Which 280mm would you pick for Ryzen?

Which AIO cooler would you choose?

• EVGA CLC 280 (5th gen Asetek, loud-ass fans, ass RGB)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corsair H115i Pro XT (new CoolIT design, don't necessarily like the AM4 mount, cooler RGB)

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Corsair H115i Pro (older version, 6th gen Asetek, slightly less loud-ass fans, less cool RGB)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Other (same price range, please post in thread)

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

GilmourD

[H]F Junkie
Trying to figure out which way to go with this... Ryzen 5 3600, AIO would be front mounted in a Corsair Air 540 case.

EVGA CLC 280 (5th gen Asetek, loud-ass fans, ass RGB)

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Liquid-Cooler-Cooling-400-HY-CL28-V1/dp/B01MSDQTMU/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=clc%2B280&qid=1579665316&sr=8-3&th=1

Corsair H115i Pro XT (new CoolIT design, don't necessarily like the AM4 mount, cooler RGB)

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Radiator-Software-Control-Liquid/dp/B0829RYPKM/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=h115i+pro+xt&qid=1579695866&sr=8-2

Corsair H115i Pro (older version, 6th gen Asetek, slightly less loud-ass fans, less cool RGB)

https://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Advanced-Lighting-Software-compatible/dp/B077G3C6HH/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=h115i+pro&qid=1579695903&sr=8-2

Other options in the same price range?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the EVGA CLC280 and while it does a great job the fans are to damn loud and I have them basically set at 40%, which is still not quiet, until my temps on the CPU raise above 55C. This keeps them quieter for the most part unless I really stress the system, at the time I would not care if they are louder. The software also sucks that controls the fans as it makes them max out at 60 degrees CPU temp or control via water temp. There is no way using the supplied crap software to set the curve's high temp higher than 60 degrees. Which is stupid. There also is not a way to auto control the pump speed on a curve, only whatever you set it at and manual control. Stupid compared to what you can do in iCue with the Corsair devices. Since I already have it I am not upgrading just yet to another Corsair unit and even so that would be the 150i if I do. So I voted for the Cosair Pro XT unit.

Trying to figure out which way to go with this... Ryzen 5 3600, AIO would be front mounted in a Corsair Air 540 case.

What are your other components? Reason I ask is what RGB ecosystem do you want to be in? For example if you already have iCue to control some Corsair LL fans/RAM/light strips, then I would stick with something from Corsair so you're not having to install 15 different pieces of RGB software to make changes. Also ASUS and Corsair just announced a partnership where you can actually control newer generation motherboards with the iCue software.

Maybe you don't care about RGB, so the point may be moot. Even then you will have to install the software to turn it all off.

Also looks like the mounting system for the Pro and the Pro XT are the same for AM4.

Just somethings to think about. I worked really hard in my current build to get everything into iCue, I was able to even get my EK waterblocks into it.

What are your other components? Reason I ask is what RGB ecosystem do you want to be in? For example if you already have iCue to control some Corsair LL fans/RAM/light strips, then I would stick with something from Corsair so you're not having to install 15 different pieces of RGB software to make changes. Also ASUS and Corsair just announced a partnership where you can actually control newer generation motherboards with the iCue software.

Maybe you don't care about RGB, so the point may be moot. Even then you will have to install the software to turn it all off.

Also looks like the mounting system for the Pro and the Pro XT are the same for AM4.

Just somethings to think about. I worked really hard in my current build to get everything into iCue, I was able to even get my EK waterblocks into it.
Everything's in my sig. I have no RGB at all but the mobo has AsRock Polychrome control. I'm up in the air regarding RGB control, but I always felt like Corsair's ecosystem for RGB is expensive.

The ProXT is CoolIT rather than Asetek, so it uses an old-style crossbar mounting system. For the Wraith Stealth I removed the mounts for that and lost a screw, so I'd have to find a screw to put it back on. LOL That's not a big deal, but I feel like the four points of the mount is better than two points.

the pro xt. its designed for them. i havent had an issue with either of my corsiar's mounting the way they/these do, makes it easy and pressure is fine. i'd look for that screw...

