Which are better all around good headphones? DT880 or HD598?

tehgray

n00b
To be used for pretty much everything, and they are pretty much the same price for me. Which is the better of the two?

Listen to Imagine Dragons, One Republic, John Legend, Lindsay Sterling, etc. Not really into electronic or heavy rap, but I'm pretty tired of hearing what sounds like a pillow being punched rather than bass in my Sennheiser HD 202's.

AKG K545s and ATH M50x might be well worth checking into. Both are closed, of course. Open? Possibly the Fidelio X1.

If you happen to be looking for a true basshead can, consider th V-Moda M-100.

Don't use onboard to power them. At least get a soundblaster z series oem. Any of the listed headphones are good. However, according to a general consensus, the best all around headphones atm are the sennheisers and the Fidelio X1. The beyers might well sound better for some music but not as good for games.

my advice is to try to listen to them both

If you live near a guitar center they have the beyerdynamic's (at least the one by me) and the Bestby (with Magnolia HiFi store in store) has the Senn's

If you are going to be using them for "everything" will open headphones work for you.. they will leak significant sound out and in by the nature of open designs. Due to a need for isolation I generally use my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s at home and my AudioTechnia ATH-M50s while out and about.

The DT770s are about the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned and for a closed design the soundstage is pretty good.. I love the sound quality from them as well.
But headphones are very subjective so trying them for yourself is a very good idea if at all possible.

The DT880's and 990s have a reputation for being rather bright .... probably personally of the two to answer your orig question my choice would be the HD598's

IF you have a bigger head one other idea worth a look is the rather bargin Priced Pioneer SE-A1000 (I got mine on clearance at BB for $35) they have quite good sound and are great for gaming (imho) and music currently selling for about $60~ on Amazon... but the design doesn't seem to work for those with smaller heads, I'm a big guy 6'2" and so they work for me.

A buddy of mine has the ATH-M40s, certainly not the nicest headphones, but running directly from his computer as source with no external amplification, it's very apparent the sound could be greatly improved.

Summary: Get a DAC/AMP combo at a minimum if you're going to get headphones of that quality. If you can't afford all at once, that's part of the joy of upgrading in phases; headphones first, then DAC, then Amp....and each time you upgrade you will be smiling from ear to ear each time!

I had both
DT880 sounded a bit better and doesn't really need equalizing as badly as the HD598
I sold the DT880 though because the Sennheiser is much more comfortable to wear

You might be able to get away with just using motherboard with the 598s; I don't think so with the beyers.

Based on my personal experience owning 770s and 595s.

I've tried both but, been using the DT880's for...6/7 years now? They sound amazing for music and great for games but, don't sound the best until they have been broken in. They have very nice bass as they are not a truly open design, semi-open is what beyer calls them. What makes them shine is when they have a dedicated amplifier, mine is a PPAv2 MisterX built specifically for these cans.

I've tried both but, been using the DT880's for...6/7 years now? They sound amazing for music and great for games but, don't sound the best until they have been broken in. They have very nice bass as they are not a truly open design, semi-open is what beyer calls them. What makes them shine is when they have a dedicated amplifier, mine is a PPAv2 MisterX built specifically for these cans.

Spot on... And probably one of the most comfortable cans during long listening. I recommend people that do push through amps purchase the 600ohm variety.

Back