Which 670 to buy?

damn why doesn't amazon have the gigabyte 670! did they every offer it in stock? i get charged tax at new egg

Yep, they did earlier on.

Newegg seems to have run out of them then restocked another 20+ units :eek:. Seems the availability on these isn't half bad.

I'm going to go with the eVGA superclocked edition most likely, the Gigabytes keep getting sold out.

So I ordered the EVGA standard clocked one. it has already shipped from newegg.. I should have it tomorrow.

If I see that release I'm going to get one as well, but considering the same brands and cards were released on all the sites today, I'm doubting that the ASUS is coming today, hope I'm wrong though because I also want one of those.

I'm confused why they wouldn't be able to get that out today too. Other companies were able to get non reference coolers and pcbs out today.... Asus isn't too small to do the same... I'm still looking everywhere for it....

Guys, correct me if im wrong, but KFA2/Galaxy EX OC is the ONLY card with no components on the left side, and no tower type power connectors right?

Guys, correct me if im wrong, but KFA2/Galaxy EX OC is the ONLY card with no components on the left side, and no tower type power connectors right?

The Gigabyte OC has a non-stacked set of 8-pin+6-pin connectors. It turbos to 1180-1200mhz stock per the reviews I saw, as well :eek:.

The Gigabyte OC has a non-stacked set of 8-pin+6-pin connectors. It turbos to 1180-1200mhz stock per the reviews I saw, as well :eek:.

Yup...turbos pretty high on stock. Mine does +180 over stock OC. A quick OC:

epD3w.jpg

Yep, they did earlier on.

Newegg seems to have run out of them then restocked another 20+ units :eek:. Seems the availability on these isn't half bad.

They already got suckers @ $500 all that's left is us half suckers. Simply less customer pool.

Don't care how well it clocks, but doesn't the pcb look weaker than the kfa2/galaxy card?

gigabyte:
P1050726.jpg

kfa2:
37Wlr.jpg

But yeah thanks, both would work for me... I won't use the cooler so I was mostly interested in the pcb layout.

Galaxy pcb looks better.

Software voltage control a must to seal the deal.

I read that the msi reference 670 card has solid aluminum caps and they advertise that card has a 10 years life 24/7 use.

Whether true or not - that's a good strong draw. I almost was going to go that route, but I'm glad the Gigabyte card came back in stock at newegg cause I'd really prefer the non reference fan solution and guaranteed overclock is bonus.

Is the Gigabyte GTX 670 triple fan solution the go to card for the 670 series? Best cooling and best OC potential?

Hey guys, question. no problem spray painting a video card right? I got Blue PCB and that's no good to me.
Very bad idea. AFAIK it can be done provided you don't use paint with metal and you mask the appropriate parts. I would also be extra cautious of any solvents in the paint as well as if the paint is rated for temperatures of 60+ celsius.

Keep in mind you are actually adding insulation to the card (especially the back side of the GPU that gets very hot), so I hope you plan on putting some decent cooling on there.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1527679&page=2

Zone did you break your budget?

Nah but it's a poor value. But like I said my PSU coulnt not handle highly clocking a 448 to full potential so it was either a new $150 PSU or new card. Since I can dump my 448 to my bro for full retail it's break even.

Now all I have to do is sell waterblock and buy another.

Galaxy pcb looks better.

Software voltage control a must to seal the deal.

Galaxy has a non standard PCB problem = not ref 680 waterblock nor 670 ref will fit.

At least Gigabyte PCB looks identical to 680.

Where did you read you can adjust voltage on Gal?

Galaxy has a non standard PCB problem = not ref 680 waterblock nor 670 ref will fit.

At least Gigabyte PCB looks identical to 680.

Yeah, but the screwholes are normal distance still right? I was just planning on using an aftermarket air cooler, not water. This might sound retarded, but you can't adjust voltage (with software) on 670 cards normally?

Nah but it's a poor value. But like I said my PSU coulnt not handle highly clocking a 448 to full potential so it was either a new $150 PSU or new card. Since I can dump my 448 to my bro for full retail it's break even.

