Which cooler for core i7

slugbug

Weaksauce
I'm starting my core i7 build soon and have a few coolers here to choose from. Which would offer the best cooling?

- Cooler Master Hyper N 620
- Cooler Master V8
- Cooler Master V10
- Thermaltake SpinQ

TRUE for all out best cooling

Noctua for silent cooling with excellent performance. Mine is almost silent I can barely hear the computer running.

I second the TRUE, any reason why that isn't on your list?

Mainly because I don't have one. I already have all the other coolers I mentioned from beta testing and contest wins. I guess I'll use the V10 which is currently in my P45 rig.
I only asked because I haven't tested any of these on a core i7 yet and am not sure how they'll perform.

i'd throw in a vote for the V8, it has served me very well so far. i really don't think you can go wrong with any of the known top coolers

my noctua has kept my core i7 from ever going over 31 degrees thus far.

31 degrees? I find that hard to believe, unless u're in Antarctica or something, mine idles at 38, anyways Scythe Mugen 2 gets my vote, cheap and great, i'm running 1.35V and i load at 78C, which is pretty good, V10's not worth the money IMO

don't forget about the OCZ vendetta 2 either! Just as good as the TRUE (well...maybe a smidge worse) for about half the price! Around $40...

31 degrees? I find that hard to believe, unless u're in Antarctica or something, mine idles at 38, anyways Scythe Mugen 2 gets my vote, cheap and great, i'm running 1.35V and i load at 78C, which is pretty good, V10's not worth the money IMO

I second this.

The Mugen 2 is quite affordable and does a great job, with no lapping.

4.0 is quite obtainable with the Scythe.

He's not asking what you use, he's asking which of the four heat sinks he listed would cool an i7 better. He already owns those heat sinks... Reading comprehension?

The V10 will work best. In my testing the V10 bested the TRUE on i7.

ditto for the Mugen 2...I just bought one on the weekend, and I was thinking about the V10 (it's cool looking!!), but then my sensibilty kicked in and I just couldn't justify the extra $100!! And the TEC only kicks in on the V10 AFTER 70c!!

So, from what I get from the previous responses...
TRUE
Mugen2
V8

BUT, you can get the Mugen 2 AND a Noctura fan for the price of the TRUE alone...and trust me, this thing is QUIET with the Noctura fan installed!!!

He's not asking what you use, he's asking which of the four heat sinks he listed would cool an i7 better. He already owns those heat sinks... Reading comprehension?

The V10 will work best. In my testing the V10 bested the TRUE on i7.

Thanks for that :)

Wow. People don't read that well huh...

If you already have it, I'd go with the V10. The V8 I have is alright but noisy, and the mounting kinda sucks. I imagine it's the same for the V10, but at least it'll perform better I am sure.

Back