Which Air Cooler would you pick for the price Ryzen 5 5600X?

Retsam

2[H]4U
Just looking for feedback on air cooling a Ryzen 5 5600X. Which air cooler for best bang 4 buck would you pick out of these?:

Scythe Mugen 5 ($49.99)
Scythe Fuma 2 ($59.99)
Noctua NH-U12S ($59.99)
Noctua NH-U14S ($64)
ID Cooling SE-224-XT($OOS most places? but normally $30).

Very intrigued on the ID Cooling SE-224-XT as it seems to be like $30 normally but OOS everywhere? I also see black friday it was $6 on sale @ newegg(wtf!?).

I am just curious what others would pick.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you have a reason for not having the Noctua NH-D15s? If you're including the U12A.

I'm assuming you have a reason for not having the Noctua NH-D15s? If you're including the U12A.

Yes. Only because its expensive, has clearance issues and offers little improvement over the others for the price point. I dont want to deal with having to worry about which case I get for the cooler. I still have to buy a case.

I took out the U12A and replaced with U14S. I dont think the U12A is worth the cost. U14S is like almost identical temps it seems like.

I'm kind of a fan of the Fuma series. I had good luck with my OG Fuma. For a dual tower, it fits in a lot of cases.

I bought one of these Aresgame River 5 coolers for $26 and it works pretty well. Probably similar to the ID Cooling one. Used it with a Ryzen 5 5600x and it worked well.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm kind of a fan of the Fuma series. I had good luck with my OG Fuma. For a dual tower, it fits in a lot of cases.

I bought one of these Aresgame River 5 coolers for $26 and it works pretty well. Probably similar to the ID Cooling one. Used it with a Ryzen 5 5600x and it worked well.

Thanks for the input. I really want to buy the ID Cooling SE-224-XT just to at least benchmark it myself to my current cooler(Scythe mugen 5).

The reviews ive seen on it like highly praise it and seems to be almost identical performance to like Noctuas and scythes etc, pretty crazy for a small $30 cooler. But it seems to be OOS everywhere so...cant really do that as of now.

Ive been a big fan of scythe products. I didnt disclose it in the OP because I didnt want to skew any answers, but I have owned and loved my Scythe Mugen 5 for a few years now. The Fuma 2 is at the top of my list for a new cooler. Also the Noctua U14S/U12S. I kind of liked the Thermaltake Le Macho RT, but its like $80 and I am not sure its worth it.

I think its going to be one of either:
Scythe Fuma 2
Noctua U14S/U12S
Id-cooling SE-224-XT (if it ever comes in stock)

Thanks for the input. I really want to buy the ID Cooling SE-224-XT just to at least benchmark it myself to my current cooler(Scythe mugen 5).

The reviews ive seen on it like highly praise it and seems to be almost identical performance to like Noctuas and scythes etc, pretty crazy for a small $30 cooler. But it seems to be OOS everywhere so...cant really do that as of now.

Ive been a big fan of scythe products. I didnt disclose it in the OP because I didnt want to skew any answers, but I have owned and loved my Scythe Mugen 5 for a few years now. The Fuma 2 is at the top of my list for a new cooler. Also the Noctua U14S/U12S. I kind of liked the Thermaltake Le Macho RT, but its like $80 and I am not sure its worth it.

Scythe Fuma 2
Noctua U14S/U12S

If you look at the Aresgame and the ID cooling, they both have 5 heatpipes vs. 4 on the "cheaper" 120mm coolers (CM 212 iterations, Deepcool Gammaxx 400, etc.). For a 65W CPU, it it pretty solid.

The Noctuas are nice, but they are twice the price (albeit in stock).

The largest one that will fit in the case you are using regardless of what processor you are using.

The largest one that will fit in the case you are using regardless of what processor you are using.

Yeah, that is the other side of the problem because I dont have a case yet.

Mugen 5 or Fuma 2.

Kind of what I was thinking. I think I am going to go for the ID Cooling SE-224-XT because it seems to get some pretty comparative results to much more expensive coolers. At the very least just to test it and benchmark for curiosity. The problem with it is its like OOS everywhere. Past that though, I am thinking the Fuma 2 right now.

Yeah, that is the other side of the problem because I dont have a case yet.

Kind of what I was thinking. I think I am going to go for the ID Cooling SE-224-XT because it seems to get some pretty comparative results to much more expensive coolers. At the very least just to test it and benchmark for curiosity. The problem with it is its like OOS everywhere. Past that though, I am thinking the Fuma 2 right now.
I've used the Mugen and Fuma on 20 or so builds. Great cooling for the $. I don't know anything about the SE-224-XT, but it looks nice.

I've used the Mugen and Fuma on 20 or so builds. Great cooling for the $. I don't know anything about the SE-224-XT, but it looks nice.

If you check out some benchmarks it seems to perform almost the same as high end coolers and is quiet as well. I am just curious if it lives up to the benchmarks and want to give it a try. And it normally is only $30 if it were actually in stock anywhere.

Scythe Fuma 2
Noctua U14S/U12S
If you already have a Mugen 5, I would try that first. Sure, the Fuma beats it a little bit. But not enough to warrant a whole new purchase.

If you don't have the AM4 mounting hardware, you should be able to get it from Scythe.

If you already have a Mugen 5, I would try that first. Sure, the Fuma beats it a little bit. But not enough to warrant a whole new purchase.

If you don't have the AM4 mounting hardware, you should be able to get it from Scythe.

I am buying it for a second system im building. Yes the Mugen 5 is great and the best heatsink for the money ive ever owned. But I just wanted to try something different. See if I could improve on any noise or temps. The Fuma may not be worth the extra $10, I dont know yet. It might be worth trying still. Im gonna go with the ID-Cooling SE-224-XT whenever its back in stock. Maybe buy Fuma at the same time and compare them all.

I picked up this thing to try out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F2FS7SR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5 heatpipe for 25$ and they have an all white option, I'm expecting it to perform at or better than a hyper212 more than enough for a 5600x at stock (im using a 3600 in the rig it's going in though).
(though the reviews say the fan quality leaves something to be desired, not gonna complain for the cost, I'll grab a nice noctua or scythe fan)

I picked up this thing to try out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F2FS7SR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5 heatpipe for 25$ and they have an all white option, I'm expecting it to perform at or better than a hyper212 more than enough for a 5600x at stock (im using a 3600 in the rig it's going in though).
(though the reviews say the fan quality leaves something to be desired, not gonna complain for the cost, I'll grab a nice noctua or scythe fan)

Never heard of them so I tend to stay away. Seems decent though for $25. Thats hard to beat. I am not sure I want to mess with it just to have to buy another fan for it. I got rid of my CM Hyper 212 because of how loud it was.

Never heard of them so I tend to stay away. Seems decent though for $25. Thats hard to beat. I am not sure I want to mess with it just to have to buy another fan for it. I got rid of my CM Hyper 212 because of how loud it was.
Really? What version was it?
The newer one with the silencio FP120 Fan I couldn't hear at all outside of the case (i think it was the black out non rgb version)

Really? What version was it?
The newer one with the silencio FP120 Fan I couldn't hear at all outside of the case (i think it was the black out non rgb version)

To be fair, it was one of the first iterations of the CM hyper 212. Like, the 212, not evo. The old one was pretty loud. That may be true with the newer fan, I havnt tried it in 5 years heh.

Back