Which Colleges Are The Biggest BitTorrent Users?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Which colleges have the most pirates...errr, I mean most BitTorrent users? You just MIghT be surprised. ;)

For more than a decade universities have been battling a persistent piracy problem. While progress has been made over the past few years, there are still plenty of illicit file-sharers present on university networks. Today we look at the top universities in the United States ranked by BitTorrent usage. Perhaps not surprisingly, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology comes out on top, followed by Rutgers and New York University.

No Harvard? Even after all the cheating scandals? I smell lawyer.

It'd be interesting to also see of those schools what's the average speed for students on campus either labs, wifi, or resNET (they still have this in dorms? or is it all wireless now).

That said I was cringing paying $65k a year way back in 2000, maybe they have no money for their ill gotten gains :D ... "luckily" I didn't get accepted and as a result not in debt for the prime of my life :D

65k for which school?

If you go to UH (University of Houston), instate tuition is 20k. Pretty good school and students come out with least amount of debt than most.

MIT is by far the smallest school in the top 10, so they also have by far the highest per-capita torrent usage, while the other schools in the top 10 are fairly large (20K+ students). The rankings don't seem to distinguish between different sized schools.

65k for which school?

If you go to UH (University of Houston), instate tuition is 20k. Pretty good school and students come out with least amount of debt than most.
65k was for MIT. And I realize there were cheaper options out there, however there is something to be said based upon your major for certain schools. MIT probably could open up a few more doors in say physics (my major) than could San Francisco State, which was more than 10 times cheaper at the time. Now if you go to Harvard and spend 80k a year for a liberal arts degree then you kind of deserve to be in debt... assuming you don't come from money as it is.

Ah dam my school is #11. I remember when I was in school (2000) how we had 2 dedicated boxes downloading stuff in my buddies dorm room.

you would think if you were smart enough to go to MIT you would be smart enough to use a VPN

It'd be interesting to also see of those schools what's the average speed for students on campus either labs, wifi, or resNET (they still have this in dorms? or is it all wireless now).

When i was in the dorms at my uni, the speed would saturate 100Mbit ethernet connection so i'm not sure how fast it actually was without being on a gigabit network.

Oh... and peer-to-peer was blocked. :(

Had to make do with file-sharing sites and programs that download multiple links (parts) at once. Not the greatest way of getting stuff but the upside is immediately pulling 11-12 MBps down. No waiting for seeders or seeding yourself

Bittorrent has legitimate uses, I'm sure the MIT students are simply downloading the latest linux distros!

i find this amusing, i can block torrents with the click of one option in untangle and it works great!

now i know other use VPN;s but those are easy to throttle to hell and back if you really wanted to.

also just give people bandwidth limits and caps...i do it at work!

with the high ass tuition, soon MIT students will be pirating their lunch and dinner.

UW #11, whoo!

Actually, when I was there it was all about the DirectConnect++ hub. I even ran it one year.

19 (21) Ohio State University 561
20 (1) Ohio State University 558
If you combine these two, OSU is 4th, much more in line with what I would expect.

I remember the dorms at GA tech. Internet speed only limited by your network card. How could you not torrent like a crazy person with a connection like that?

Back