Everything's in my sig. I have no RGB at all but the mobo has AsRock Polychrome control. I'm up in the air regarding RGB control, but I always felt like Corsair's ecosystem for RGB is expensive.

I won't argue with you there. There's definitely a price premium to be had for Corsair stuff, but the functionality and ability to layer multiple effects is what sets it apart from most RGB systems. I have yet to get into any of the digital 5v RGB mobo stuff, so maybe Aura, Ploychrome, Fusion etc. have gotten better over time.

The ProXT is CoolIT rather than Asetek, so it uses an old-style crossbar mounting system. For the Wraith Stealth I removed the mounts for that and lost a screw, so I'd have to find a screw to put it back on. LOL That's not a big deal, but I feel like the four points of the mount is better than two points.

I went and looked at the manual for the H115i Pro and watched This video and it looks like it mounts the same as the Pro XT. So if the crossbar mounting is an issue, you'd have to consider it for both.

Looking at the motherboard is has a 5v Addressable RGB header, I bet you could make an adapter to convert the corsair connector to work with your mobo.

I put my vote in for the Pro XT, newest of the new and Corsair AIOs have always treated me well. Plus I like the black CPU block.

Speaking from personal experience, the h115i Platinum rgb I had worked amazingly well on the 2700x I have with a 4.2ghz all core load. I just had a chance to upgrade to a new h150i for free so I had to, otherwise I'd still be happily using the h115i.

Mounts are the same for what you'll be using it for. I had a coolit pump and an asetek pump from Corsair and both use basically the same system for AM4.

Mounts are the same for what you'll be using it for. I had a coolit pump and an asetek pump from Corsair and both use basically the same system for AM4.
I ended up going for the XT, but just for educational purposes...

Asetek AM4 mount:

s-l640.jpg

CoolIT AM4 mount:

IMG_20190611_120139_large.jpg

Asetek AM4 mount:

View attachment 217618

CoolIT AM4 mount:

View attachment 217619

They must have changed something along the way, I don't know what else to say. The H115i Platinum I had (coolit pump) had basically the same style mounts as you pictured for the Asetek pump I just installed only days ago which I ordered new from Corsair Direct.

Edit: I ordered my H115i in July of 2019 so it's wasn't that old...

Side note: I'm not arguing that one is better than the other because quite frankly, I prefer the Asetek 4 point mounting system over the AMD two point. I also prefer the coolit pump over the Asetek pump as it seems to perform a touch better and was definitely quieter. When I had the H115i, I never once heard the pump but with the Asetek pump, if I put my head next to the PC I can hear it.

Edit: For those that are curious (if any), unless you are going purely for aesthetics, I'd stick with the H115i Platinum where possible. Quieter, cooled just as well from what I'm seeing, and you can customize the RGB's on the block 10x over what you can with the H150i/asetek pump. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
yeah i could have swore that the asetek am3 was just straight across but now that i think of it i might be thinking of my h60 with a square pump.

Asetek AM4 mount:

CoolIT AM4 mount:

Not here to argue either, just wanting the information to be correct for anyone that might have the same questions.

This was pulled from the Corsair website from the H115i PRO Quick Start Guide and shows the two tab vs the 4 tab for the AMD bracket. Link for reference

upload_2020-1-22_18-18-29.png

It's not to say that what you posted isn't an AMD bracket for Asetek pumps, but from the looks of the H115i PRO they went with a different design for mounting the brackets.

Not here to argue either, just wanting the information to be correct for anyone that might have the same questions.

This was pulled from the Corsair website from the H115i PRO Quick Start Guide and shows the two tab vs the 4 tab for the AMD bracket. Link for reference

View attachment 217651

It's not to say that what you posted isn't an AMD bracket for Asetek pumps, but from the looks of the H115i PRO they went with a different design for mounting the brackets.
huh though so.
this is what i remembered

upload_2020-1-22_18-33-34.png

What GilmourD posted was what the typical Asetek design was, but if you even look at the Intel bracket for the newer Corsair designs they are different too. They appear to have those 4 lugs vs. the great white shark look lol....

