Which Chipset for a new Build?

BigGreenMat

Limp Gawd
So my old Athlon X2 939 and mobo finally bit the dust and it just doesn't seem worth it any more to try to keep it going. So I am looking for a new Mobo/CPU/RAM combo. Looking out at the landscape now is awfully confusing. I can't make heads or tails of it. Which, is the best chipset if I am looking for a solid board that I could overclock if I wanted to, but I don't need bleeding edge overclocking. I don't plan on doing any SLI or Crossfire. I am thinking I want DDR3 as the prices are the same now for RAM and it would make sense to have newer RAM. I also want decent gaming performance as well as the requisite connectivity.

So what chipset gives all those things in a low price package? 785g? 790X? 770? 790FX? 790GX? I mean what am I getting if I spend more? I ideally would like the price to be sub $100.

If you want to save some money try one of the 790X boards. I recently added the Asus M4A79TXTD EVO to my collection and it is a very good board for the $. If you are not going to run 2 video cards they have about the same specs as the 790FX boards.

I got the best of the both worlds in my opinion

I bought the Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0 Motherboard from the Egg about a year ago now and it's got the AMD 790GX / SB750 NB/SB chipsets. They do great - this board is actually capable of "unlocking" the cores on the Phenom II 550, Phenom II 720, etc. (But I used my Phenom II X4 955 BE on it instead)

I was afraid the board may not be too good - but it turned out to be my favorite motherboard ever. And I originally had an EVGA 132-YW-E179-A1 (nForce 790i SLI 4TW) with a Q9650. My Foxconn + Phenom II combo outperformed @ the same speeds (3.6GHz per core)

Back