Which DS game to buy (quick responses appreciated)

Nuzzles

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got about 5 hours to decide which game I want, so I can make the payments at the same time tomorrow (buying off trademe(ebayishtypeofthing)).

Three games I'm looking at:
Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

I'm looking for a game that takes a while to beat, basically. But of course, having a quality game is an important issue as well.

So which do you all recommend?

P.S: I really dislike making these threads, but it was the first thing that came to mind. >..>

Already got Mario Kart and Advance Wars. :p

I wanna get a Wifi adapter before I get Animal Crossing, though. And I'm waiting for them to drop down in price a bit.

Definitely get Phoenix Wright. Only 10,000 copies were made. If you don't get it now, you'll get it on eBay for an exhorbitant amount.

Mario Kart is good, but I think it's a little overrated. The course design sucks, and the AI STILL cheats. Yeah, you can race online, but I would rather play battle mode online. Still a good game, just not nearly as good as it's made out to be.

Mario and Luigi should be amazing. Grab it, and be on the lookout for Super Princess Peach.

Are you serious? Only 10000? Is that worldwide, or just america? ;x

I'll have to look into this.

Under the Knife is awesome -

Get Meteos its tetris BUT BACKWARDS AND WITH ROCKETS! :D

Marokart:DS

Castlevania is amazing for DS

Yeah of those three get Phoenix Wright - it's nigh impossible to find already (I got mine!) but the other two are all over the place.

If you want a game that will last a long time...Age of Empires just came out.
I love turn based strategy games on handhelds. I can turn it on at work, do a few moves, save it, and put it away :). The DS sleep mode is great for that.

I've been playing all three. I'll give my thoughts on each, and then give you a recommendation.

Phoenix Wright: I figured I'd enjoy this one, and I do. The only bad thing is there really doesn't seem to be a huge penalty for "failure"--when you get something wrong, you've really just eliminated a few possibilities and it's really kind of trial and error. It's kind of one of those choose-your-own-adventure stories, but where you have to figure out which is the correct path. It's enjoyable, but it's not something that I can't wait to get home and play. If you don't like reading and if you crave lots of interactivity, this game isn't for you.

Trauma Center: I remember a game like this for the PC ("Life and Death," maybe?), many many years ago. Mind you it wasn't as detailed or anything, but it was something I recall liking. Trauma Center is a good game. Pretty challenging and you've got to remember a lot of things--how things work, what order to do things in, and the like. I've gotten only a little ways in and it's already whipping my butt. My fiancee likes it, at least when she's not cursing at it and slamming the DS closed.

Mario and Luigi: This is the game that has been sucking up most of my gaming time lately. I really wasn't sure if I'd enjoy this one or not, but I'm shocked to say that I do. I guess it's characterized as an RPG, but having not really played RPGs in the past I can't say if that fair or not. It's got platformer elements, puzzles to solve, blocks to punch, and enemies to kill. It's one of those games that I say I'll play for just a few more minutes, and then two hours have gone by. However, it does have some crazy or corny humour involved. If that's not your cup of tea, keep that in mind.

So, which game would I get? I think it really depends on your gaming style. Mario and Luigi is decent for quick games--but it implements a checkpoint-type save system, so unless you get to that save point you'll lose your progress. Phoenix Wright is best in this regard--you can save at any point. Trauma Center allows saves between surgeries (obviously) so this is a decent game for a quick "mission" while you're waiting for the bus or something. (A big part of my game-buying decisions hinges on the quick play portion, hence my mention of this.)

Also, you're talking about three very different games here. Trauma Center relies on the touchscreen and meticulous thinking; Mario and Luigi is about reflexes and careful button pushing; and Phoenix Wright is about using your brain and observation.

Get all three when you can, but I say start with the one that best fits your gameplay style.

LadyMakoFox said:
buy my M3 and never have to buy a game :p

No, no, no...you still buy the games. You just store them in a safe place just in case your house blows up or something.

;)

carl67lp said:
No, no, no...you still buy the games. You just store them in a safe place just in case your house blows up or something.

;)

lol

You'll be to busy watching movies, and programing junk is why I said that.

I was gonna say Advance Wars, but I see you already have that.

So I'd say Castlevania.

And geez, I didn't know Phoenix Wright was so limited. I had better snatch one. ;)

I've found you don't really need save points in DS games sice you can just close the cover and it puts the game into sleep mode. I've left my DS on for over a week in sleep mode and it still had plenty of battery power left.

PKFGimpy said:
I've found you don't really need save points in DS games sice you can just close the cover and it puts the game into sleep mode. I've left my DS on for over a week in sleep mode and it still had plenty of battery power left.

You know, that's a good point too. I'm ashamed to admit that I only accidentally stumbled across the sleep feature--shame on me for not reading the manual. Also, with the Nyko grip/charger that I bought, I get plenty of battery life so this is indeed a viable solution for most people.

The only bad thing is that my fiancee doesn't play my PSP at all, and goes for the DS all the time. Thus, if I'm in the middle of a game and haven't saved, but have set it aside, my progress is lost. (I'm too PWed to say, "No, dear, I've not saved yet. You can't play!")

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like I'll have to pick all of them up eventually.

In my haste to decide which game to get, I disregarded the shipping costs... Which were more than I was willing to pay.

Back