Which 500gb NVME M2 SSD would you recommend?

alpharalpha

Weaksauce
Will be first time using an SSD, looking at staying under $60 or so. Currently considering Samsung 970 EVO Plus or 980--though part of me would like to just get a MX500 though I know that's not practical. Any recommendations on a reliable SSD in my price range. The mixed reviews on failure rates has me a bit nervous so durability is my main concern; I don't do anything out of the ordinary with my pc; just hoping an SSD will help web browsing as even with new build: i3-10100,16gb ram and asus rog strix b460 mobo (40mb internet wifi) still getting some lag with page loads, while scrolling down etc. I went with the seagate barracuda 2tb so thinking it's the weak link here.

BlueLineSwinger

[H]ard|Gawd
Little doubt that HDD is holding back your system.

At this point I think it makes little sense to buy a SATA SSD in lieu of a NVMe unit. A good PCIe3 SSD will cost little if any more. The Samsung 970 Evo+ or SK Hynix Gold P31 are fine choices. I'm a little cold on the Samsung 980 as it's DRAM-less.

Don't read too much into failure reports. SSDs are generally much more reliable that HDDs ever were.

sinisterDei

[H]ard|Gawd
If you are moving from a HDD to a first time SSD, there is a 99% chance you won't be able to tell a difference between most SSD models regardless of interface.

My advice is two-fold. One is to avoid QLC based drives if possible, and the other is to buy the biggest SSD you can, prioritizing capacity over performance and brand. Your cheap 500GB SSDs are $45 while your 1TB drives start around $80.

ochadd

[H]ard|Gawd
970 EVO plus would be a good decision. If durability and reliability are paramount my recommendation has always been Intel. Intel S series SATA SSDs are bullet proof in my experience. I have many Intel S3610 480GB - 1.6 TB drives them in RAID 10 and RAID 50 arrays running 24/7/365 enterprise database workloads. Still perform like new. *knock on wood* never had one fail. Can find them on the used market in your price range on occasion.

alpharalpha

Weaksauce
If you are moving from a HDD to a first time SSD, there is a 99% chance you won't be able to tell a difference between most SSD models regardless of interface.

My advice is two-fold. One is to avoid QLC based drives if possible, and the other is to buy the biggest SSD you can, prioritizing capacity over performance and brand. Your cheap 500GB SSDs are $45 while your 1TB drives start around $80.
I was wondering about that, I see Crucial P2 & WDSN550 for lower price in 1tb, but still more than a Samsung 980/970EVO+ in 500gb.

Last edited:

Mopar63

n00b
I have used Inland Professional drives and been very happy. Also like Crucial P5 Plus