Which components should I test to help diagnose this laptop video problem? It works w/ hdmi only.

joe7dust

Limp Gawd
My buddy was attempting to replace his keyboard and said he accidentally let some metal make contact with the main board. Afterwards he can only use hdmi to his TV and the internal screen never lights up at all.

I took it apart and thoroughly tested the cables. I was hoping to find a short in the main lvds. After some testing with the multimeter and seeing that pins 3 and 9 are shorted together, I unraveled the cable hoping to find an unintended short there. The cable integrity looks good. I noticed that pins 3 and 9 are both black so I am going to assume that this normal because they are both ground.

I am now at a crossroads where I believe it to need a new LCD panel or a new motherboard. I would like to do further testing on the motherboard before ordering one of those two parts. Which components should I test specifically?

Here is a picture! https://i.imgur.com/MwTJoKR.jpg

If I don't get any replies here my plan is to order a new lcd since it is only $40 even though I know it is probably motherboard problem.

Shine a flashlight onto the LCD screen to see if the pixels are turning ON. Maybe the backlight is fried.

Shine a flashlight onto the LCD screen to see if the pixels are turning ON. Maybe the backlight is fried.

It was the motherboard as expected. I'm still interested in getting the schematics for it to repair the old one. I have only seen it on one site and it is $11.

Back