Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Avira

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
I know there's been a bunch of anti-virus threads. But I didn't see any that were a poll. So here we are.

I think this was discussed few times but anyway NOD32 FTW!

NOD32 or Kaspersky. Both do a good job. Kaspersky's console is better then NOD's but both avs are about the same.

We use AVG Email Server edition on our Windows machines, and simple ClamAV on Linux ones. Works great.

hate to jump on the bandwagon but... NOD32 FTMFW...

But in seriousness I use NOD32 in the office and Kaspersky on my home network. They're both excellent pieces of software.

symantec corporate because you can set up a server to manage the clients, idk if nod32 does this or not

symantec corporate because you can set up a server to manage the clients, idk if nod32 does this or not

I think everyone of the choices has a managed network version.

Symantec 10.2 had major issues with vista and endpoint protection 11 seems to really be a memory hog. Getting ready to switch 4 more clients off it next week when their symantec licenses end. 2 have already ok'd kaspersky. One of the two getting the 3 yr license to save some cash. The other 2 we are just waiting to hear back to see what they want to go too. Just switched over a client last week as well.

For business use Norton Coporate edition is great. It's not bloated (like the consumer edition) and is very good keeping up with new threats.

NOD32.

Just make sure you get support with it... Can't remember if it has it or not.

A bad configuration can bring your network to its knees when NOD32 is scanning everything at once...

And be VERY wary with putting it on the server. I've had it lock up so tight (scanning or something- who knows... it was so locked up I couldn't do ANYTHING to find out what was going on) I had to hard reset the server.

Most every brand of antivirus out there has a "business edition" that does managements of clients, push installs, updates to clients across the LAN, yada yada yada. Except many of the better ones don't bog down workstations or miss as much as Symantbloat.

NOD32.

Just make sure you get support with it... Can't remember if it has it or not.

A bad configuration can bring your network to its knees when NOD32 is scanning everything at once...

And be VERY wary with putting it on the server. I've had it lock up so tight (scanning or something- who knows... it was so locked up I couldn't do ANYTHING to find out what was going on) I had to hard reset the server.

Yes they have support.....and official support forums over at Wilders Security.

Never had it lock up a server (and that's a LOT of servers). But hopefully you follow standard exclusions when you're configuring any antivirus product on a server as soon as you install it.

I use this for a baseline...it's for SBS..but you can easily figure out which ones are vanilla server related, exchange, etc...and use it for other servers.
http://www.sbsfaq.com/Lists/FAQs/DispForm.aspx?ID=137

Never had it lock up a server (and that's a LOT of servers). But hopefully you follow standard exclusions when you're configuring any antivirus product on a server as soon as you install it.

I use this for a baseline...it's for SBS..but you can easily figure out which ones are vanilla server related, exchange, etc...and use it for other servers.

The only big issue I remember having with Eset was like 2 years ago where an update would cause exchange to crash. The quick fix was to turn of the exchange antivirus. Either way eset had the update fixed in less then a day.

Other then that the only issue I remember having was that I needed to reinstall the exchange module on are first 08 server we deployed because we had throw the trial on it(were going to go with kaspersky and its av for exchange 07 wouldn't run on 08 yet). It wouldn't let me upgrade the license for the exchange part. Considering the crap I've seen with symantec I don't consider this one an issue.

I did that.

This was with Version 3.0...... it was an SBS 2003.

Eset couldn't give me an answer, either... All their answers involved "run this when it happens" or "check task manager", which when it is locked up like that- I can't do squat.

Odd thing is even my REMOTE stations started locking up (The server locked up all clients too... as soon as I unplugged network cable, freed them up), that aren't even joined to the domain.

At this point, almost too scared to give it another shot.

I did that.

Version 3 isn't compatible with Exchange. I made the same mistake with an SBS server as well, once. Even if you do set the exclusions it still screws things up for some reason. Uninstalled, rebooted, ccleaned it, installed 2.7 and all has been fine since. :D

Version 3 isn't compatible with Exchange. I made the same mistake with an SBS server as well, once. Even if you do set the exclusions it still screws things up for some reason. Uninstalled, rebooted, ccleaned it, installed 2.7 and all has been fine since. :D

I see. I guess I need to do that then...

Exchange 2003 or 2007 or both?

yes you need to use nod32 v2.7 for any exchange server, I was talking to their rep a while ago and they are working on v3 for exchange but he said it might be a while.

I did that.

Eset couldn't give me an answer, either... All their answers involved "run this when it happens" or "check task manager", which when it is locked up like that- I can't do squat.

Odd thing is even my REMOTE stations started locking up (The server locked up all clients too... as soon as I unplugged network cable, freed them up), that aren't even joined to the domain.

At this point, almost too scared to give it another shot.

Ahh...no wonder it locked up....t'ain't compatible. Wrong product to install.

Need 2.7 for a box running Exchange. So that would include SBS.
I don't even put 3.0 on any servers....vanilla or not.....actually I'm still using trusty 2.7 for ALL clients..workstations...etc. 3.0 is fiiiiinally getting a bit better..but I still don't run it on my own rigs. I think it needs still a little more time to cook more in the oven.

We "might" see XMON 3.0 by the end of this year...but I'm certainly not rolling it out on clients right away....I'll wait at least...3 months after it's released..probably more like 6 months.

Ahh...no wonder it locked up....t'ain't compatible. Wrong product to install.

Need 2.7 for a box running Exchange. So that would include SBS.
I don't even put 3.0 on any servers....vanilla or not.....actually I'm still using trusty 2.7 for ALL clients..workstations...etc. 3.0 is fiiiiinally getting a bit better..but I still don't run it on my own rigs. I think it needs still a little more time to cook more in the oven.

We "might" see XMON 3.0 by the end of this year...but I'm certainly not rolling it out on clients right away....I'll wait at least...3 months after it's released..probably more like 6 months.

Any reason why 3.0 doesn't work???

I've had no issues with 3.0 on my clients. I had those lockup issues (server-related), and other than that, at one point I had all of my clients instantly slow down to the speed of a snail all at once for some reason. Turns out- bad configuration (Was set to scan after every update. After the update rolled out that hour... BAM!).... That's why I say be careful with your configuration. My suggestion is leave it default for the most part.

Servers. My workstations are running fine ;)

I mostly focus on SBS.....thus Exchange. Cannot mix XMON 2.7 with NOD32 3.0.

I've had other colleagues in the field complain about issues with 3.0 on servers. Quite a few issues actually. So...I've not done it myself....as I was wary about 3.0 in the first place.

I love the product like crazy...I've been a Gold Partner reseller with them for years...just..IMO...3.0 still has a little maturing to do. I notice the performance difference between 3.0 and 2.7 on the same exact rigs.

I'm biased but....Cisco Security Agent + (insert fav AV software).

And I eat my own dog food. I've had CSA + AVG Free running for two years and not a single piece of malware...ever. (Knock on wood).

I've been using Trendmicro Officescan with most of my small businesses. Works pretty well. Not a huge fan how it doesn't handle remote users well (like employees who have laptops and travel off network).

To the guys who were having trouble with exchange, was this before they released the mail server component? The rep I talked to didn't seem to know of any issues with 3.0.

Nod 32 without a doubt. I use it at home on my servers and desktops (I have a business license).

I voted for Avira since it is free but if my work had the bucks I would definitely do a mass install of NOD32

Back