Which board for overclocking?

Jeff G

Limp Gawd
Looking between the x370 Taichi and the x370 C6H. Currently running a 1700, looking to upgrade to a 3600 when they launch. Which of those 2 boards will do better for both cpu and memory overclocking (or are they pretty much even)?

There is a change you will get some issues with the C6H but I can't say that the Taichi is great either between them I would certainly not invest in a X370 board at that point but look to budget X570 or price drop on those X470 boards.

I would definitely look at X470 at a minimum. Even a good B450 motherboard could be an option. X370 is far more temperamental than X470 when it comes to memory clocking and compatibility. The Crosshair VI is also bordering on a bad design. I can't remember if it was the Hero or the Formula, but we killed three of them during the review process. It was also among the most difficult regarding memory compatibility. I called it the worst board ASUS put out in ten years or something to that effect.

The CH7 on the other hand was a great board to work with relatively speaking.

I certainly will not be going with a x570 board if the cheap ones are going to cost as much as the high end x470 ones.
I was staying away from the b450 boards mostly because I wanted the option of sli if I find a cheap second gpu, but realistically I probably wont go that route.
Are there any specific b450 or x470 boards in the price range of the Taichi or C6H that you would recommend? I thought those 2 were rated highly, but it appears actual usage might not be great?
Also, should state I need atx form factor (custom case I built and only put standoffs for atx)

Thoughts on these? They're all in the same ballpark price range.
X470-F Strix
X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
B450 Aorus Pro
B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
B450 Tomahawk

The X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming is the only one I tested out of that list. It was good as I recall. I never tried the Taichi X370 board either. I only worked with the Crosshair VI and VII. The VII's were good.

The X470-F strix board was a good board also. It's basically the poor man's CH7. I've used both.

Back