Which 970 Are You Buying?

Are there any 970 using the the stock Titan cooler? All the vendors are pushing aftermarket coolers that are too big for my case (M1).

Nope.

All 970's bar the Asus and possibly MSI cards should fit in the M1. Even the MSI card might fit, but it might also contact the side panel.

AFAIK EVGA is the only one even offering blower style coolers on the 970. Maybe buy a reference 970, then source and retrofit a Titan blower?

Folks that got the Zotac, can you confirm that it doesn't have any 'warranty void' stickers on it's screws? Planning to get the stock Zotac (short PCB) and put it under water in my NCASE M1.

Are there any 970 using the the stock Titan cooler? All the vendors are pushing aftermarket coolers that are too big for my case (M1).
If you are referring to the cooler from the 980 then that is not a Titan cooler. It may look like it but it does not have the vapor chamber underneath. All 970 cards are customs but EVGA will probably offer the 980 cooler at some point like they offered the 780 cooler on the 770.

My 3 MSI Gaming 4G 970's have shipped from newegg. So excited!

Reviews for the card are pouring in on newegg. People getting 1500MHz core without additional voltage, with +87mv 1600MHz...

Fine, reference board. Otherwise what do you call this?

because it have a blower style cooler that does not mean its reference board... Nvidia will not provide any reference 970, that does not exist.. all are custom made so as misterbobby said AIB can do whatever they want to the gtx 970 boards..

Just received my MSI GTX 970 Gaming OC. I must say I am impressed with the packaging. I have never owned nothing but EVGA video cards since my GTX 295. MSI definitely put some attention to the packaging, the box feels premium, the inner box too and the overrall presentation is nice. They even threw in a mouse pad too! Granted, I won't use it, but still. Once you get through all the junk, the beautiful graphics card lie dead center ready to be put to the test. But first I gotta hit the gym.

because it have a blower style cooler that does not mean its reference board... Nvidia will not provide any reference 970, that does not exist.. all are custom made so as misterbobby said AIB can do whatever they want to the gtx 970 boards..

I called it "reference" because it's one of the very few 970s that actually sticks to nVidia's "reference" speeds for the 970.

Then what about the fact EVGA only uses 4+2 phases for power delivery and 2x6 pins, while both MSI and Gigabyte use 6+2 phases and 6+8 pins? Even Asus uses 6+1 phases so power delivery to the core will be superior. And so far I haven't seen complaints of coil whine on either the Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI cards either.

If you need better power delivery, you are overclocking and should get a Classified card, not overclock a card that isn't designed for overclocking. EVGA can not have design issues. It's impossible.

Except 970 Classified doesn't exist. And even that top of the line 970 FTW still only has 2x6 pin connectors, and costs the same or more as the MSI and Gigabyte offerings, both of which have beter hardware, and better overclocking headroom.

So once again, the only reason to buy EVGA at this point would be for the warranty, but if that's not of importance to you, I don't see why one should pay more for less.

I'd like to see a source for that.
Have you really not looked at any reviews? Why don't you point me to a card you think is reference? lol

Straight from the Bit Tech review.

If you've already worked your way though our GTX 980 review, then you'll know that unlike that card, Nvidia is not producing a reference model of the GTX 970, the second enthusiast-grade Maxwell part that replaces the GTX 770 in the product stack. The images on this page do not reflect a ready to buy product. Instead, Nvidia's AICs will be able to purchase the GPU and memory chips, but after that it's up to them, and this will undoubtedly lead to a high degree of variability when it comes to PCB and cooler design as well as factory overclocks."

THEY'RE HERE!! :D

2ynow0l.jpg

Just received my MSI GTX 970 Gaming OC. I must say I am impressed with the packaging. I have never owned nothing but EVGA video cards since my GTX 295. MSI definitely put some attention to the packaging, the box feels premium, the inner box too and the overrall presentation is nice. They even threw in a mouse pad too! Granted, I won't use it, but still. Once you get through all the junk, the beautiful graphics card lie dead center ready to be put to the test. But first I gotta hit the gym.

Just got my MSI 970 OC, also very impressed with the packaging! Cleaning up my PC after dinner and then installing the card.

Just got my MSI 970 OC, also very impressed with the packaging! Cleaning up my PC after dinner and then installing the card.
So you got the non Gaming version too? I can hit 1505 on stock voltage which I was not expecting from the 4GD5T version.

Whoops I got the Gaming 4G, likely won't even try OCing it
Well at least raise the power limit to max that way it will boost up a little more and always maintain that boost if it needs it.

LOL my 970 uses 100 watts less in Metro LL than my stock 780. :eek:

Have you really not looked at any reviews? Why don't you point me to a card you think is reference? lol

Straight from the Bit Tech review.

If you've already worked your way though our GTX 980 review, then you'll know that unlike that card, Nvidia is not producing a reference model of the GTX 970, the second enthusiast-grade Maxwell part that replaces the GTX 770 in the product stack. The images on this page do not reflect a ready to buy product. Instead, Nvidia's AICs will be able to purchase the GPU and memory chips, but after that it's up to them, and this will undoubtedly lead to a high degree of variability when it comes to PCB and cooler design as well as factory overclocks."

