Which brand Router support x64 Windows XP?

rybeck

Limp Gawd
Hello, Folks..

I was planning to upgrade my OS (Windows XP pro) from 32-bit to 64-bit, and found out my current router won't be supported for the OS, according to their web site.

If it is true, what brand support 64-bit OS currently?
My knowledge over wireless tech is between noobie to intermediate, so please easy on me~

Thank you...

Routers/Gateways/Firewalls

Routers are device independent. As long as TCP/IP is installed, NETGEAR routers work with all operating systems. However most of the information in manuals assumes installation and maintenance is done in a Windows operating system. For information on Windows TCP/IP contact Microsoft or the network interface card vendor.

Reread the underlined part, as you seem to've misread it the first (or second...) time around. Your router will work with any operating system that supports the TCP/IP protocol, even XP64. Routers just need a network connection, they don't need drivers installed on the computer. The only problems you might have running XP64 are drivers for the devices in your computer, such as LAN adapter, modem, wireless network card, etc.

It's good that you are doing your research before you upgrade, but Gambit is right. The only problem you may have is if you were actually using the software that comes on the CD when you buy a router. 99% of home routers are configurable by logging into them via a web browser.

To put it simply, this isn't an issue to worry about when upgrading to x64.

some routers might have issues displaying thier config in IE7 or some may not work with the autoconfiguration of SSDP or UPnP, but as they said if you can plug it into the network, it'll work just fine.

I am using a WRT54G

Just set it all up using XP and have a full network, including a Vista Ultimate HTPC running through it. Its TCP/IP so it will run with your setup no problem

Reread the underlined part, as you seem to've misread it the first (or second...) time around. Your router will work with any operating system that supports the TCP/IP protocol, even XP64. Routers just need a network connection, they don't need drivers installed on the computer. The only problems you might have running XP64 are drivers for the devices in your computer, such as LAN adapter, modem, wireless network card, etc.

It's good that you are doing your research before you upgrade, but Gambit is right. The only problem you may have is if you were actually using the software that comes on the CD when you buy a router. 99% of home routers are configurable by logging into them via a web browser.

To put it simply, this isn't an issue to worry about when upgrading to x64.

Thanks for reply...
One thing I am still wondering is... my router (netgear wpn824) came with a CD that contains installation autorun application, which I need to use to install @ first time.
As Aslander comments, it may be bump I am afraid of..

Back