Which curved 4k LCD would you get for gaming for <$800?

misfitsfiend

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys I'm in the market for a display to replace my 7 year old Asus 24" LCD. Lately I've seen a ton of 34" curved screens in the ~$700 range but I'm not sure which one to pick. I use my desktop mostly for gaming and browsing, so don't really care about super-duper color accuracy. G-sync seems cool because I've had issues with screen tearing in games, but I don't want it to throw me over my budget. I've had a 5ms LCD before and didn't notice any ghosting, but anything more than that seems like it might be too much. I don't have any brand loyalty. I'm also not sure about IPS vs VA.

what I want:
4k (or at least 1440p)
30" at least
excellent gaming performance

what I've looked at:
Dell U3415W
LG 34UC87C
XR341CK

my pc specs:
i7 4770k
EVGA GTX 980
16GB ram
256GB SSD

if you're trying to game at 4K without SLI you're going to have a bad time.

I played GTAV on Asus PB287Q @4k on a single R9 290x just fine.

And I don't wanna go $500 over my budget on the Acer Predator. I'm gonna try to wait till Black Friday or Cyber Monday to get the best possible deal though.

I played GTAV on Asus PB287Q @4k on a single R9 290x just fine.

And I don't wanna go $500 over my budget on the Acer Predator. I'm gonna try to wait till Black Friday or Cyber Monday to get the best possible deal though.

Depends on the quality settings you want to use.

My take is this.
When I play a game for the first time I want the best experience I can get.
I can only just do that in some games at 1080p with a clocked 980ti !!

I would NEVER use a 290x for 4K, I'm not even happy with a single 980ti.
It will need dual cards at minimum unless you want to waste the first experience of a game.

Think of it like this.
A new film that gets hit reviews comes out and it is just what you like.
Would you download a cam or watch the Blu Ray / go to the cinema?

if you're trying to game at 4K without SLI you're going to have a bad time.
This

Sent back the Dell because it just didn't feel worth the $1050 I paid. But now that it's under $800, that would be the one I would go with on that budget.

Personally, I'm getting a Predator.

A new film that gets hit reviews comes out and it is just what you like.
Would you download a cam or watch the Blu Ray / go to the cinema?

1080@40"+ with shadows/ambient occlusion looks alot more like a camcorder than 4K without.

Going big is its own experience, for some its worth sacrificing some bells and whistles to achieve.

A large drop in image quality and a large drop in framerate is a lot to stomach.
It will not make for a better experience imo.
Everyone is different though and if you already have the hardware, its easier to stick with it so fair enough.
But it is something to be guarded about if considering moving to 4K.

You are confusing issues, going big isnt our discussion topic.
There are large screen 1080p displays as well, mine is 110" and is fantastic!
Its going to be a long time before 4K will bring a better experience partially because I intend on staying with single card.
I love constant 60fps and maximum quality settings. Its a shame to waste a games potential on the first playthough, especially if it will only be played once.
(There are so many games now, its hard to have the time for repeated plays)

Tom's Hardware said:
Then again, you don’t need to spend $650 to enjoy fluid performance on a QHD monitor. A Radeon R9 Fury, GeForce GTX 980, or Radeon R9 390X should be plenty in most games

I don't need a constant 60FPS to enjoy the games I play. (besides CS:GO) I'm not gonna double my budget for 10 extra FPS guys.

None of the displays you listed are 4k they are all 21:9 1440p which is a better choice anyway for a single 980. The only one that even fits the budget of under $800 is the Dell. If you don't mind under 60 fps performance of a single card, some screen tearing, and 20ms input lag then I guess you can go for the Dell but I would personally look at other options.

None of the displays you listed are 4k they are all 21:9 1440p which is a better choice anyway for a single 980. The only one that even fits the budget of under $800 is the Dell. If you don't mind under 60 fps performance of a single card, some screen tearing, and 20ms input lag then I guess you can go for the Dell but I would personally look at other options.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8151128-34-lg-34uc87c-3440x1440-qhd-curved-ips-monitor-720-free-shipping

The LG is $720 right now, and I'm very certain there will be quite a few 34" curved monitors available at my price point for Black Friday. Also, I didn't realize 3440x1440 wasn't 4k, just UQHD. (I thought the Q=quad=4k lol) It says 5ms response time..is that not good enough for gaming?

My trusty Asus 24" is listed as 2ms, but it's 7 years old, so I feel like anything will be a pretty good upgrade.

Nah 5ms is good enough. My Acer's IPS is marketed as 4ms and I also have an Asus VG248QE with a TN 1ms response time and really the only way I would notice a difference is if I were to put the two side by side and compare it directly. Otherwise the IPS panel has been fast enough on it's own.

Back