Which D-Link router to buy?

Jzabi

Weaksauce
Well, I am getting rid of my old router. It can't seem to handle playing mutliple games. (2 games running on pc, one on xbox 360)

Which one of these would you choose?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ategoryId=pcmcat102800050000&id=1188561003287

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ategoryId=pcmcat102800050000&id=1157068454881

I am leaning towards the first choice, the xtreme gaming router. However is the Wired ports just a switch or are they part of the router? If it is just a switch will it matter?

Like for example, the second choice it looks like the wired LAN ports are a router and not a switch.

Thanks in advance

I am leaning towards the first choice, the xtreme gaming router. However is the Wired ports just a switch or are they part of the router? If it is just a switch will it matter?

Like for example, the second choice it looks like the wired LAN ports are a router and not a switch.

Thanks in advance

Like most home grade routers...the 4x switch ports built into the back are just the LAN ports for the built in 4 port switch that sits behind the router. If you need more wired ports..just uplink to another switch.

I don't need more than four ports, the problem I am having that is making me have to get a new router is that every time someone is on one of the wired pc's playing a game, the xbox 360 can not connect to xbox live and fails the MTU test. I have done everything microsoft tech support says, except for the option of "buy a different router". (I have tweaked the MTU settings, opened all the ports for the xbox, and turned off the firewall)

Do you think the new router will help the issue?

Do you think the new router will help the issue?

Hard to say, I don't know what you have now, I haven't spent time researching various XBox Live forums to see what others have going on with your current router....

I know XBox Live can be touch with various routers. Not only with a specific model of router..but even with the version of firmware that's on the router. What I've found works best...create a DHCP reservation for your XBox 360 so that it always gets a static LAN IP every time.

Open/forward
• Port 88, UDP
• 3074 UDP
• 3074 TCP
to the LAN IP of your XBox

Set the MTU on your router to 1364.

Here's a list..but it's not frequently updated with current models that often...
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/homenetworking/equipment.htm

I replaced my 655 with the 4500. The LCD is a gimmick, but the 4500 has newer technology in it that outperforms the 655.

Hmmm, I'll try to assign it a static IP address to the xbox.
I am sort of a n00b at that, I always do auto.
My questions then are:

1. Do I assign it a static IP in the router settings, or do I just manually enter an IP address on the xbox 360 itself.

2. If I manually enter it into the xbox 360, I just have to choose an IP address within the range of my router

3. If I do that, what stops my other computers from taking the xbox's assigned IP address?

I think that is the last thing I can do, trying the static IP. I appreciate everyones help, thank you so much.

Hmmm, I'll try to assign it a static IP address to the xbox.
I am sort of a n00b at that, I always do auto.
My questions then are:

1. Do I assign it a static IP in the router settings, or do I just manually enter an IP address on the xbox 360 itself.

2. If I manually enter it into the xbox 360, I just have to choose an IP address within the range of my router

3. If I do that, what stops my other computers from taking the xbox's assigned IP address?

I think that is the last thing I can do, trying the static IP. I appreciate everyones help, thank you so much.

Some routers support "DHCP Reservations"..if you log onto their web admin page, head towards the DHCP sections. It may be called other names also..like static IP. Say your router is 192.168.1.1, and it normally hands out DHCP addresses to clients like 192.168.1.100. You can plug in the XBoxs MAC address..and have the DHCP service always give it something like 192.168.1.110. yes..you have to give it an IP in the sam range as the routers LAN scope. That way..you can open/forward those ports.

The DHCP manager knows that it handed out that IP address, and logically will not give it to another PC..DHCP services keep their own database of IPs used by clients.

If you don't get a satisfactory here look at the manuals for each, they are on-line. Or, ask D-Link support.

Ok, thank you. I found the problem.
Somehow the new 360 took one of my pc's MAC address and was using it as its Alternate MAC address. I just cleared the alternate address and everything works fine now.
I do have a seperate question, but I will post it in a different thread.

Back