Which colour is + and which is - ?

slowbiz

2[H]4U
Concerning front panel chassis cables (HDD led, pwr sw, etc)... is the colour postive and white negative? This is driving me nuts because I should know, but I don't and I can't find in anywhere. My google skills are sucking right now.

slowbiz said:
Concerning front panel chassis cables (HDD led, pwr sw, etc)... is the colour postive and white negative? This is driving me nuts because I should know, but I don't and I can't find in anywhere. My google skills are sucking right now.

Yes, generally you can assume the color that all the wires have in common is the ground color. In the case you are talking about white is ground. It matters with the power switch, Power LED and HDD LED, but does not matter with the reset switch. With the speaker, black is neg and red is pos.

One tip you can use: most cases employ for each LED one colored wire (green, yellow, red, orange, blue) and another wire that is either black or white. When this is the case, usually the colored wire is positive (signal) and the black or white wire is negative (ground). This isn't always true, but it's better than a random guess in most cases.

http://www.pcguide.com/proc/config/mbcase-c.html

gl :)

J_I_M_B_O said:
Sure thing that black=Negetive & Red=Possitive
Only in America, really. The rest of the world commonly uses WHITE as ground while any non-White color can be seen as the (+) rail.

svet-am said:
Only in America, really. The rest of the world commonly uses WHITE as ground while any non-White color can be seen as the (+) rail.
?

Maybe in electronics but in electrical wiring in the USA black/red is always a hot wire.

White is always Nuetral/ground.

Not sure if this translates to electronics but I would think that it would......

Reagent said:
?

Maybe in electronics but in electrical wiring in the USA black/red is always a hot wire.

White is always Nuetral/ground.

Not sure if this translates to electronics but I would think that it would......

black/red/blue are hot and white is ground in AC power systems in the US.
red is hot and black is ground when dealing with DC power systems.

It depends. On boats, yellow is ground. In cars, brown can be ground. There are many different standards.

The original poster is asking computer cases. There's no standard for these that I've ever read; I've had to rewire more than one case to get it working because the cables weren't compatible with the motherboard.

Back