Which email client do you use and why?

"I have to because my job uses it" aside, why does anyone use a separate client to check their email? What are the benefits to using (for example) Thunderbird to check your email (which, for example, is gmail) rather than just opening a tab in your browser and using gmail itself?

It's not that I'm against email clients, I just see what the benefits are. I use gmail all the time, and tried using both Mail and Thunderbird (I'm on OS X), but couldn't find any particular reason to use the clients vs. just using a web browser and checking gmail itself. Again, not trying to start a flame war; honest question.

I monitor 4 gmail accounts as well as an ISP mail account through Thunderbird. Those accounts are all monitored 24/7 in a single program and on a single screen. I don't have to keep a browser loaded at all times and I don't have to switch tabs to keep track of each account. All of those accounts also have local storage for all emails in case I need to find something when the net is down or the site is down.

In the last year alone, there have been several instances where gmail usage has been very spotty and in some cases completely inaccessible through the web interface for hours or even a day at a time. Not once have I had to deal with this as the IMAP portion of gmail has continued to run in each instance. Sure, there's a chance the IMAP implementation might go down, but the webmail portion won't. I will still have access to my emails through the web interface even if it's not as convenient.

I also find an actual email program to be much quicker, easier and more efficient to use than webmail. To preview an email, all I have to do is click on it and then click on another to preview that one. I don't have to go forward or back in the browser to do this. The email also loads up instantly without a need to transition to another page.

I'm not personally against a web interface for checking email. It just doesn't suit my purposes and uses and a stand alone email client does suit my purposes and uses.

I've always just used thunderbird at home (besides uedora in the 90's :D). Outlook at work.

they work :)

Home - outlook 2007 (exchange over RPC)
Work - outlook 2007
Phone - exchange sync

Everything syncs through exchange, so my staff, family and myself are always on the same page.

I use my gmail account in connection with Outlook with google calendar sync on my desktop and my netbook, plus on my Ipod Touch w/ exchange push.

I monitor 4 gmail accounts as well as an ISP mail account through Thunderbird. Those accounts are all monitored 24/7 in a single program and on a single screen. I don't have to keep a browser loaded at all times and I don't have to switch tabs to keep track of each account. All of those accounts also have local storage for all emails in case I need to find something when the net is down or the site is down.

In the last year alone, there have been several instances where gmail usage has been very spotty and in some cases completely inaccessible through the web interface for hours or even a day at a time. Not once have I had to deal with this as the IMAP portion of gmail has continued to run in each instance. Sure, there's a chance the IMAP implementation might go down, but the webmail portion won't. I will still have access to my emails through the web interface even if it's not as convenient.

I also find an actual email program to be much quicker, easier and more efficient to use than webmail. To preview an email, all I have to do is click on it and then click on another to preview that one. I don't have to go forward or back in the browser to do this. The email also loads up instantly without a need to transition to another page.

I'm not personally against a web interface for checking email. It just doesn't suit my purposes and uses and a stand alone email client does suit my purposes and uses.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't think of having multiple accounts. I think I will give a client another try.

I don't think you can use Thunderbird with hotmail/live accounts without paying a fee and I have no desire to pay a fee for that.

Incorrect. Hotmail has free POP support for use in your email client of choice. POP3 isn't pretty, and horribly inconvenient if messages aren't left on the server. However, the support is there.

Yahoo is the service you have to pay for.

Does anyone know if there is a google calendar sync capability with Thunerbird/sunbird?

Outlook 07 for both work and personal e-mail.

Outlook runs my life though so I'm biased. (My Blackberry syncs with the exchange server, so calendars, tasks etc are updated)

that is why outlook rules, sure you got to pay for it, but in the end it can just do so much more when you 'really' use it, most people dont need %90 of the outlook features, thuderbird is nice but i never liked the feel of it, or the setting up accounts and having to choose an outgoing server after and so on, and it's rules system was crap vs outlook right click - new rule, done.

Back