Which 22" would you buy?

mis3

Gawd
I am currently usng the Dell Ultra Sharp 19-inch and it"s a great monitor.

I just built a new PC with Q6600 + 8800GTS/320 MB and I would like to upgrade to a larger monitor.

I would buy another Dell but they don't have any 22-inch in the Ultra Sharp lineup.

If it's your money, which 22-inch would you buy?

After owning a Samsung SM-226BW (All be it one with no lettering on the back) for 4 days i took it back for a refund, the viewing angles were worse than i expected, colours poor at best even after a lot of messing about with settings.
I wouldn't touch a 22inch monitor with a 10foot pole at the moment, i just recently got a 24inch dell and the difference is amazing, keep your money and save up for one you will not be disappointed. (bar the fact i have one stuck pixel but they are sending me a new one, distance selling regulations ftw)

Good to know. I don"t really know too much about montiors.

I see that Dell 2407 WFP-HC is on sales now, $649 (maybe $600 if I bargain). What do you think?

If you game I would make sure you get a 2ms monitor, I love my 226BW, which is a ("C") version. But you have to use a calibration device to really get it to shine. THe above poster probably didn't use a calibration device, you just can't set it up manually and expect good colors.

This is the specs of the Dell 2407 WFP-HC:

- 1920x1200 pixels resolution provides sharp and brilliant images of text and graphics
- 400 cd/m² brightness and 1000:1 contrast ratio delivers high color accuracy and uniformity
- Supports advanced features like PIP (Picture in Picture) and PBP (Picture By Picture)
- 6 ms typical response time enables crisp and clear images
- Offers viewing angle of 178° horizontal and vertical
- Supported by Dell Technical Support, includes a 3-Year Warranty

If you game I would make sure you get a 2ms monitor, I love my 226BW, which is a ("C") version. But you have to use a calibration device to really get it to shine. THe above poster probably didn't use a calibration device, you just can't set it up manually and expect good colors.

True, but i would have liked decent colours without having to pay extra for a calibration device, this dell is pretty much spot on out of the box.

have you checked out the HP w2207? Its got amazing color and no ghosting.

I don't know but 24-inch is really big.

For those of you who has this size monitor, how does it work besides gaming nad watching movies. In other words, how is this monitor in office applications and browsing?

If you had to get one right now it would either be a samsung 226bw or the hp 2207. The reason for the 2 instead of one is because one is glossy the other isn't so the choice is yours. Now if you can wait I would say you look at the new lg monitors that will come in November. One is 20" the other 22", the 22" will be November and 20" in October. It'll have a 5000:1 contrast ratio and yea, its the dynamic contrast and its a tn panel but at least it will be an upgrade. I don't think you have many choices because currently all 22" monitors are tn.

I wonder how that new LG 22 coming in Nov. will compare to the 2207. Reason I'm asking is because i'm almost dead set on the 2207 but if there is a better 22 inch coming out soon I might just wait for that and compare it to the HP.

I don't know but 24-inch is really big.

For those of you who has this size monitor, how does it work besides gaming nad watching movies. In other words, how is this monitor in office applications and browsing?

Its really good, you can have two browser windows open at once, perhaps one with a video in, the other with hard forums on :p You can also have two programs like word and firefox.
The extra space really comes in handy, i used to full screen most applications on my old 17, but now i window everything, have my browser open, half screen, win amp etc, msn.
And compared to the quality of some of the 22inch TN panels (if you don't have any calibration device) the difference is amazing, i strongly recommend the 24 over the 22 any day for any application, the extra space is really handy.

What is the actual screen space for a 24-inch LCD? For my 19-inch, it's roughly 180 sq.in (12 x 15).

Like I said, I did not see a large monitor before on a PC (I know, I should go to the local Best Buy to take a look). Let say I open 2 MS-Word document, would each document look too small? If I open one document, would it look too big since I am sitting only 2 feet away?

What is the actual screen space for a 24-inch LCD? For my 19-inch, it's roughly 180 sq.in (12 x 15).

Like I said, I did not see a large monitor before on a PC (I know, I should go to the local Best Buy to take a look). Let say I open 2 MS-Word document, would each document look too small? If I open one document, would it look too big since I am sitting only 2 feet away?

Well this is 13x20 there abouts so thats 260 sq.in, might be a bit more a bit less.
As for the two word documents, less than half the screen is the width of one page at 100%
Heres a screen shot or two MS words open side by side.

Doesn't the hp 2207 use the same panel as the 225BW? If so it's just the glossy screen making it look different. some people say when you first see on it can fool the eyes into thinking the image is better.

What are the native resolutions of a 22-inch and 24-inch?

As for screen size, if I open up only one document full screen, it will be displayed in the middle of the screen with blank spaces on both sides?

Had 2 different 22" LCDs and took both back (226bw and HP 2207). I even went out and bought a calibration device to make up for the TN panels lack of color accuracy but it simply was a no go.

