Which card do I want for 3440x1440 in an FT-02 Case?

Boyiee

Limp Gawd
Basically two questions.

Which GPU do I want to power a 21:9 3440x1440 monitor, and which model do I want to handle the 90 degree mobo rotation of the Silverstone FT-02.

I ask because of the way the intake and exhaust on the cards would work in this case, do I want a blower or not etc.

I'm tempted to buy a 970 due to the price and maybe upgrade to Sli later on, but I might not want to spend that extra money in the future and might be better off just getting a 980 now.

Look at the strix review they just did. That 21:9 res will be 30% harder to drive that 2560. Look at the numbers and minus 30% roughly from their figures and you will see one card aint gonna cut it at all. Im very interested in that monitor also but im not willing to have over a grand just in graphics just to drive the damn thing

SLI will almost be a requirement for decent frames. 980's have the blower style cooler with very little 970's having that option. I really dont know what you should do cause im facing the same questions.

If I need more than a single 980 I'll probably go the sli 970 route.

most games I am getting close to 60 fps with a single 970 overclocked. Some dip a little below on ultra. That is without anything like supersampling or tesselation. Those will kill performance even for a 1080p. Still easier to drive than 4k. I would say sli 970 would be best as a single gtx 980 would work for current games but future games like witcher 3 might dip down to the 50fps or lower and will need sli. If you can wait for the 8gb version it might be worth it. So far a lot of games are reaching over 4 gb. 8gb would give a lot of headroom for games that utilize a lot of vram. Ideally sli 970 8gb but i think 4gb is fine.

I can probably wait, but I don't think I want to go over 700ish on cards... fiance would have a fit lol.

The single 970 might fit the bill for now, and maybe adding on a second later... depends on the price of 8gb.

Single 980 (OC'd to 1500 MHz) handles 3440x1440 very well. I had a second for a few weeks but sold it as it seemed like more than I needed honestly.

I'll probably upgrade to GM200 (the true 780 / 780Ti replacement) also... whenever that comes. If it's as big of a jump as the 780 Ti was to 680 we could be looking at 40-50% gains over a 980, which would probably put single card gaming still in reach on newer games. Right now I don't feel the need for SLI so might as well wait.

Last edited:
I have a LG 3440*1440 and a single 780TI with a good OC it's not enough to max everything at 60 fps.
I sometime need to lower a setting or 2 (or 3). It's still pretty good with most title though. Kinda depends a lot on your requirements/games you play.
So while you might/should be fine with a 980, I doubt you'd be happy with a single 970.

Last edited:
blower coolers w/vapor chambers work best in that case.

This, that case has no side fans to force air inbetween the cards. The hdd cage is also pretty close to the bottom card. I had much better luck with blower coolers in that case than with those dual fan coolers.

Back