Yeah you're right. AnandTech also stated 970 was a virtual launch with no reference boards. My bad.

Ordered MSI 970 Gaming 4G today. So long, EVGA, we had some great times and you screwed me over on a step up even after the forced purchase of the "extended warranty" to be able to apply for it, but many good gaming times were had.

Look forward to seeing how far I can get with this MSI on both air and water before getting bored and moving on to a MSI or ASUS 980.

Last edited:
This is the better one of my two cards. My other card is only about 65% AISC.

This better one so far can do 1325/1925. Haven't tried to push it further yet. I'll be putting them in SLI so I think I'm limited by the weaker of the two anyway.

6r4nsk.png

65% ASIC? Man that sucks.

you have to see the General ASIC quality of AMD cards.. i've had tons of AMD cards.. my actual 280X i think its the better i had in ASIC quality for AMD and its 62.5%.. xD.. I have a 290 reference with 49%.. U_U..

Does anybody else have the same issue with their GTX 970 where one of the fans become really loud and won't stop until you shut down your PC? I made a thread on the MSI forums where users who have the MSI GTX 970 have the same issue:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.0

Seems to be a firmware issue with MSI's GTX 970, not sure about the GTX 980.

Does anybody else have the same issue with their GTX 970 where one of the fans become really loud and won't stop until you shut down your PC? I made a thread on the MSI forums where users who have the MSI GTX 970 have the same issue:

a temporal fix its to use a custom fan curve to avoid the zero RPM fan until 60C...

Try to deinstall that MSI Gaming App. According to some of the forums I read, when the app and afterburner are working together, they cause the conflict in fan controller.

I'm having a difficult time deciding. I've always loved EVGA but they, like practically everyone else, are for some reason only putting one DisplayPort on their 970s. PNY seems to be the only one who isn't, and I've heard awful things about their so-called "lifetime" warranty. I need those DisplayPorts for running three monitors.

I'm having a difficult time deciding. I've always loved EVGA but they, like practically everyone else, are for some reason only putting one DisplayPort on their 970s. PNY seems to be the only one who isn't, and I've heard awful things about their so-called "lifetime" warranty. I need those DisplayPorts for running three monitors.

This is the default Nvidia spec everyone is using, while putting outputs on the card.

This is the default Nvidia spec everyone is using, while putting outputs on the card.

Not sure what you mean. Reference spec for the 970 seems to be:

Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI 2.0, 3x DisplayPort 1.2

Most cards on market right now (all except PNY and Gigabyte?) only have one DisplayPort.

Not sure what you mean. Reference spec for the 970 seems to be:

Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI 2.0, 3x DisplayPort 1.2

Most cards on market right now (all except PNY and Gigabyte?) only have one DisplayPort.

and according to NVIDIA:
Note: The below specifications represent this GPU as incorporated into NVIDIA's reference graphics card design. Graphics card specifications may vary by Add-in-card manufacturer. Please refer to the Add-in-card manufacturers' website for actual shipping specifications.

as the launch of the 970 was just on paper and just virtually.. practically all AIB are just making their own port specs..

and according to NVIDIA:

as the launch of the 970 was just on paper and just virtually.. practically all AIB are just making their own port specs..

I get that. I was just responding to the bit about it being the Nvidia default. The Nvidia default (ie the reference design) has 3x DP.

I just want a reference 970 with 3x DP and blower cooler for SLI. I don't think that's asking too much. I might just roll the dice with PNY's shitty warranty since they seem to be the only ones that come close to fitting that particular bill.

I get that. I was just responding to the bit about it being the Nvidia default. The Nvidia default (ie the reference design) has 3x DP.

I just want a reference 970 with 3x DP and blower cooler for SLI. I don't think that's asking too much. I might just roll the dice with PNY's shitty warranty since they seem to be the only ones that come close to fitting that particular bill.

In the same boat as you with surround. I was looking on techpowerups gpu database and the only one that seems to fit the bill is the PNY and PALIT.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3090/palit-gtx-970.html

In the same boat as you with surround. I was looking on techpowerups gpu database and the only one that seems to fit the bill is the PNY and PALIT.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3090/palit-gtx-970.html

I've been out of the GPU game for ages now. I don't think I've ever even heard of Palit. How's their reputation around here? PNY has a pretty bad rep for their bogus warranty from what I can tell.

This is the better one of my two cards. My other card is only about 65% AISC.

This better one so far can do 1325/1925. Haven't tried to push it further yet. I'll be putting them in SLI so I think I'm limited by the weaker of the two anyway.

6r4nsk.png

Notice on the bottom it says New version available. Upgrde your version of GPU-Z and run asic again.

Can't decide between getting the Evga SuperClocked ACX right now or waiting 2 weeks for stock on the MSI or Gigabyte. What would you guys do?

Back