As I noted. It depends on the control you want to have over the AIO, with the three choices listed. The EVGA has crap control software with no Auto Control of the pump, only manual. The Corsair have software control of the fans and pump speed based on either custom settings or the ones that are setup by them. I have a Corsair K70 RGB keyboard than has a profile switch on it and three separate settings so the Corsair AIO I had could have three separate fan/pump profiles I could easily switch between with the push of a button. It was nice. But I upgraded to the EVGA and now hate it. I will soon bump to an H150i when I get a new job and have actual income again. The EVGA does its think but has the least control of the three options you chose and the loudest fans.

As I noted. It depends on the control you want to have over the AIO, with the three choices listed. The EVGA has crap control software with no Auto Control of the pump, only manual. The Corsair have software control of the fans and pump speed based on either custom settings or the ones that are setup by them. I have a Corsair K70 RGB keyboard than has a profile switch on it and three separate settings so the Corsair AIO I had could have three separate fan/pump profiles I could easily switch between with the push of a button. It was nice. But I upgraded to the EVGA and now hate it. I will soon bump to an H150i when I get a new job and have actual income again. The EVGA does its think but has the least control of the three options you chose and the loudest fans.

The EVGA CLCs always seem to rise to the top when considering bang for buck based on all the reviews I've seen. The 280 is $110 and the 360 is $130. Could you not just plug your pump and fans into the motherboard headers and control them there however you want? You could also upgrade the fans to get the system quieter. This is one of the options I'm considering now as I've purchased the new Corsair 150i Pro XT (CoolIt), but have no idea when it will show up. It's showing on Amazon as unavailable. I posted in the air cooler 3950x thread about it. China seems to be shutdown and I'm betting that mid March will be the earliest they will show up in America.

To the original poster, if you can wait, I would go for the newer Corsair 150i Pro XT for $159.99.

The EVGA CLCs always seem to rise to the top when considering bang for buck based on all the reviews I've seen. The 280 is $110 and the 360 is $130. Could you not just plug your pump and fans into the motherboard headers and control them there however you want? You could also upgrade the fans to get the system quieter. This is one of the options I'm considering now as I've purchased the new Corsair 150i Pro XT (CoolIt), but have no idea when it will show up. It's showing on Amazon as unavailable. I posted in the air cooler 3950x thread about it. China seems to be shutdown and I'm betting that mid March will be the earliest they will show up in America.

To the original poster, if you can wait, I would go for the newer Corsair 150i Pro XT for $159.99.

I have the fans and pump plugged into the MB headers so I had better control over the fans. I forgot that the pump is not PWM and is DC and had it set to PWM in the BIOS so it was always full blast. I changed that and now have a curve for the pump.

I did like my old Corsair100i Pro I had where I could change profiles on the fly for different scenerios from my keyboard button. May update to the 150i eventually, not that I have a case with room for it.

I have the fans and pump plugged into the MB headers so I had better control over the fans. I forgot that the pump is not PWM and is DC and had it set to PWM in the BIOS so it was always full blast. I changed that and now have a curve for the pump.

I did like my old Corsair100i Pro I had where I could change profiles on the fly for different scenerios from my keyboard button. May update to the 150i eventually, not that I have a case with room for it.

I have an Asetek 570LX that I bought used on my graphics card and I run the pump wide open. I also have the pump on my H100i set to extreme, so, it's pretty much wide open. I don't notice them over the other fans, so I don't think it would be an issue for me.

What I'm warming up to the idea of is finding an AIO with the strongest pump and thickest, highest fpi radiator available and using detuned Deltas to run it. tangoseal

Last edited:
I have an Asetek 570LX that I bought used on my graphics card and I run the pump wide open. I also have the pump on my H100i set to extreme, so, it's pretty much wide open. I don't notice them over the other fans, so I don't think it would be an issue for me.

