which filesystem? Shared by windows and linux

darkpark

Gawd
i'm dual booting windows and linux, and i also have two other NTFS partitions that hold games and my mp3 collection. my ntfs partions are mounted as read-only so that they don't become corrupted (writing to an ntfs partition is still beta from what i have read and there is a potential of corrupting files). anyway, what filesystem can safely be written to and read by windows xp and linux? (i'm not against installing drivers in windows if it allows it to access a file system in r/w mode safely.) I know that FAT32 is a possibility but FAT32 has a limitation of 4GB for files. That won't work for me. So does anyone have some suggestions?

thank you.

The limitation is actually 2 GB :(

The only real solution is to set up a seperate file server which is serving out the shared filesystem both as NFS for Unix and SMB for Windoze.

Or tight backup procedures, a glas of wodka and NTFS read/write. But NTFS is also pretty heavyweight and might be slow.

I second the glass of vodka for NTFS rw. It might go to hell, but you won't be in a state to care about it. (Estland sells some 80% vodka that'll probably strip paint off walls. Should be just about right.)

I'd suggest ext2 and explore2fs or ext2fsd, but test this thoroughly before you depend on it.

Having a separate samba/NFS server is much simpler and more reliable, and it's also just generally a nice things to have on a network (If you have more than one computer on it, at least.). Some old P2 and FreeBSD whould work fine, as long as the disk controller can handle the disks you'd want to use.

what is this glass of vodka? do you have a link for it? i've googled for it but all i get is a list of sites dealing with alcohol.

yeah, a seperate server is what i'm leaning towards to share my mp3 collection but that still leaves the issue with games (kind of!). most of my games i play in windows but there are a couple of games that i'd like to play in linux (quake, unreal tournament and doom).

darkpark said:
what is this glass of vodka? do you have a link for it? i've googled for it but all i get is a list of sites dealing with alcohol.

yeah, a seperate server is what i'm leaning towards to share my mp3 collection but that still leaves the issue with games (kind of!). most of my games i play in windows but there are a couple of games that i'd like to play in linux (quake, unreal tournament and doom).

We're definitely thinking about alcohol, yes. You'll have to decide for yourself if we're serious. :)

As for the games, reinstalling them in linux would probably be an ok idea. It's a few Gb wasted, but that's worth it IMHO.

NTFS write support in linux is no longer experimental or risky. As long as you're running a recent 2.6 kernel you have nothing to fear. I read/write to ntfs all the time in linux, and it even is no longer is listed as experimental in the kernel configuration.

BTW I could go for a drink too. Rum for me, please. :D

Back