Now all I have to do is sell waterblock and buy another.
If your PSU couldn't handle a 560TI, what makes you think that your PSU can handle a GTX670, especially the Gigabyte Factory OC version with the 1x8pin and 1x6pin connectors?:confused:
With the 1x8 connector and 1x6 connector, it means that card is rated for at least 25 more watts used than a standard GTX670 or GTX560TI 448 with their 2x6pin connectors, if not more...

Last edited:
448 uses over 350W when you approach 1000Mhz. 670 uses 200W @ 1300Mhz..My PSU has all the proper connectors for both cards.

Yeah, but the screwholes are normal distance still right? I was just planning on using an aftermarket air cooler, not water. This might sound retarded, but you can't adjust voltage (with software) on 670 cards normally?

No look at two cards on preceeding page...totally diff screw holes.

However why would you want to upgrade the excellent cooler on the OCed galaxy? (to other than water of course)

I think it's BS - no 6xx can adjust voltage but maybe sonda can clarify.

No look at two cards on preceeding page...totally diff screw holes.

However why would you want to upgrade the excellent cooler on the OCed galaxy? (to other than water of course)

I think it's BS - no 6xx can adjust voltage but maybe sonda can clarify.

Oh okay. I think the distance looks the same on the screw holes haha. But if they aren't then my cooler might not fit... it supports 43mm, 51/61mm, 53mm, 80mm, 51-61mm and 58mm which I think is almost every card available. But if it doesn't then I guess I should just go with the safer Gigabyte board.
It's an Alpenföhn Peter, dunno if it cools better than the Galaxy heatsink but I'd like to reuse it since you can mount any fans you want to get it silent. Don't like the idea of mixturing with fan curves and stuff like that.

Well you can hard mod it... I might do so since I will void warranty anyway with painting ugly blue PCB flat black....can't wait... now all I need is some time - work has me very busy.

Oh okay. I think the distance looks the same on the screw holes haha. But if they aren't then my cooler might not fit... it supports 43mm, 51/61mm, 53mm, 80mm, 51-61mm and 58mm which I think is almost every card available. But if it doesn't then I guess I should just go with the safer Gigabyte board.
It's an Alpenföhn Peter, dunno if it cools better than the Galaxy heatsink but I'd like to reuse it since you can mount any fans you want to get it silent. Don't like the idea of mixturing with fan curves and stuff like that.

The only holes thaty are same are around GPU - otherwise totally diff. Pair of tin snips/dikes though and you're GTG

Psh, if we all lived up to this site's name none of us would be getting the third best product! 690 SLI all the way! :p
Most of us aim to get the best hardware and be enthusiasts.

We don't bitch when a top tier product is out of our $200 budget and demand the companies drop their prices like some entitled child.

Can anyone tell me how a 670 would compare to Crossfire 6970s?

Go look at gtx 680 vs 6990 reviews... I don't know exactly but probably 95 percent average and often matching assuming you buy a nice stock oc 670

Last edited:
Where did you read you can adjust voltage on Gal?

I haven't read anywhere. I was just commenting that software voltage adjustments is a must for me to seal the deal with GTX 670.

In the [H]OCP review there was mention that the GTX 670 will become a well received card by over clocker one non reference PCBs came out with software voltage adjustments.

Also in the [H]OCP review without any type of voltage adjustments the GTX 670 was reaching 333W of load during gaming with BF3. That is not that much power difference from GTX 560 ti 448. I wouldn't be surprised if higher power ratings could be reached with different games or benchmarks.

I think you are kind of jumping the gun on buying GTX 670 so fast. I think there will be GTX 670s with voltage control and will probably reach beyond GTX 560 ti 448 power draw. Might want to wait. Look at buying another PSU?

I'll sell you my Seasonic X760 for $125 if you are interested. I want to get Seasonic Platinum 1000W.

I think the Asus GTX 670 may support voltage tweak for voltage adjustments. It's only day 1 of reviews. I'd wait just a little. Stock and pricing seems firm for $400 right now.

Good luck with what ever you do. I really think you may need a better PSU.

Off topic but could you please PM me with info on how to get 1.3V with software tweaking for my 448?

Asus DirectCU Top?

Gigabyte Windforce 3x?

Or possibly waiting for the potential MSI TF3 or TF4 version? So many choices

Does the gigabyte one offer voltage unlock? I know the Asus one does

Back