Which Final Fantasy is the best ?

I'd just like to add one thing to the thread. Even the worst FF game of the series (not counting 11) which to me is 13, is still more captivating and engaging than 90% of games that come out today.

7 is by far my favorite, followed by 6. The more I play 13 the more it grows on me. 8, 9, 10 and 12 were mostly forgettable.

7 was the first RPG that I really sunk my teeth into, so by initial bias it's my favorite.

X had the best magic/battle system
7 is the BEST.

Why is this not a poll? You should have made one.

X had the best magic/battle system

I'd say X-2 and XIII's battle systems were far superior, even though everything else about both games was much worse.

Best magic system was FF4's by far imo. Character specific spells, still had mp points, and if I remember correctly it's the one of the only games where all individual spells also had individual casting times (although FF12 might have as well). You couldn't have every character have the exact same spells, and you couldn't spam the same spells over and over every turn at will.

You should also pick up Katamari Damacy. It's...hard to describe and it's a ton of fun.

It's not that hard to describe the game; You roll around a ball and stuff sticks to the ball and the ball gets bigger.

What's hard to describe is why and how that translates into hours and hours of fun. Pick up We Love Katamari if you only care to buy one of them, it improved on Katamari Damacy in just about every way.

I just FF games by how I feel watching the final cinematic and seeing the credits roll. By that standard, I'd have to say FF VII then FF X.

Tactics is my all time favorite game on any console. Sticking with regular FF, I'd say my favorite was 6, followed by 7. FF remains the only reason I ever buy consoles :p

Tactics is my all time favorite game on any console. Sticking with regular FF, I'd say my favorite was 6, followed by 7. FF remains the only reason I ever buy consoles :p

I buy consoles for FF/Square games and Halo games. I only owned two games for the original Xbox and they were both Halo games. :eek:

glad I'm not the only one. bought PS2 for FF2, bought PS3 for FF13 (though, I dislike it)

on the flip side though, I've got a bunch of PS3 games now to play that aren't bad at all and the graphics on the PS3 are pretty amazing. I've pretty much stopped playing games on the PC except for FPS games. I'll never be able to play them on a console.

10-2 before 12?!?!?

8 only sucked becuse of the draw system, it was kinda stupid, but the characters really dragged me into it and thats why I really like it.

Yep, i didn't like the battle system and the character styles in 12. Never really got into the game.

As for 8, i hated the GF story intro lol, was bent. Draw was kinda strange but i liked it. FF8 was so broken though, can be completed in 24 hours.

7/10.

Cut my teeth into 10 and then moved into 7. Both had engaging believable worlds with engaging characters each unique with their own background. 10's combat system to me was great allowing me to really rotate my entire slew of characters in and the importance of each and every one of them. Working my way through 8/9 on my psp and 13 on the 360

For the PS2 and below:

FF7 and the FFs before it were all fun games.

FF8 was below average.

FF9 was horrible and probably the worst; the characters stunk and the villain is a half man/half woman or something else.

FF10 I didn't really like either mainly do to the uninteresting characters and story.

For the PS2 and below:

FF7 and the FFs before it were all fun games.

FF8 was below average.

FF9 was horrible and probably the worst; the characters stunk and the villain is a half man/half woman or something else.

FF10 I didn't really like either mainly do to the uninteresting characters and story.

FF9 was far better than any on the PS2/PS3.

Just started playing FF: Chaos Rings (iphone exclusive)

so far I like it a lot better than 12 or 13 :D turn based goodness

This is totally subjective. I've always like FFV and VII and IX equally. I recently started up a game in VI but haven't really stuck with it though it seems pretty fun with an interesting story.

FF7 was the first RPG I played, so I think my opinion of that game is higher than it really should be. I was so amazed by it because all of the aspects were brand new to me.

FF8 was great JUST for the card game

FF1, actually my favorite Square game is a tie between Chrono Trigger and the first Super Mario RPG for the SNES.

Personally I still think the overall best game in the series is still FF6 (sold here on the SNES as FF3) but I don't think there's a PS2 version of it.

Amen, I actually lost interest after this, though Tactics isn't bad. I also enjoyed the north american FF2

FF 4, 6, 7, 10 are all excellent.

I liked the battle system in 12 and have enjoyed 13 so far, though it certainly has its share of shortcomings.

I loved Final Fantasy 7 & 8.

And let me be the first to go old school and add Final Fantasy Legend II. The song "Mother Earth" always made me think of what I'd feel like in the back of a car all sad and waving goodbye to my mom. Click on the link to listen to it.

Back