Which AM2/AM3 Board is Better

JeffC

Weaksauce
I am upgrading my kids computer and was wondering which mobo is the best price to performance ratio. I will be putting an Athlon II X4 645 CPU in so need the AM3 socket. However, I want to use their current DDR2 800 memory hence the need for an AM2/AM2+/AM3 board. The system is used mainly for web based games (Friv, GameHouse), some kids games on Steam, Homework and such. so not needing anything to fancy just something stable and will last them the next 2 or 3 years.

$51.98 - ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS
$64.99 - ASUS M4A785-M
$69.99 - BIOSTAR TA790XE

Thanks,
Jeff

Not the Biostar....

I was shopping for the same setup (AM3 chip upgrade but keep my now expensive DDR2)

Check out the Asus "EVO" AM3 board... very popular, under $100. Great unlock/OC capabilities.... I forget at the moment if it uses DDR2 though, but DDR3 is INSANELY cheap now so who cares?

The M4A is what I would choose though out of those 3.

For your purposes, I would go with the Asus M4A785-M. Integrated graphics, and a decent one at that for light gaming. Asus, so superior quality to Biostar. AMD chipset, which is better than that nVidia chipset.

For your purposes, I would go with the Asus M4A785-M. Integrated graphics, and a decent one at that for light gaming. Asus, so superior quality to Biostar. AMD chipset, which is better than that nVidia chipset.

Actually that BioStar uses the AMD 790X/SB750 chipset. Though I do agree that ASUS is most likely a better built board. Plus I save $5 :cool:

Jeff

When I said better than the nVidia chipset, I was referring to the M2N68

My bad sorry about that, just used to seeing folks dissing BioStar and made the wrong assumption. Thanks for the recommendation. I have decided to go with the M4A785-M, as recommended.

Jeff

Back