Went back to 20" P-MVA and life is good again.

I would not buy ANY 22" TN panel right now.

What are the native resolutions of a 22-inch and 24-inch?

As for screen size, if I open up only one document full screen, it will be displayed in the middle of the screen with blank spaces on both sides?

22 is 1680x1050
24 is 1900x1200

Yes that is how it will appear one sheet in the middle whit a shat load of empty space to either side, but thats why you don't run it like that, you make it fill half the screen and the rest you can put your music player, IM client what ever that's the great thing, and i didn't feel i had enough space to do that on the 22.

So, if I usually open one sheet at a time, there is no point to get a 24-inch, right?

Maybe I should get a 22-inch.

Not sure if it's worth it to go from 19 to 20.

So, if I usually open one sheet at a time, there is no point to get a 24-inch, right?

Maybe I should get a 22-inch.

Not sure if it's worth it to go from 19 to 20.

Its not much better on a 22 to be honest, put it this way, if you like running a lot of things at once windowed get the 24. You missing the point the idea is not to have things full screen when you get to this size, you have lots of things in little windows.

I remember when I bought my 19-inch 2 years ago, my main concern was the font size because my eyes were getting worse. Because both 17-inch and 19-inch share the same native resolution, I went with a 19-inch (everything is a bit bigger)

Now for 24-inch, since it shares the same resolution (1920 x 1200) as a 27-inch, I probably should consider the 27-inch but it's huge. Not sure if I want to sit 2 feet in front of it.

Just curious, what is the native resolution of a 20-inch? I don't think there's any point to go from 19-inch to 20-inch.

I just bought a LG 22" LG Monitor L226WTQ
a couple months ago ...

Seems like a pretty good monitor. No problems with games or movie watching.

When I turn the monitor on I can see some back light issues coming from the top and bottom of the monitor but during use I dont notice this at all.
I would purchase this monitor again if I was in the market for a 22"
ie in the UK its one of the best bangs for the buck 22" monitor.

In the states I had a 2405 dell. I really liked it; ie the space. I had some ghosting issues when I had my xbox hooked up to it thou. I think it was only the 2405 that had these issues but not totally sure.

Just curious, what is the native resolution of a 20-inch? I don't think there's any point to go from 19-inch to 20-inch.

Same as the 22, you can always increase font size if its too small on the 24 or what ever.

Get a 24" if you can afford it.

If not, I would go with a 226cw or the new LG(can't remember the model #). They are the most impressive ones that I've got to look at.

I just picked up a 225BW at the local Sam's club for 298.dollars That is lower than their regular price I think. Newegg has a rebate deal going. The website said that my local club had no inventory but I stopped in and they had it in stock.
I like is so far, after a couple hours.
Sep

Get the 226BW and keep exchanging or returning it until you get an S model. :D

Best advice: Skip the 22's and get a 24 inch panel, if native resolution is too high for text viewing you can always bump it down to something more comfortable to you, contrary to popular belief, you CAN use an lcd panel at less than native resolution with excellent results (although not all of the resolution choices will be good, some of them will).

contrary to popular belief, you CAN use an lcd panel at less than native resolution with excellent results...

I've never seen an LCD monitor for which this is true. Non-native resolutions always produce scaling artifacts that are easy to detect. A PC desktop is the most unforgiving environment when it comes to scaling.

Thats true, downscaling always evoke a (little) lack of qualitiy. Besides, the 24ers from LG will adapt that 5000:1 contrast-ratio too. That will be hot...this info comes directly from LG.

If you play games, keep in mind getting a 24" or higher means you need close to the top of the line vid card just to play at a reasonable frame rate at the 1900 resolution. Lower the resolution and everything looks blurry.

I hear for Crysis to play at 22" 1600x1050, you need a 8800GTS640 megs. This comes from the owner of the company making Crysis and this means for 24" you need the GTX or the Ultra.

I am in the same sort of dilemma as the OP. I have a dell ultra sharp 1905FP (with DVI) and am very happy with it, but seeing the prices of 22" ws monitors, am very tempted to upgrade. I have the choice of the following - quite close in prices:
1. LG 226WTQ
2. Samsung 226BW
3. Dell E228WFP

I have somewhat weak eyesight, so prefer the 22" over the 20" for the same resolution - will give me bigger fonts. I really like my 19" over similar res. 17".

My use is mostly general PC work (text must be razor sharp) and sometimes games - much less nowadays for which I dumb down the res. to 1024x768 or 800x600 depending on how my older 6600gt can handle the game. Not so important for me and seems to look fine mostly.

It does seem that the LG is better than both Samsung / Dell from what I have skimmed through here, but balanced opinions are welcome. TIA.

I also have a choice of Dell's SP2008WFP - 20" ws with integrated 2 mp webcam, USB ports, etc.

Back