Which cable is better to run? Coax or Ethernet, moving computer to other room

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
Like the title, I've got a baby on the way so I am giving up the command center, (Alas, Fatherhood) and it will now be Baby Command. My "mobile setup" shall moved to the living room, (Sadly, my dual-recliners of bachlorness must go). In addition to any great desk setups (A galant is probably in the works, along with some serious wire management because I want it super clean), I will be needing to move either the router (which means running coaxial cable) or leave the router in the 'office' and run an ethernet cable the distance. It would probably be easier just to leave the router in the office because I have an ethernet cable running from there, through a wall, to a PS3 and 360. But, bandwidth-wise, nothing would change from using a 100 ft ethernet cable or a 10 ft one, (or any latency would be negligable...)

Ethernet is definitely easier to run. Of course, eventually you are probably going to want to get the modem out of the nursery (around the time the little bugger starts walking I would guess), so you may just want to go through the extra work and relocated it now. That's what I'd do personally. But yeah, latency/bandwidth wise, it's not going to make any perceptible difference.

ethernet is your best bet unless you go wireless-N bridges but that would cost quite a bit more

I would say Ethernet.

Ethernet is a bit cheaper then Coax cable. If you do go Ethernet make sure it's CAT5E Cable

I would say the cost of each is not that much. I mean less than 20 cents a foot. Although if you pay some one to install the install charge will be way more than the cost of the cable.

A friend of mind ended up putting some CAT6 & coax, and he hasn't regretted the extra cost.

You said it yourself, it's the nursery. Young children are very inquisitive once they start moving about, save yourself the trouble of moving it later and run the coax now. If you can get into the attic, that would offer the neatest way of running either cable anyways.

Back