Which CPU for Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra?

n370zed

Limp Gawd
I ran into a insanely great deal on this Motherboard(By insane I meant it was damn near close to being FREE.). I’m coming from a 2500k overclocked to 4.7ghz with a GTX 1080FE. Which Ryzen CPU? It’s purely for gaming. I’ll be needing ram as well but I’m not too picky about that.

BTW I have a 27 inch 1440p 144hz GSYNC monitor. Overwatch and WoW Classic are my main games.

i'd say either the 3600 for cost or 3700x if you absolutely need the extra 200mhz boost and want a few more threads. memory anything at ddr4 3600 would be fine though i'd stay away from the hynix stuff just due to the insanely high timings.. ballistix micron rev. E is pretty damn good for the price and easy to overclock.

Unless you needed 2+ nvme drives to capture your gaming content, that only other thing to consider is whether your games prefer cores over frequency.
I noticed BO4 Blackout responded well to a 1700x I picked up to build a friends kids first gaming box over my 2600.
Both are clocked to the usual advised everyday 3.9ghz for 1700x and 4.2/4.1 for the 2600.

BO4 just likes the extra 2 cores.
95-100% useage 1-2 cores is noticeable in a match.

So go play a bunch on what you have, then swap to an 8-core to see if you notice stability improvement or overall frame time/in game improvement.

All the nodding heads that say x600 for gaming and 8+ core for productivity are frankly mouthing what they've read from a majority of other nodding heads.

I used a 3440x1440, 27" 1440p 165hz, and 1080p 180hz Gsync monitors to take the 6 and 8core cpus thru my games. 8-core was always better.

When MW Beta comes out, I'm going to test both CPUS and 3 monitors and see where the beta sits.
That's the fun or pain of games, you really never know title to title how a pile of parts is going to work with a given build.

Test your own use cases.

I recommend the 3950x or the 3900 if you need it right now:). But i also think the 16 thread cpus work out very well...It be hard to go backwards for me lol

all he's doing is gaming, the 3900x is a complete waste of money.
i was being a tiny bit sarcastic lol...is why i also mentioned a decent 16 thread highest clock cpu in the end comment. (but honestly one is better than the other lol);) there is really no wrong choice

If the most taxing thing you make your machine do is game... then 3600 or 3600x. I would go on cost. I picked up a 3600x recently and am extremely pleased... I run an ultra wide 2560x1080 monitor, which is unfortunately 75hz. (144hz ultrawides are still pricey and once you go UW its pretty much impossible to go back) Having said that I have yet to find a game I can't run at ultra pegged at 75FPS with a lowly RX 570. (which is damn smooth) So I can't imagine with a 1080 you would have much issue keeping your monitor fed at or very close to its max refresh. I went 3600x over 3600 cause I got a good deal... the local part dealer was willing to match and beat a good online price and I ended up getting a 3600x at close enough price wise to make it a no brainer.

If you have the money 3700x 2 more cores... won't really effect your FPS much, still no doubt it's slightly better.

For just gaming I wouldn't bother with the 3900 or waiting for a 3950. Anything over 8 cores for games is pretty much a waste for the next 5-8 years (as the next gen consoles are all 8 core) I doubt many if any games released the next few years will scale at all over 8 cores. Also nothing stopping you from selling a 3600/3700 chip in a year and popping in a 3950 when the next gen results in last gen sales. (or if AMD sticks with AM4 for a Zen2+ perhaps even a 4700 or something lol)

8 core 16 thread minimum as that is what the 2020 consoles will have — and will soon to be the minimum for next gen game development.

If you've stayed on the 2500K for so long already, then pick up the 3600 and be happy with your cheap purchase.

If you want a cheap upgrade path, you can pick up the end of life last AM4 CPU on your X570 after BIOS updates.

8 core 16 thread minimum as that is what the 2020 consoles will have — and will soon to be the minimum for next gen game development.

that's never the minimum.. even most console games right now don't use all 7 cores available to them on the ps4/xbox1. there's only maybe 10-12 games that do and most of them are microsoft games other than the battlefield series games.

that's never the minimum.. even most console games right now don't use all 7 cores available to them on the ps4/xbox1. there's only maybe 10-12 games that do and most of them are microsoft games other than the battlefield series games.
Next gen

It’s coming

Next gen

It’s coming

you do realize that the ps4 and xbox1 have a custom 8 core jaguar processor right? on the xbox 1, 1 core is dedicated to the OS and background applications. the other 7 can be used for games/media. i have no clue how sony allocates their cores on the ps4 since i'll never own one.

you do realize that the ps4 and xbox1 have a custom 8 core jaguar processor right? on the xbox 1, 1 core is dedicated to the OS and background applications. the other 7 can be used for games/media. i have no clue how sony allocates their cores on the ps4 since i'll never own one.
Yes

It’s inevitable they will move to utilizing all cores for triple A platform engines. PC hardware and console hardware will basically be one and the same this next gen. I’m simply advising a new purchase not have less threads than what the 2020 consoles have been specced at. This shouldn’t be a controversial suggestion to anyone.

I own 3900x and 3600.

3900X is a fuckin total waste of money for pure gaming.

3600 is just as fast in games for 300 less. Get that. X is a waste of money on 3600 also.

The 3600 non x is running like 30% to 60% util in aaa games and my 5700xt is pegged so the 3600 is a monster. And a 5700xt is as fast as 2080 or 2070 super if your more nvidia knowledged.

The only thing I will add is that if you are going to go cheap, don't buy a first gen ryzen as a lot of the x570 boards dropped support for them.

Still a lot of good deals to be had though on last gen parts. Seems to be a regular flow of 2700x for $150 in FS section.

If you have a Microcenter around, you can score a 2700x for $160 or a 3600x for $199 non x $190 and you get a Borderlands 3 or Outerworlds code. Cool thing about AM4 is that I think Zen3 will slot into the socket as well, beats what Intel has done for years with 1156,1155,1150, 1151, 1151 v2 junk :)

Back