Which Degree is right for me?

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
Even if you want to just do basic IT work, do yourself a favor. Go to school and Study Engineering or some Math or Science.

Calc 1,2,3, Discrete, differentials, linear algebra.... thats is going to be tough work for him if he has a negative view on math.

The school I go to, Rochester Institute of Technology, has a Networking and Systems Administration major...you might want to look into some other schools if you're specifically looking for an administration degree.

As far as math goes, I only had to take discrete 1 and 2

Calc 1,2,3, Discrete, differentials, linear algebra.... thats is going to be tough work for him if he has a negative view on math.

Math is something that is hard sure, but most engineers or even people don't learn math to learn math, and math is taught not to teach math, but because it teaches a very good way of thinking and problem solving skills.

I used to hate math and struggle with it, but you eventually learn to like it. Its not to bad. Plus in any section of technology it can help.

Linear Algebra can be a amazing tool to anybody in IT.

As for MIS/CIS/Informatics/IT degrees, simply they are a waste of time.

Depends on what school. My undergrad was about 5 classes away from the full fledged CS degree (not MIS). I took ~8 or 9 programming classes (same courses as the CS students), the same CS courses as the CS students, etc.

OP: Get your MIS degree. This will teach you the basics of business and also show you what college is about. When you get out, you'll have the foundation for starting your own PC repair shop or getting a job as a network admin. Either way stick it out and finish, don't dilly dally in CC and spend your day worrying about the next stupid user wanting a PC fixed. There will always be work in fixing PCs, and if you don't get your undergrad you'll forever be stuck doing just that.

Depends on what school. My undergrad was about 5 classes away from the full fledged CS degree (not MIS). I took ~8 or 9 programming classes (same courses as the CS students), the same CS courses as the CS students, etc.

OP: Get your MIS degree. This will teach you the basics of business and also show you what college is about. When you get out, you'll have the foundation for starting your own PC repair shop or getting a job as a network admin. Either way stick it out and finish, don't dilly dally in CC and spend your day worrying about the next stupid user wanting a PC fixed. There will always be work in fixing PCs, and if you don't get your undergrad you'll forever be stuck doing just that.

What school, please show me proof of this.

What school, please show me proof of this.

University of Central Florida. B.s.C.S. has the Foundations Exam, Diff Eq, and several others.

IIRC they've consistently placed top 10 worldwide in programming competitions and have made like 3rd place once even.

EDIT: 6 total classes are different, including the exam.

I looked at both the CS and IT graduation requirements at the school and they are quite different. Not even similar, except a few elementary classes. Im not doubting that its a good program, just there is a difference between cs and IT.

The school I go to, Rochester Institute of Technology, has a Networking and Systems Administration major...you might want to look into some other schools if you're specifically looking for an administration degree.

As far as math goes, I only had to take discrete 1 and 2

[PLUG]
The department is also ABET accredited (I think there are less than 25 accredited IT/IS degrees in the country) and a Center of Academic Excellence as certified by the NSA (I think there are about 80 of them in the country).
[/PLUG]

This thread has reassured me of my decision to be going into MIS.

I'm finishing my freshmen year at University of Iowa. I'm glad that I'm seeing positive feedback about M.I.S.

Do any of you recommend minors? I know CS would be a popular one, but I'm not liking the requirements for it... I wish I could explain in detail but the CS program here at Iowa isn't the greatest. I know in Intro to Comp Sci they taught students how to copy/paste....

Or do any of you have any recommendations on areas of focus, with MIS at Iowa you have a lot of electives you can take (focus on the Web or Databases)....

I looked at both the CS and IT graduation requirements at the school and they are quite different. Not even similar, except a few elementary classes. Im not doubting that its a good program, just there is a difference between cs and IT.

It's quite obvious you were a CS major at another school so let me help you: You didn't go to UCF, so why would I take your advice over the differences? Were you in either program? I didn't think so....

It's quite obvious you were a CS major at another school so let me help you: You didn't go to UCF, so why would I take your advice over the differences? Were you in either program? I didn't think so....

has nothing to do with me going there are not. I can look at the degree requirements and see according to abet standards what are the similarities and differences.

Sorry for the late bump, I'm still having a really hard time figuring out what the heck to do in College and class signups are less than a month away!:eek:

For the community college I'm going to, for computer related stuff I can either pick Computer Science (which I am not at all interested in), general IT associates (which for now seems like the route for me) and Business Administration.

If I want to do MIS for my bachelors, should I take the general IT associates degree for the first two years, then transfers out, or take the Business Administration and then do MIS for another 2 years?

here is how i see it...
Associates - gives you just the education you need. No 'filler' classes for 1/2 your time in school. Expect to make less initially and to have a harder time to find a job though, because those extra 2 years of filler can mean a lot to the HR dept or the manager who is going to hire you who most likely has a 4 year degree themselves.

Although, if your like me, you can luck out and find a manager who evaluates you on what you know, not how long you spent in school to learn the same skills. (i have a 2 year associates and for my company i currently manage all windows systems (60 of them or so), a vmware esx farm, a citrix farm and our cisco enterprise wireless)

Oh and i agree with most education coming outside of school. My degree prepared me for terminology and the basics. But actually seeing it in use, brings it to a whole other level.

I think you all have a funny perspective about what college is supposed to provide. Degrees and the education you get in college teach you how to think critically and develop an approach to any problem you may come across. Think of it as meta-training.

When someone is a fresh graduate from college, they are pretty much worthless as an IT tech, this is true. However, I would argue that if you took the same person, copied them, then sent one through college while the other worked at mcdonald's, then introduced them both to the same position, the one with the college degree would fair much better than the other. Initially and in the long run.

The OP I only say this: all you may want to do right now is help desk stuff, and that's fine. that's all I wanted to do for a long time too. However, there comes a time when you start seeing better ways to do things; your interests change, and you think you could do a great job being in charge. If not of people, then the direction of the technology in your company. To do any of that, you need a degree. Get a BS in Information Management ( or systems, ect... ). You will use it before your career is up, and will be thankful you have it.

get MCSE CCNP...

Forget college, it is a waste. I'm so tired of interviewing college grads in ISYS who don't know what the registry is. "Yes, i will trust you to fix all our windows server boxes... oh snap, you are useless."

Another thumbs down at this comment. Why people don't learn about the registry in college is because it doesn't require college to understand what it is... This is just as bad as not hiring a smart programmer because he doesn't know syntax.

Back on topic. I would suggest Comp Sci or Comp Eng. for sure. It's harder, but you'll get much more out of it if you pay attention in class. There's so many nifty things I've learned that I wouldn't know what to do without them.

Back