Whether to upgrade, and if so, what? Advise needed, and Dell T3500s

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Rodney Heatsink, Aug 12, 2017 at 2:48 PM.

1. Rodney Heatsink

Rodney Heatsink n00bie

I currently game on a PC with these specs. It was donated to me because I was having trouble with my Dell T3500 that I had re purposed for gaming.

Amd Fx 6300 OC'd very stable and cool @4.6ghz , Noctua 212 evo cooler
    16gigs 1600mhz ddr3 RAM
    GTX 780
    Corsair 700 watt PSU
    Gigabyte GA990FXaUD3 rev. 2 or 3 mobo

I play Witcher 3, Crysis 3, Infestation: New Z , and Watch Dogs all at or above 60 fps. The CPU can get quite choked down at times during gaming though, depending on the game, but I would say this is it's weak point. I almost bought an FX 8350 but decided not to because I thought it would give me minimal FPS difference compared to the the price. FX is just kinda weak, especially which Ryzen, but I don't have a lot of money to upgrade.

My Dell T3500 originally had a Xeon W3565(4C,8T,3.2ghz to 3.4) which I changed to an X5660(6C,12T,2.8ghz to 3.0) because of the lower TDP. I assume games would like the higher clocked W chip?

I have often wondered if the Dell with it's Xeon would give me higher frame rates than the FX if I were to adapt my GTX 780 into it? I would have to get rid of the swinging hard drive arm, find somewhere to mount my two HDD, and get a bigger PSU..does anyone have experience with dealing with HDD drive placement after removing that arm? Any Dell T3500 gaming upgrade advise?

I see quite a few threads here about Dell T3500, and 5500 workstations being used so I was hoping for any input.

Re guarding the T3500, I quickly learned that I had to use Speed Fan when gaming because the front fans won't ramp up until the CPU is at 80C which is ridiculous. I also like many have a fan zip tied to the CPU heat sink. Speed fan is a real win for Dells ill designed cooling solution for those workstations

2. [Ion]

[Ion] [H]ard|Gawd

I've built quite a few "gaming" systems in Dell T3500/T5500 workstations. If you remove the HDD "arm" you can instead mount your HDD with a 5.25" -> 3.5" adapter under the optical drive. Super easy to do with like a $3 adapter.

However, I think your FX system will still be faster. 4.6GHz is a sizeable frequency boost vs 3.4GHz, and the Vishera IPC isn't that bad compared to Nehalem/Westmere where I'd expect the Xeon to come out ahead. The X5660, again, is going to struggle competing with a CPU with a 50%+ higher clockspeed.

Rodney Heatsink likes this.
  3. Rodney Heatsink

Rodney Heatsink n00bie

It seems the urge to upgrade never really ceases.

This is kinda what I was thinking but it never hurts to ask. You sort of guessed my thoughts, my hearing/reading the lower IPC that FX is reported to have made me doubt it's strength. Is upgrading to an FX 8 core worth it given my current config in your opinion? I have no experience overclocking so I don't know what to expect in that regard but I have a really solid mobo for Oc'ing. It even has support for a 9590 but I don't know if I would want to deal with that high of a TDP.

One factor is that I only have the one GTX 780 and a GTX 750ti in the Dell and no 2.5k or 4k displays, only 1080p. Given that I am Ok with 1080p gaming, I wonder if I would be better off maybe getting an FX 8350, or 8370 and an AIO water cooler to last another year, or try buy a B350 mobo, an under $200 Ryzen, and ram? I see people still gaming on ddr2 but I feel left out not having ddr4 after it's been out so long. I was even looking at older Intell ddr4 chipsets but Ryzen is cheaper than even used Xeons that are ddr4 lga 1151 capable. Sorry, I'm rambling. I'll figure it out eventually.

4. [Ion]

[Ion] [H]ard|Gawd

An FX8350 probably isn't the right choice. More cores are not really a solution to Vishera's poor IPC (particularly for gaming -- for some compute-oriented tasks, they do help), nor are (slightly) higher clockspeeds (say, if you got 5GHz with a liquid cooler instead of 4.6GHz with your H212 -- that's a 400MHz boost or ~9%). I have an OCed FX8320 in one of my systems

1080P is a relatively "low" resolution by modern standards (as in, it's not 4K or even 1600P). At lower resolutions, the CPU is more likely to be the bottleneck (higher resolutions put more load on the GPU relative to the CPU). A newer Ryzen combo probably would be the best bet -- AMD claims about a 50% IPC boost from the FX CPUs to Ryzen. So, a 3.9GHz Ryzen 3 or Ryzen 5 would be basically equivalent to a 6GHz FX. Now, that's a bigger boost.

5. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

FX 6300 is like late 2012 stuff that never was really that good a Intel 7700K would blow it out of the water for any games.
    Just get a new case and be done with it a good case 80.00-150.00 can last 10+ years or more. They are dirty cheap and look good doing it.

6. yatz10

yatz10 n00bie

In respect to the X5660 - they are overclockable, so any difference between that and the W chip is easily erased; but I suspect the Dell board may not be capable?
    If you can overclock -- with decent cooling, you can probably get your X5660 past 4GHz (I run my X5670 at 4 GHz with a hyper 212 evo at ~70 deg full load) , and the IPC is similar to the fx6300. The X56xx are still great chips. (FWIW the X5660 is identical to the i7-990X when oc'd... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 11:25 AM