Which 120mm fan flows the most with least dBA?

The #'s are never accurate.

Ive been very happy with the scythe gentle typhoon series.

so i guess if we also factor in price, the Yate's are the #1?

so cheapest, quietest, most flowing (in that order) are the Yate Loon

For the number on the box to mean something, testing procedures would need to be standardized. They are not. Even the units aren't the same for "DB": DBA (weighted for frequency) vs DB SPL. At best, you can compare with other products in the same line thusly: compared to a reference, 3db more "is the same loudness as two references next to each other", and 10db more "sounds twice as loud" as the reference to most people.

For the price, Yate Loon (low-speed) kick everything else's butt. When I need a little more oomph, I use the S-Flex 1600rpm (heatsink, exhaust) on a fan controller.

According to newegg,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...72726538 1373026503 1373126554&name=15-20 dBA

this fan is the highest flowing 120mm with the least dBA.

That is a miss print it should be 69 CFM and the dBA is a little higher than 19. When they first put the blue ones on sale they were also listed at 90 but then corrected to 69. I guess they never bothered to fix the red ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103060

I own three of these fans and they are very quiet in relation to their CFM. I think their listed CFM is accurate but I'd probably put their dBA a little closer to 23-24. I also have a couple Scythe S-Flex SFF21G 120mm (75 cfm, 35 dBA) for heat sinks and they are noticeably higher dBA than the CM fans. However I picked these up because of their super long life, don't want one taking a dump on me while its attached to a heat sink.

According to newegg,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...72726538 1373026503 1373126554&name=15-20 dBA

this fan is the highest flowing 120mm with the least dBA.

Trick is, are the numbers shown here accurate? in the REAL world, which fan flows the most, but is quietest? :D

For ex, the cooler master says 19 but reviewers agree its louder than that.

Before this can be answered, are these going to be in free air, such as in a case, or be used on a HS, or other device that will introduce a back pressure?

For pure CFM to noise, the Slipstream fans win, and are not really that bad of a price 8 bucks each. My choice for a HS fan would be the GT fans, a good deal more, but worth it.

Scythe Gentle Typhoon... there are videos on youtube comparing the noise of many fans. The Gentle Typhoon, S-flex, Sanyo Denki SanAce (which I use) are among the best, but I have to admit that the GT beats out my San Ace.

According to the CFM testing (through a radiator, so there is a pressure load) the GT STILL beats my 38mm thick SanAce setup. I wish I had 10x GTs instead of 10x SanAce (but I paid less than $6 each, so I'd do it again).

For price: Yate Loons from Petras Tech Shop (do they still have the only REAL Yates?), or... sometimes I see the Zalman ZM-F3 selling for maybe $7, and that is better than Yate. Those fans cannot be mounted horizontally (sleeve bearing).

Now I'm not going to find the links to the tests right now, but you should be able to find those youtube videos at least, and they are really a part of the tests on Xtremesystems.

Back