which cisco router? (cisco 1841)

bluesmap

Limp Gawd
im trying to get some hands on working and configuring routers. still in the early stages.
my friend gave me a cisco router (cisco 1841) because he's now taking some courses and wants to get certified (network+, ccna) and he wants me to get certified also.

is this router a good one to go with or would i be able to sell this one used and purchase another router to learn on? i know i have to eventually get a switch and just take some time learning that too so if anyone can recommend both a router and a switch that would be great. i really dont want to spend alot of money on a switch because funds are limited

It would be fine for now IMO. I'm a few months into my Cisco study but I went all out and bought a 3725 so that I wouldn't have to upgrade in the future. Any free router is a good router for starting with.

Once you get to the point where you're missing features in your study because the router doesn't support them, go ahead with getting a better one. In the mean time, any managed Cisco router will do just about anything you need to do to get through the CCENT, at least, maybe even the CCNA.

If anything, start looking at getting a cheap managed switch too.

I would like to point out that the stickied thread at the top of this forum about Dynagen and Cisco studies will allow you to study just about anything without needing any actual hardware at all.

are there some managed switches that you can recommend?
i HAVE been looking at some switches but i havent narrowed the list to the ones that i can use through the CCENT/CCNA.

thanks and let me go check out that sticky right away

Holy crap your friend is pretty cool. I wish someone gave me an 1841 :p That's more than enough to get you through the CCNA. I used 2621's and they worked great.

For managed switches, look into 2950's. I got 2 on ebay for $120 shipped :). There are good deals to be had, you just need to look around.

two for $120??????

are you kidding? LOL

yeah my friend wants to get a bunch of certs and he wants me to get some too so we can learn off each other. i have that cbt nuggets library and a whole bunch of comptia dvd's but i didnt have any hardware. he might have gotten an old one from his job or he had some lying around the house i dont know. but he's helping me out and im happy about that.

ill look into finding a 2950

two for $120??????

are you kidding? LOL

yeah my friend wants to get a bunch of certs and he wants me to get some too so we can learn off each other. i have that cbt nuggets library and a whole bunch of comptia dvd's but i didnt have any hardware. he might have gotten an old one from his job or he had some lying around the house i dont know. but he's helping me out and im happy about that.

The CBT nuggets training usually includes virtual machine simulators for whatever product your getting a cert on. Same thing with a lot of the CompTIA self study software. You might be able to use the included simulators instead of buying hardware.

two for $120??????

are you kidding? LOL

Lol, is that good or bad? But no, I wasn't kidding.

The CBT Nuggets series is very good, but it doesn't cover everything so make sure to have supplemental reading material. Todd Lammle's stuff is extremely good.

Edited to add: Just won a 2620 with a WIC-2T card for $19.99 plus $23 shipping = $43. The WIC-2t cards run around $30 alone :) JBidWatcher is so awesome ;)

Last edited:
Back