Which DVD Recorder?

strumbum

Limp Gawd
Hey All!

As DVD recorders have dropped in price so much I have considered getting one to meet my needs. I have two quesions:

1. Is not the time to buy or wait? 12X drives are here, but I don't know if the price is worth it. Dual Layer drivers look like they are REALLY slow (2.4x). With double the storage and 1/4 the speed ... I don't think I will get getting DL for a year.

2. Which drive? There are a lot of choices, any good experiences or a drive you have heard good things about?

TIA

I would say get the LiteOn 851S. It's an 8 speed drive, dual format, and has the highest CD-R speeds at 40x. It's a great drive, and it's cheap.

I'm partial to Sony and have never had any problems with them. Lite-On and Plextor are also very good drives. You'll pay for the Plextor reliability though.

liteon/nec/plextor but be sure to research before buying since they all seem to offer certain nifty features you might like.

djnes said:
Man, I hope this is sarcasm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, DVD-RAM is much sturdier than DVD+/-RW, in terms of rewrites and also data verification/integrity. It's a shame that more manufacturers haven't put effort into developing -RAM capability. After all, it was one of the original DVD rewritable specifications, even before DVD+RW. The new LG4120B will have 12X DVD+R writing capability, 8X -R, and 5X DVD-RAM capability too.. looks like a good drive.CDRLabs should have a review of that drive up soon.

As for Sony, their latest DW-U18A is a Lite-On OEM :p. I like the NEC2500A, and the new Plextor 712SA looks good too, if you don't want +R DL capability. The 2500A can (most probably) be modded into the 2510A, which will be able to write to +R DL discs at 2.4X.

Back