Which brand 48701gb

Converge

[H]ard|Gawd
Sapphire? HIS? MSI? powercooler etc etc.

I know theyre all the same but which would you say has the best cooling? They all look different. Im thinking the MSI heatsink/fan looks good IDK tho

XFX. There's no reason to get anything else anymore.

Visiontek was nice cause they offered a lifetime warranty but I've heard of them being flaky with that.

I had two Visiontek 4850's and a Diamond 4870.

They're both good cards, I bought the Visiontek's because of the lifetime warranty. I bought the diamond because I read that they had the lowest RMA rate of any ATi GPU manufacturer.

I sold the 4870 to a buddy of mine locally and he accidentally fried the fan and he's had a hell of a time getting into contact with Diamond via phone/email.

XFX is tried and true, they have the warranty and service that people trust. They cover the use of 3rd party coolers and from what I remember they even cover overclocking damage (but don't quote me on that 2nd one, I'd look it up) They're a big respected brand.

You might pay a small premium for their cards but I feel it's worth it and they come with nice black PCB's :D.

those should cool the card pretty well, however, i prefer coolers that allow hot air to exhaust from the back of the case (yes, just like the reference cooler).

i have the Sapphire 4870, 1gb version. Newegg Link. the fan at 50% is very quite and keep the card cool around 42c idle and around 60c during heavy gaming. it also exhaust some of the hot air from back of the case. can OC mine to 800mhz core and 1000mhz RAM with out any problem.

I'm looking at the MSI card that you have, how do you rate it in terms of temps and noise?

I like it well enough. GPU temps peak at about 75-76C. Memory is a few C higher than that @ full load (read: gaming, not folding). Performance is as expected, which is to say, pretty damn nice.

I just use the auto fan profile, and it works well enough. I can't really hear it over this loud-ass Silverstone Zeus from 3 years ago. Still a best of a PSU, but goddamn the noise.

asus dark knight works well with a good case like antec 900. All is cool in my case.

I ordered the HIS 1g 4870 on Sunday; got it yesterday, and I love it. I got the blue pcb version (similar to the ICE Q in coloration).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161247

$185.00 after rebate and coupon code (not sure if the code is still valid); and I did Live Cashback for another $6.00 or so (already got my confirmation letter from MS).

Without taking it apart I believe it is a reference 1 board design (there are 4 or so found so far). PCB is blue- which is what I wanted (tired of those red ones), and the cover and label are of a blue scheme as well. Will look good when it comes out of the 900 and into the Skeleton.

Temps have dropped from about 64 degrees on a Visiontek 3870 XF while folding, to about 50 degrees; and my daily folding production has about quadrupled. That works for me. Even did some Fallout 3 while folding without a hitch.

The handy dandy included screwdriver even has a led flashlight, which eased installation.

Would have gotten the XFX 1gig but the price difference was now about $100.00... that's some coin that can be applied somewhere else.

Thumbs up for the HIS ;)

I bought the diamond because I read that they had the lowest RMA rate of any ATi GPU manufacturer.

I sold the 4870 to a buddy of mine locally and he accidentally fried the fan and he's had a hell of a time getting into contact with Diamond via phone/email.
Not answering the phones is a pretty clever way to keep your RMA rate down. :p

The DK doesn't have any ramsinks and no cover, all of the heat will be dumped into your case.

Yeah true, I would have120mm fans 1 back 1 top 1 side and 1-2 front so id have good airflow. But then again I still dont want too much heat coming off the card in the case when it could be coming out the back. I still got a little bit till i build this PC couple weeks so i got time to decide.

Probably gonna be this one though - Sapphire GTXSR TOXIC 48701gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102815

Yeah true, I would have120mm fans 1 back 1 top 1 side and 1-2 front so id have good airflow. But then again I still dont want too much heat coming off the card in the case when it could be coming out the back. I still got a little bit till i build this PC couple weeks so i got time to decide.

Probably gonna be this one though - Sapphire GTXSR TOXIC 48701gb.

