Which 2TB drives for NAS?

Skillz'n Magic

Weaksauce
I currently have a Synology DS209+ with two 1 TB WD10EADS drives as a backup for one of my VMware clusters. It's worked great but it's time to upgrade.

I'm going to upgrade to an RS409+ and fill it with four 2 TB drives. I've gone through the list of approved drives from Synology but I'm having trouble picking one. Every drive seems to have poor ratings at Newegg, so that's of no help, and I haven't found anything that really stuck out online either.

My choices are:

Western Digital
WD2002FYPS6
WD20EADS-00R6B0
WD20EVDS-63T3B0

Seagate
ST32000542AS
ST32000644NS

Hitachi
HDS722020ALA330

I'm leaning toward the WD20EADS. Thoughs?

I swore I'd never buy another Deathstar as I had all of my IBM ones die on me back in the day. It looks like Hitachi only took the name though and made great strides with the drives. I'm open to consider them.

I also should be clear that reliability is my #1 concern as these drives will be in a data center rack over an hour away. These will be in a NAS used to house image-level backups, so once a day they get hit hard and that's it, so screaming performance isn't a huge deal.

Hitachi's are slow(er) than other 7200rpm drives. I have over a dozen 7200.11's 1.5TB's, 8x WD Greens 1.5TBs (well 5 currently since I killed 3 in 14 days of stress testing and the 3 are in RMA land), and 6x Hitachi 2TB (another 2x 1TB drives) and I'm about to buy more Hitachi's.

Back