Which AMD board? Or go Intel?

topslop1

2[H]4U
I'm only getting 2933mhz out of my DDR 3200 ram and after doing some research I'm told that the motherboard I have is just not very good with getting correct ram speeds/timings.

I'm also experiencing 'hitching' or 'jolting' while playing Black Ops 4. I'm taking a small guess that this could be memory/board related in some fashion.

What's a good replacement board that will work with my current processor - and a future processor should I want to pick up a Ryzen 3000 chip this summer?

I'm mainly a gamer, so I could benefit from Intel's side of things, but I'd be out the money for a board and a processor immediately as opposed to a board to correct my issue, and then a faster chip this summer.

Let me know what board(s) look good for me, and or if I should wait, suck it up, and just go full Intel this summer.

Gen1 boards and processors did not have the best memory overclocking capabilities. UEFI updates helped a bit.

look up Black Ops 4 stuttering - it was (maybe still is?) a pretty common issue. I wouldn't point at the RAM speed as the cause for that.

With that in mind, if the stuttering is not your primary concern and you really want to get the RAM running at 3200, and you're thinking to upgrade to Ryzen 3000 series when they release, I don't see that switching to Intel makes much sense. Unless you really want to spend all the money now (and possibly still want a new processor when they launch anyways).

If you've got up to date firmware on your board and it still isn't hitting 3200, and that's bothering you enough to want to upgrade... ASRock's X470 Master SLI/AC (newer version of the board you have) and the X470 Taichi might be good options. There's also Gigabyte's Aorus boards, but opinions seem split on those. Might want to check newegg /amazon reviews and see if anyone has used the same memory kit you have with them.

(Personally I'd stick it out until the new CPUs and X570 chipset launches, instead of doing a half-step, but I can't deny the allure of getting something now and just having to upgrade the processor later on).

I've had 5 or 6 different B350/X370/X470 boards. The best, hands down, is the Asus Crosshair Hero VII. I just didn't have much luck with ASRock boards with Ryzen (granted I haven't heard too many bad things about the Taichi series, but I only tried the Intel version of it). Memory that was compatible with the CH7 didn't run right on ASRock boards. I even ran 4 sticks at DDR4 3200 Cas 14 speeds with a 2700X. I had much less luck with the X470 Fatal1ty K4 board I had.

look up Black Ops 4 stuttering - it was (maybe still is?) a pretty common issue. I wouldn't point at the RAM speed as the cause for that.

With that in mind, if the stuttering is not your primary concern and you really want to get the RAM running at 3200, and you're thinking to upgrade to Ryzen 3000 series when they release, I don't see that switching to Intel makes much sense. Unless you really want to spend all the money now (and possibly still want a new processor when they launch anyways).

If you've got up to date firmware on your board and it still isn't hitting 3200, and that's bothering you enough to want to upgrade... ASRock's X470 Master SLI/AC (newer version of the board you have) and the X470 Taichi might be good options. There's also Gigabyte's Aorus boards, but opinions seem split on those. Might want to check newegg /amazon reviews and see if anyone has used the same memory kit you have with them.

(Personally I'd stick it out until the new CPUs and X570 chipset launches, instead of doing a half-step, but I can't deny the allure of getting something now and just having to upgrade the processor later on).

When do the X570's hit, and I'll do some reserach on the studdering.

If you really feel you need to dump that AMD kit & retool with Intel, you can just send those fail AMD parts my way... ;^p

I'm also experiencing 'hitching' or 'jolting' while playing Black Ops 4. I'm taking a small guess that this could be memory/board related in some fashion.
Do you get hitching/jolting if you play with lower graphics quality settings?

OP is trying to get specified memory speeds with an X370 mobo? AMD is not even supporting these boards any more? The OP should buy a decent X470 or even B450 mobo and should be able to get 3200 mhz without too much trouble.