What I'm warming up to the idea of is finding an AIO with the strongest pump and thickest, highest fpi radiator available and using detuned Deltas to run it. tangoseal

I was actually looking at the Corsair Custom Loops you can build, since I have a Corsair case the builder picks perfectly what will fit. I mean it is adding on for all the RGB Bling but it all would look so cool in my all glass case. For a 360 custom loop I am looking at around $400 if I use the fans that came with my case that I am actually not using at the moment or $520 if I want to upgrade the fans, not sure if I would gain in cooling there though. If I decide to go with a 3950X or if a new 4000 series will work with the X570 chipset then I may go that route. For now the EVGA is doing just fine. For me the front glass panel of the case has no RGB right now so I may just buy some RGB fans for the EVGA to replace the noisy ones that came with it.

I was actually looking at the Corsair Custom Loops you can build, since I have a Corsair case the builder picks perfectly what will fit. I mean it is adding on for all the RGB Bling but it all would look so cool in my all glass case. For a 360 custom loop I am looking at around $400 if I use the fans that came with my case that I am actually not using at the moment or $520 if I want to upgrade the fans, not sure if I would gain in cooling there though. If I decide to go with a 3950X or if a new 4000 series will work with the X570 chipset then I may go that route. For now the EVGA is doing just fine. For me the front glass panel of the case has no RGB right now so I may just buy some RGB fans for the EVGA to replace the noisy ones that came with it.

$400? Seems low based on the pricing I've seen on the Corsair stuff, even without fans. Can you show me your part list. I may be interested.

$400? Seems low based on the pricing I've seen on the Corsair stuff, even without fans. Can you show me your part list. I may be interested.
My bad it was $520 without the fans. See attached list. I already have the fans and the RGB lighting controller for the fans since they came with the case.

Attachments

• configuration-qfkIep-en.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
My bad it was $520 without the fans. See attached list. I already have the fans and the RGB lighting controller for the fans since they came with the case.

I've got oodles of LL120 fans, I have the Corsair Commander, etc. I'm actually toying with DIY watercooling, but I wouldn't go the Corsair route. I'm also considering dumping all the Corsair stuff and getting a Thermaltake Floe 360 and matching fans for the case. I wonder how much I can sell all the Corsair stuff for. I'll probably change my mind by tomorrow though.

I've got oodles of LL120 fans, I have the Corsair Commander, etc. I'm actually toying with DIY watercooling, but I wouldn't go the Corsair route. I'm also considering dumping all the Corsair stuff and getting a Thermaltake Floe 360 and matching fans for the case. I wonder how much I can sell all the Corsair stuff for. I'll probably change my mind by tomorrow though.

It really is not going to magically make my 3900X faster so I just keep wanting but am keeping myself from sending the money. Lol

If you do go DIY you can keep the Corsair stuff and use it as fan and led controler. I have a full EK setup and with a little bit of cable making I was able to take the standard 5v 3 Pin headers and convert them to the proprietary Corsair connections. I was even able to make my own LED strips. At this point everything, except my motherboard, is controlled in iCue.

If you do go DIY you can keep the Corsair stuff and use it as fan and led controler. I have a full EK setup and with a little bit of cable making I was able to take the standard 5v 3 Pin headers and convert them to the proprietary Corsair connections. I was even able to make my own LED strips. At this point everything, except my motherboard, is controlled in iCue.
I'm not afraid of making cables. Did you just replace the 3 pin connectors with 4 pin fan connectors? I was looking at EK. They have a $400 kit that seems like a good starting point. There appear to be a lot of "opinions" about the best block for Ryzen 3000 series though.

I'm not afraid of making cables. Did you just replace the 3 pin connectors with 4 pin fan connectors? I was looking at EK. They have a $400 kit that seems like a good starting point. There appear to be a lot of "opinions" about the best block for Ryzen 3000 series though.

Everyone has their favorite brand and/or preference. To be honest most of these blocks are within a couple of degrees of each other when referring to how much heat they can transfer from the CPU. They are just one piece to a bigger puzzle. I went with a known brand and aesthetics. Do I have the most efficient block out there, maybe not, but my CPU temps are significantly lower and I am happy with the result.

As for the connector conversion check out This thread and if you want a history on the connector you can watch this:

Not sure if I should edit my previous post about it being a proprietary connection based on one YouTube video, but I guess in the RGB world Corsair's connection is proprietary. Anyways......

Enough thread hijack: GilmourD did you get the Corsair H115i Pro XT installed? How do you like it?

Back