Which 120hz LCD do you have? Would you recommend it?

Hi All,

As the title says. Which 120hz monitor do you have, and would you recommend it?

I'm looking to pick up a 120hz myself now that I have built my new rig. But I am a nub when it comes to displays. I know there are only TN panels available for 120hz which is fine with me. The main selling point for me is the refresh rate and pixel response. I want my picture to run as smooth as possible. Preferred resolution is 1920x1080, which I believe is the most common among the current 120hz monitors.

I'll note here that the purpose of me looking into a 120hz is for gaming and gaming only.

Currently I'm using a gateway 22" @ 1680x1050 (16:10) which I believe has a TN panel. This monitor has significant light bleed towards the top of the screen and about half as much on the bottom. It's pretty annoying when I'm watching a movie, but when I'm gaming I don't even notice because I'm so focused on the action.

So~ What are your recommendations?

Edit:: I forgot to mention, I don't plan on doing 3D

Last edited:
I had the Samsung 2233rz, it had annoying backlight bleed and I am mostly a console gamer so I upgraded to a Glossy 60hz Acer G245H.

Asus VG236H Review

This is the best all around 3D monitor, also having a Glossy screen means it will display the most vibrant colors, while the other monitors use AG coating which leads to dirty whites or the "screen door effect," of course this comes at a price as it's prone to reflections.

Alienware

Acer GD245HQ

It has 17ms of input lag.

LG W2363D Review

The LG has poor contrast and lacks ergonomics and most people report a lot of backlight bleeding.

I was not even going to bother posting info about the BenQ, but TFT central got a very good review sample, which was most likely cherry picked. It seems to have horrible quality control, it's also the slowest 120hz panel in fact it's similar to a 5ms TN in terms of response time which defeats the purpose of a 120hz panel.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2410t.htm

FlatpanelsHD.com has also tested most of these if you want to read more/see pictures, except they didn't get as good calibration results.

Most companies have also announced a bunch of new 3D monitors at the most recent CES, my advice would be to wait for reviews on the new ones before buying. Check TFT centrals News page to see.

I also have the Samsung and The Acer 120hz. Between the 2 the Samsung has the least amount of smearing or blurring , the Acer has better PQ and contrast. My Samsung didn't have backlight bleed that badly , just a bit from bottom.

Downside of the Samsung is really the lower resolution. The Acer does have some red blur on text with overdrive enabled , you have to goto the service menu to turn it off but if you turn the monitor off the settings are not saved. This was my biggest pet peeve with the Acer , every time it went into sleep mode it would lose my preset setting so I would have to set it each time.

BenQ has a really nice 120hz monitor that reviewed well but getting it in the states is pretty much impossible right now. It has the lowest input latency of any 120hz panel (something like 5.6ms and a max of 20ms) and has very good color balance and contrast.

I vote you go for the Asus 120hz panel since it reviewed well and can be bought off Newegg for about $350. If the BenQ was out in the states that would have been my first recommendation.

I have the BenQ. It's okay. Really like the height-adjustable stand and its good looks, and picture quality is acceptable. There is some backlight bleed but it's not too excessive. Viewing angles are poor but that's the case with other 120Hz monitors as well.

i have the Asus, and its great except for alot of bleeding on the bottom of the screen, not a big deal for me since you cant see it unless in a very dark scene but it doesnt bother me. not enough for me to go back to 60hz.

i have 2 60hz Asus monitors sitting on each side of it for eyefinity and the 120hz one blows them away.

Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone. I'm really leaning towards the ASUS but it'll be a couple of months until I actually buy one so I'll have to do more research then.

I owned the Samsung and it was garbage. I now have the Asus and it still has backlight bleed but its a nicer monitor.

I have the Samsung and once calibrated the only issue is the fact it's an ugly TN panel. The response time and motion blur is nowhere near CRT quality*, but for the most part it is smooth enough. Those with more than one 120hz display claim there is little if any difference between the older and newer models. Each and every 120hz monitor seems to have inferior levels of backlight bleed compared to their 60hz counterparts. It's a joke tbh, considering they charge a 50% premium for the addition of a 10cent microchip.

*The Samsung 2233rz has replaced a Sony FW900.

i've owned a few (samsung, viewsonic, lg) but can't recommend any of them
tn picture quality is just ridiculous

as far as input lag goes:
lg - no input lag
old samsung/viewsonic - 1 frame
asus - 2 frames
benq - 2 frames
acer - 3 frames

don't look at "average" input lag measurements
0-3 frames of lag is much worse than a steady 2 frames or so

Nice Trolling effort. IPS monitors except the U2311H/IPS226V are poor choices for gaming. Having glowing corners, grey blacks, slower response time and half the screen tinted while paying a premium is in no way justified compared to putting up with viewing angles. Most gamers don't have ADD and shift their head side to side for viewing angles to even be a problem.

Brightness uniformity varies on both as does backlight bleed.

16ms=1 Frame of Input lag.

LG W2363D-0ms by everyone
Asus VG236H-0ms Flatpanels/12ms Digital Versus
BenQ XL240T 0ms PRAD/Flat PanelsHD/5.6ms TFT Central
Alienware AW2310-13.2ms Digital Versus
Samsung 2233rz 10ms Prad/12ms Digital Versus/15ms TFT central
Acer GD235HZ 17ms Prad/17.8ms Digital Versus

Nice Trolling effort. IPS monitors except the U2311H/IPS226V are poor choices for gaming. Having glowing corners, grey blacks, slower response time and half the screen tinted while paying a premium is in no way justified compared to putting up with viewing angles. Most gamers don't have ADD and shift their head side to side for viewing angles to even be a problem.

Brightness uniformity varies on both as does backlight bleed.

16ms=1 Frame of Input lag.

LG W2363D-0ms by everyone
Asus VG236H-0ms Flatpanels/12ms Digital Versus
BenQ XL240T 0ms PRAD/Flat PanelsHD/5.6ms TFT Central
Alienware AW2310-13.2ms Digital Versus
Samsung 2233rz 10ms Prad/12ms Digital Versus/15ms TFT central
Acer GD235HZ 17ms Prad/17.8ms Digital Versus
how am i trolling?
i've just owned quite a few tfts because i'm desperately looking for a crt substitute
and i never said i'd use a 60hz ips for gaming

the times you quoted are also just average not max input lag

Seemed like it to me.

Pretty sure lag spikes are caused by using the old method of measuring lag which really is inaccurate depending on how many photos you take.

Websites like PRAD are using the SMTT tool provides much more accurate readings.

Even if this is the case you must be able to slow down time to notice a lag spike.

Last edited:
No idea except for suggesting the Asus having input lag irritated NCX?

As for the backlight bleed being worse on 3D monitors isn´t that just an effect of the increased brightness making it more noticable? What would the reason otherwise be if it´s true they are generally worse then their much cheaper 60 hertz counterparts?

Can´t say I am generally that bothered on crap TN Monitors... If they had decent contrast and good blacks to start with then you start to be annoyed by such stuff. But as long as they suck as much as they all do in regard of image quality I am not bothered.

Dowant TN panels will never ever be close to Trinitron CRT for any kind of work. Better wait for new screen technologies or keep on getting frustrated by LCD:s.

Backlight bleeding on my Acer GD235HZ was pretty atrocious, especially in 3D mode where it cranked the brightness to 100%. Ghosting was apparent some brighter scenes, but that is a limitation of the technology. Panel quality didn't seem that great to me for the price. I had a Samsung Syncmaster 225BW prior to it and I felt it a superior monitor as far as image quality and build quality go. Also the Acer has no adjustability other than a slight tilt.

Back