OP is trying to get specified memory speeds with an X370 mobo? AMD is not even supporting these boards any more? The OP should buy a decent X470 or even B450 mobo and should be able to get 3200 mhz without too much trouble.

Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner!

Given the abysmally slow support and the massive number of critical issues with the Crosshair Hero VI, I doubt very much that the VII is the best board "period." The horrendously slow support and bios corrections alone should warn you otherwise. MSI's support is the fastest and Gigabytes the second fastest. I used to swear by Asus. I have now learned otherwise.

I like Asus boards for their design and looks and Aura Sync isn't half bad but their support is soooooo slow, and bios updates seem to come about the time the damn thing is obsolete.

I prefer Gigabyte above all else becuase their support is quick with rather rapid development and release of bios updates. They actually include the later and latest AGESA microcodes in their releases as well and not just stupid stuff like .... better keyboard compatibility or enhanced RGB brightness lmao which asus seems to always do. They always focus on non-issues rather than milking stability and performance improvements as much as possible.

In as much as Asus claims to be the Republic of Gamers, I would rather say Gigabyte is the true gamers republic in as far as hardware support goes.

Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner!

Agree absoolutely! Plus it future proofs the OP and he can sell his 1700x to a less performance concerned buyer and get a 3700x or whatever the heck they will be called.

I like my Taichi X470so far. Getting stable OC on my 3K mhz RAM with a base clock increase.

I know it's only a B350 board but my MSi Gaming Pro Carbon has been solid since I did the first Bios update on it, with 3200 and that's the standard Corsair Vengeance LPX stuff.

Pretty sure the B450 is also really good but I'm only running a R1600 on it.

I'm only getting 2933mhz out of my DDR 3200 ram and after doing some research I'm told that the motherboard I have is just not very good with getting correct ram speeds/timings.

What's a good replacement board that will work with my current processor - and a future processor should I want to pick up a Ryzen 3000 chip this summer?

I'm mainly a gamer, so I could benefit from Intel's side of things, but I'd be out the money for a board and a processor immediately as opposed to a board to correct my issue, and then a faster chip this summer.

Let me know what board(s) look good for me, and or if I should wait, suck it up, and just go full Intel this summer.

i'm amazed after 3 months not a single person has asked you what gskill ram you're running and what CL rate they have.. based on everything you said i'm assuming it's gskill ripjaw V with CL 16 which would make it hynix memory.. x370 will not run those at 3200 and the hitching is caused by having to low of a voltage. those hynix chips although rated at 1.35v really need to be at 1.37-1.38v on x370 and/or if that doesn't solve it disable gear down mode(i believe that's what it's called in the bios if i remember correctly) which will put the memory at 1.5t instead of 1t even though the bios will say it's 2t.

What is the bigger issue for you? The RAM not hitting 3200 or the game stuttering? The stuttering isn't because your RAM isn't hitting 3200. If this issue was RAM related you would more than likely see this in another application/game. Are there any stability issues, random crashing of applications or the entire OS? RAM issues almost always manifest in stability problems. Crashing, rebooting, data corruption and that sort of thing.

Hitching is usually software, drivers or thermals. Running out of physical RAM and moving data out to a pagefile can cause it too. That is seriously unlikely since you are running one game and have 16GB of RAM. You are going to need to remove some variables to get to the source of this stuttering. If you seriously believe this to be RAM related, grab memtest86+ or memtest86 and run it several times or even while you sleep to really stress it.

Switching to Intel, personally I'm waiting for AMD to launch the 3000 series before I make any decisions.

It's actually one of the best AM4 motherboards out there. Also got one after some trials with asus and It has been amazing motherboard. Rock solid and overclocked more than the asus.

I bought mine used from a guy who built a sick threadripper system. I love it so far.

Answer to the post.
Since K6-2/3 there is no socket compatibility between Intel and AMD so Intel board means Intel features with Intel CPU. You will pay more for less, but it will be Intel and Intel is still considered as the x86 platform standard.

Back