Which 670 to buy?

I can attest for the Galaxy rep on this board. He's always responded to PMs nearly immediately and I had a removable fan die on my GTX460. He replaced it for me through this forum and took care of the issue instantly. Fantastic customer service and fantastic to have a rep on this board.

I'm an idiot.. The on screen display for the EVGA tool displays power % first, not GPU usage..

My GPU usage was 98%..

I'm in shock that a single card solution runs BF3 maxed out at 1080P with no lag.. So much better than my 6870's in crossfire.. The microstutter was so annoying.

I don't play BF3 competitively, but it is clear that people running this type of card have an advantage as even aiming seems so much smoother.. I won't miss crossfire one bit.

Glad to know you enjoy the card, I can't wait for mine to get here on Wednesday to try it out. :)

I was waiting for the Asus but I'm starting to change my opinion and thinking about going for the Galaxy card now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162109

That card is ugly. Stick around for asus all black and pretty.

Edit and another thing ASUS is using solid state chokes which won't whine. Has a real voltage controller (however I have not seen anyone actually modulate it...but it's there for a reason), is near silent, has sweet backplate, etc. Basically any other card is worth $50 less IMO.

Last edited:
So after gaming with my EVGA 670 (non SC).. This thing is awesome. The noise level is incredible.. I cant hear it over the 140mm case fans in my Arc Midi even under load. My 6870 CF setup got loud enough I would put my headphones on before I started playing, this thing though after 2 hours of gaming is still quiet.. High temps have gotten into the 60's, but the fan has not gone about 45%.. My 6870's at similar gaming sessions would be in the 80's for both temp & fan speed.. Plus its just smooth & pretty @ 2560x1440

Sweet dude...from reference blower that's pretty impressive noise critique.

If I find that you can actually change voltage with controller they put on there I'm selling Gigabyte OC (the second best 670 currently)

I'm sure it will work. It would be a big failure if they put the voltage controlling hardware and didn't follow up with software.

my bad experiences with asus made me choose gigabyte. in fact, i've never personally used gigabyte (although i've bought them before for other rigs and have had no problems) but my new mobo and card are gigabyte.......crossing my fingers! i've had decent experiences with evga but would rather get a non-ref card

does the gigabyte windforce 3 card not have voltage control? I have one in my cart now, and i am wonder if i should wait for the Asus Direct CU to come into stock.

If I were to buy a 670 I would pay the extra $100 for a stock 680. Is that wrong? So let's say the 680 isn't available and I really need a video card, in that case I'd buy a stock 670 if it were available, then replace it in the fall with whatever is the fastest nVidia card.

Any Asus sightings yet?

Nothing yet - a post by them on their forums said they'll be coming out very soon so most people are assuming this week. TOP's are gonna be harder to find though since they are going to be binning chips for them.

Nothing yet - a post by them on their forums said they'll be coming out very soon so most people are assuming this week. TOP's are gonna be harder to find though since they are going to be binning chips for them.

Nice, don't need the TOP version necessarily.

My EVGA SC had artifacting, it's looking like EVGA is going to upgrade me to the FTW edition for free and offer 2 day cross shipping. It's reasons like that why I am glad I chose EVGA, I know the brand, I know the customer service, and I know they own up to mistakes.

So after gaming with my EVGA 670 (non SC).. This thing is awesome. The noise level is incredible.. I cant hear it over the 140mm case fans in my Arc Midi even under load. My 6870 CF setup got loud enough I would put my headphones on before I started playing, this thing though after 2 hours of gaming is still quiet.. High temps have gotten into the 60's, but the fan has not gone about 45%.. My 6870's at similar gaming sessions would be in the 80's for both temp & fan speed.. Plus its just smooth & pretty @ 2560x1440

Thats good to know! As of this morning I am number 84 in EVGA step-up queue for one of these. Sounds like I wont be dissappointed. How did gaming compare to your CF 6870s?

I bought the Gigabyte primarily because it has a VRM heat sink that's independent of the cooler. It makes it simple to WC with my old MCW60 gpu only blocks.

Can you confirm this? I am looking to do exactly this and since there are no fullcover blocks or even VRM blocks out yet, this would save me the effort of trying to attach my own VRM's.

Can you confirm this? I am looking to do exactly this and since there are no fullcover blocks or even VRM blocks out yet, this would save me the effort of trying to attach my own VRM's.

I can confirm this. My cards appear to be as he said. Also saw a review showing this.

The windforce gigabyte uses GTX 680 PCB so full cover GTX 680 ref blocks work.

Yes it has a vrm heatsink but I'm not sure that would be sufficient to cool vrms once you take off fans and try to put on gpu only block

The windforce gigabyte uses GTX 680 PCB so full cover GTX 680 ref blocks work.

Yes it has a vrm heatsink but I'm not sure that would be sufficient to cool vrms once you take off fans and try to put on gpu only block

Thanks for the info guys. I just have so much trouble with those stupid VRAM heatsinks not sticking no matter how much I clean it. I can work with a separate VRAM unit though.

Those of you that were worried about the blue PCB of the Gigabyte 670 take a look at this:

img20120514173944th.jpg

img20120514174000.jpg

img20120514174024.jpg

img20120514174237.jpg

img20120514174353.jpg

Just buy the EVGA backplate and you'll need to dremel out the screw holder thingy below the "GTX 680" text and it'll fit perfect. You'll be re-using the screws that came with the cooler and that's the 4 holding the main heatsink and the two for the VRM plate.

Might as well hunt down Asus which besides being black and better has sweet back plate all for same price as Giga + EVGA back plate.

card2.jpg

Didn't feel like waiting any longer, been waiting since forever and was time to byte (pun intended). :)

Didn't feel like waiting any longer, been waiting since forever and was time to byte (pun intended). :)

Hehe I hear ya. I got GB too - but flat black spray paint will do what i need done. (all may not want to void warranty but I do on every product I own)

I managed to grab an EVGA vanilla one on the release date from Amazon. I was surprised they were in stock for almost the whole day. The reference design is relatively quiet although if the Asus were available, I would have grabbed that.

Some of you guys might be interested in the Sony PS3 3d Display for your GTX670. The display looks fantastic on these 670 cards! (didn't look good on my GTX 570 TI - was washed out and looked like non native rez) but there are drivers for the display in the 6xx series drivers (300+ Nvidia drivers). Inky blacks! Great colors! Looks VERY nice!

It is only $300 at ebgames with two PS3 games, (motorstorm 3 and MLB 2012 The show) , two pairs of active 3d glasses. It's a cheap intorduction to the world of 3d! With VERY good image quality.

http://www.ebgames.com/accessories/playstation-3d-display/99662

The display is very impressive IMHO!

So on another note. I just ordered the 670 backplate for my evga. Nice to see them already in stock.

backplate backplate backplate. the backplate doesn't do anything. nothing. and the pcb color... oh my. you fashion conscious walloos

imagine if you got a GREEN PCB

backplate backplate backplate. the backplate doesn't do anything. nothing. and the pcb color... oh my. you fashion conscious walloos

I would burn it and tell newegg it exploded when I turned on my machine then get a refund.

Hehe I hear ya. I got GB too - but flat black spray paint will do what i need done. (all may not want to void warranty but I do on every product I own)

Not sure if serious....

If so, won't that cause some grounding issues?

You sir are correct.. The backplate does nothing other then just look damn good..

And Green PCB.. I Could deal with that.. Then atleast it wouldnt be the funky gigabyte blue.. I have to tell you though.. My favorite was the old Abit Orange.. I want a mobo & a pair of video cards with Orange PCB's..

Back