Which cases will fit EE-ATX (Enhanced Extended ATX)

Discussion in 'Cases & Case Modding' started by mi2andrew, May 28, 2011.

1. mi2andrew

mi2andrew n00b

I've been doing research for a few hours now and still have not come up with a SOLID case for this motherboard which has the format EE-ATX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182177

I've read that this case "works" but still I have no confirmation. I'm looking to spend around 100-200 tops for this case and prefer not to do any drilling. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Blue Fox

Blue Fox [H]ardForum Junkie

Supermicro's own cases are designed to accommodate such boards as it's a proprietary design. You may want to reconsider your motherboard choice if you have that little of a budget for a case. The only reason to get a board in that format (which presumably is the one you linked) is when you actually need all the RAM slots. If you need more than 96gb of RAM, well, what's a few hundred when you'll be spending thousands on RAM? If you don't, there are plenty of similar motherboards that just have 12 slots instead of 18 and are the usual EATX (X8DTH-iF would be a good example).

3. zero2dash

zero2dash [H]ardness Supreme

If you don't have to have a Supermicro board (but still need a DP Xeon board) check out one of the ATX Asus DP 1366 boards, they will fit in anything.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

You can't oc on them, not sure about the Supermicro's (though I would assume the same is true).....if you're looking to oc on a DP Xeon your only option (AFAIK) is an SR-2 and those are limited even more than the Supermicro into what they can fit in. Luckily they do fit in several of the larger full tower Lian Li cases, that's why I grabbed an A77 for mine.

4. mi2andrew

mi2andrew n00b

Sweet thanks for all your help guys! Definitely looking into the ASUS DP boards but definitely sucks that I can't overclock because I plan on getting two Intel E5620 Westmeres!

5. Topweasel

Topweasel [H]ard|Gawd

Little more research into what makes it an ee-ATX. Turns out its in regards to the amount of PCB above the I/O ports. I don't know how that affects mounting. But assuming that the mounting points in conjunction with the I/O ports is the same then any case with the PSU on the bottom and supports e-ATX should be fine. But I think it does and you need a Supermicro case.

Edit: Zooming in on the MB on the newegg link proves it. This MB is pretty much incompatible with other cases, anything ATX will not work with it because the mounting point vs I/O panel is off by almost 2 inches. So anything backwards compatible with ATX (E-ATX, m-ATX, iTX and so on) won't work with this.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  6. avddreamr

avddreamr Gawd

7. zero2dash

zero2dash [H]ardness Supreme

Xigmatek Elysium is (IMHO) a better option for an SR-2 case right now; they should be out soon, reportedly the MSRP is $199, and they fit HPTX with no mods necessary. If I didn't already have my LL, I'd buy one of those for my SR-2.