Which DAC for around $100-150?

jacqg

Gawd
I've been using my Fiio E17 + L7 as my DAC and my E17 just died a week ago. It's going to China for repair so I'm trying to figure out if there' s a cheap alternative that I can buy to have as a DAC sufficient for my Audioengine A5's. I have a Xonar DG on my computer rig and with the A5's they sound a bit hollow which I really don't like so I'm trying to look for something to replace it. Also, I plan to just use the E17 as my portable rig when it comes back so it's not really a temporary thing, but rather something that'll stay with my A5's at home. My question is which DAC should I use for the A5's? Would headphone DACs and DACs for speakers be the same thing? I've been looking at the HRT Music Streamer II which is around $120used, which isn't bad at all but do I have any other options?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

I've been looking at the HRT Music Streamer II which is around $120used, which isn't bad at all but do I have any other options?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

I love my music streamer II :D
So much that I'm saving for a Streamer II+

Have you looked into the new ODAC?

Actually no, I'm waiting for the ODA/ODAC though if I do decide to go that route. I don't want to get a standalone ODAC and then discard it when the ODA comes.

I love my music streamer II :D
So much that I'm saving for a Streamer II+

There's a Streamer II+? What speakers or headphones do you connect them to?

Actually no, I'm waiting for the ODA/ODAC though if I do decide to go that route. I don't want to get a standalone ODAC and then discard it when the ODA comes.

There's a Streamer II+? What speakers or headphones do you connect them to?

II+ is $350, for $150 the II is an absolute winner
the stuff is in my sig

Why would you have to discard it? You could get the ODA without the ODAC, and use the ODAC with the ODA when it comes out.

Otherwise, based on what you said, you can get some other brand DAC and throw it out when you get the ODA...

(ODAC+O2 user here, waiting for the ODA to tidy up cabling)

If you like the A5s, why not Audioengine's D1? It's a few more bucks, but adds Toslink, headphone jack & volume pot.

I'll also recommend the HRT Music Streamer II for $150. I haven't gotten it yet, but my own research shows that its highly recommended (even NwAvGuy recommends it), and the price is excellent for an asynchronous USB DAC.

However, be aware that it is a straight DAC. Meaning you have a USB-in and a line-level stereo-out. Thats it. No headphone amp or volume control. You'll need to get a dedicated headphone amp/speaker amp/preamp/active speakers if you want to use anything with it.

Wonder how the D1 compares to the HRT MS II, at first blush it looks like a slightly better value...

Back