Just ordered that from ewiz for $225 shipped. Appears to have the best software package and cooler available. I was a bit dissapointed in the XFX card using a reference cooler at the price they're asking.

I got my Toxic over the weekend. Temps with the stock fan setting were a bit high and expected...well over 60c idle. This card gets very hot, quickly! I kicked it up manually to what I thought was reasonable sound level (30%) and now idle at 44C. Load temps never break 55C. It is cold here in Chicago though and the house is chilly. I'd imagine summer time temps will get crazy. But there is plenty of room to crank that fan up a bit more to keep the temps in check. Unfortunately, this card screams past 50%.

I was worried about the purchase after having switched over to ATI but so far so good. No problems playing Lotro, Mirror's Edge, Grid and a few other titles.

I am trying to get the quietest 4870 1Gb card out there. I have landed on the Asus Dark Knight, or the saphire Toxic. But I dont know for sure. Anyone have any suggestions? My other option is to get the Gigabyte and purchase the Thermalright HR-03. Any thoughts?

I am trying to get the quietest 4870 1Gb card out there. I have landed on the Asus Dark Knight, or the saphire Toxic. But I dont know for sure. Anyone have any suggestions? My other option is to get the Gigabyte and purchase the Thermalright HR-03. Any thoughts?

Does anyone have any experienc ewith both the Saphire and the Asus?

The cheapest one.

The reference coolers are pretty decent. On 40% fan my 4870 never budged past 60c oc'ed max on CCC.

The cheapest one.

The reference coolers are pretty decent. On 40% fan my 4870 never budged past 60c oc'ed max on CCC.
That's only true when discussing the reference designs.
Unfortunately all of the cards being mentioned here are not reference.

The two cards are...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121291
vs

If you haven't used both then you can't really answer his question, since he's asking about heat and noise for both cards compared.

That's only true when discussing the reference designs.
Unfortunately all of the cards being mentioned here are not reference.

The two cards are...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121291
vs

If you haven't used both then you can't really answer his question, since he's asking about heat and noise for both cards compared.

Thats what is so frustrating. It would be nice if there was a review of all the same card from different makers so as a consumer I would be able to tell which one I want. Apples to apples to apples

XFX needs to start shooting out some rebates to get pricing in line with the other resellers... As nice as the warranty may be, it's not worth an extra $30-40, it's not even worth an extra $25 imo. There's some stock 4870's down to $175-185 at the 'Egg right now.

Sapphire? HIS? MSI? powercooler etc etc.

I know theyre all the same but which would you say has the best cooling? They all look different. Im thinking the MSI heatsink/fan looks good IDK tho

My Asus dark night idles in the low 40's and gets up in the mid 50's under load. The coolest running 48xx card I have had. (It's FS BTW)

is it quiet?

That's subjective.

I have had a butt load of performance video cards over the past two years, none of them have been quiet, many of them have been very loud. The DK is reasonably quiet compared to many of them.

For my money it's reasonable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150339

Weekend special, XFX 1gb 4870, 239.99 w/ free shipping.

Ask and you shall recieve

I don't see a rebate listed for that card, am I missing something? $240 is much too high. Like I said, the XFX cards are going for $30-40 more than the other brands after their MIRs... There's at 'least four 4870s w/1GB on Newegg right now in the $200-215 range after MIR; and I'm certain that at 'least one or two of those has a 2-3 year warranty which is plenty for most enthusiasts.

Maybe I'm just cheap, but XFX's warranty (regardless how good they are about RMAs, etc.) isn't worth $30-40 more to me... $15-20 maybe, tops.

Maybe I'm just cheap, but XFX's warranty (regardless how good they are about RMAs, etc.) isn't worth $30-40 more to me... $15-20 maybe, tops.
Also the cooler on the 4870 is reference.
Lots of better options out there.

Well, I ordered the Asus Dark Knight 1gb 4870. Should be here in a few days and I will Update on how it works

Back