary if you need more help.

BTW, I'm fully aware Diablo 3 isn't an FPS, but thanks for clearing it up for me, bra.

How can it be subtle or understated...you fully explained why you listed it. Plus I see no irony in including it in a list in which it did not belong.

Bra ;)

How can it be subtle or understated...you fully explained why you listed it. Plus I see no irony in including it in a list in which it did not belong.

Bra ;)
I explained it to a bra who obviously requested it. Read a little more carefully before interjecting yourself, next time. English lessons are over. You children have become tiresome.

OP: Sorry for the distraction. I recuse myself from this thread. Let the anticipated listing proceed...

STALKER: Clear Sky
I'm currently playing through the first one and I've been taking my sweet ass time for about a month. I'm collecting all kinds of awesome weapons and have nearly 100,000 rubles in my bank :eek:

Aliens: Colonial Marines
I loved AVP and AVP2. I'm a fan of the franchise from the comics, to the bad movies, to the great games. I sure hope this will be awesome.

Operation Flashpoint 2
I loved the first one and things can only get better right? I'm hoping this goes according to plan.

ArmA 2
I never played the first one but I've heard good things. Its similar to OpFlash though so I may only pick up one of the two.

Farcry 2
I enjoyed the first Farcry until it got all Sci-Fi with mutants and whatnot. These version looks even better.

Maybe's
Project Origin
I still haven't finished FEAR + expansions and I don't want to buy this until I do.

Crysis: Warhead
I still haven't bought the first one. Probably won't get this until I do.

Doom 4
Its Doom, but I don't know enough yet.

Rage
Sorry to say this actually looks questionable. I'll still be keeping my eye on it.

Fallout 3
Gotta see if its dumb for the console crowd before I pick it up.

HL2:EP3
Still haven't gotten to EP2 yet :(

Did I miss anything?

edit: yes I did.

Left4Dead
This will be awesome on so many levels. Laying waste to hordes of zombies with friends online should be good fun. I'm hoping it doesn't release at retail prices ($50) since, as far as I'm aware, theres not that much to it.

STALKER: Clear Sky
I'm currently playing through the first one and I've been taking my sweet ass time for about a month. I'm collecting all kinds of awesome weapons and have nearly 100,000 rubles in my bank :eek:

(+ following list)

Good list, I'd have to mostly agree. I would think that Fallout 3 would be a shoo-in. While it doesn't follow the gameplay from the previous games, the atmosphere and the way it seems to be playing out really attracts me. I like the kind of gameplay style I think it's going to offer. You are correct however, they can really screw up a good thing by consolizing it. I hope it won't happen in this case, otherwise I may have to wait for some community mods (you'll bet there will be some) to sort out the mess.

Clear Sky is definitely a must-have for me. Loved the original, and even if it was more of the same, it would be worth it. After watching some of the gameplay trailers and the refined settings, plus all the lessons the devs learned from the first game, I am convinced this one will be great. Day 1 buy for me.

I'll probably pick up Crysis warhead, though I almost expect to be disappointed by it. I hope it adds something more than just a new single player experience (haven't read much about it).

Farcry 2 looks promising, and the Savannah is a new environment for a game of this graphical caliber. If the world is as big as advertised, I'll have a blast :) Another Day 1 buy IMO.

Left 4 Dead. I was lucky enough to play this at the World Cyber Games last year with a few buddies. It was loads of fun, and if they've improved since then, I can only imagine a superb experience awaiting us. However, I do have to echo the concern of the price. I'd probably pay $29.99 or around there for it, but a full price of 39.99 or more seems unwarranted, all things considered. In which case I'll wait for a sale or something.

ArmA 2 and Ofp2... I didn't play the originals, but I think I'd be more interested in them now. I did play the ArmA demo, but wasn't impressed, that said, I'm willing to give these guys a try when released, and may end up getting one of them.

QuakeLive and Battlefield Heroes... Why cause they both are free and will be epic.

L4D, FO3 and The new Aliens game. Pretty much for me at this time.

That's puts the question in a slightly different light, it may imply a need for greater longevity - does it?

I'm pretty cynical about games these days and find little to get excited about. A lot of the games mentioned we expect to be high quality, well executed examples of the genre but they are in a sense predictable, run of the mill - you know what HalfLife, Halo, Doom, GTA, FarCry etc. games are going to be like.

That's why I liked STALKER, no doubt the quality was missing in a lot of places but the overall atmosphere had something new. Clear Sky might not have the same impact if it's more of the same. I played through STALKER twice and really took my time about it, so it's quite possible Clear Sky will end up with that feeling of "this is really good, but I've seen it before, now what can I play next?"

I'd say Left 4 Dead is the stand out for potentially offering an exciting new experience, but I wonder if it will get old fast? I never felt compelled to play through any HL game for a 2nd time, but I'd still say Left 4 Dead is almost a must buy, but if it's the only game you get this Autumn? Hmm, probably you'd need to wait on some reviews & user feedback.

Fallout3 is the one left from my 1st reply on this thread. I can imagine the longevity will be there and it could have a real atmosphere to suck you in & keep you playing for ages. Thing is it's being developed by Bethseda. I hated Morrowind and wouldn't play Oblivion because of the similarities and the way the enemies level up at the same time as your character. If they do that on Fallout3 it get crossed off my shopping list immediately!

Left4Dead because of the coop and (hopefully) re-playability and Battlefield Heroes because it looks like a relaxing, fun game.

Back