Which 24" IPS 1920x1200 with AG-coating <$400?

sadbuttrue

Gawd
Ive ruled out the Dell u2412m due to backlight flicker.

I'm currently looking at the NEC 2490wuxi (second-hand) or HP ZR2440w (ex-dem). Are there any other quality displays in my price range, new or second-hand?

The display is to be used in portait mode. A good stand would be nice but not crucial.

sadbuttrue

Gawd
The flicker affects some more than offers. Having poor eyesight, wearing glasses and being a migraine sufferrer compounds the problem.

The asus looks like a good option. Unfortunately here in the UK it retails for $600. Gotta love this country.

Mchart

Supreme [H]ardness
For the price, and your indicated price range I beleive the HP ZR2440w to be the best choice.

NCX

Supreme [H]ardness
Samsung S24A850D..if you don't mind the possibility of getting one with back-light bleeding. The semi-glossy coating is 10x better than the grainy garbage matte IPS panels use, and it has low input lag. Not sure about the LED PWM flicker.

tk-don

Limp Gawd
Ive ruled out the Dell u2412m due to backlight flicker.

I'm currently looking at the NEC 2490wuxi (second-hand) or HP ZR2440w (ex-dem). Are there any other quality displays in my price range, new or second-hand?

The display is to be used in portait mode. A good stand would be nice but not crucial.
Regarding flicker: CCFLs (or the phosphors) glow a long time (a few ms) after they have been turned off - the same principle in why CRTs shows an image and not just what appears to be dots with tails - even though decay time differs between phosphorous compositions. LEDs are comparatively instantly off (within a few microseconds) Have you tried any CCFL based monitors - or what did you use prior to the U2412M?

If you have good experience with other CCFL based monitors, the 2490WUXI would completely trounce the ZR2440W regarding PQ (non-aggressive AG coating) and features if it is in good condition. They are/were not targetting the same users with the same needs :)