Where's the sniper in Sniper Elite3?

rezerekted

2[H]4U
I thought I was buying a slow paced sniper game where you use cover a lot but the first mission is all fast paced action. Please tell me this turns into a real sniper game at some point.

Pretty much all of the sniper games suck, with short ranges and exaggerated bullet drop, bullet time and other action stuff. You're best bet is ArmA 3 with the RHS mod. Though I have noted played this particular game yet, and judging by the reviews, probably never. Sniper Elite V2 was decent, hardly a "sniper" game, but decent. Seems to be the better series of the two.

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 might be better

No. Just no. I'm not saying SGW isn't fun, but it's a COD clone with emphasis on "sniping". It has all the same mechanics as Sniper Elite... bullet time, exaggerated bullet drop, shot distances, situations an actual sniper would not be in, etc. Hell, just watching videos of the latest iteration, whatever projectile is coming out of your rifle, it's sure as hell not a real bullet. It's covered in weird squares, and some sort of teardrop thing, and has a crown on the tail of the bullet. Bullets don't look like that. It's as if whomever modeled it had never seen a real bullet, and instead just whipped something up to look "cool". It's stupid, and it's a pretty accurate representation of how well the rest of the game resembles real world weapon mechanics. It really is as near to a COD clone as it gets.

I thought I was buying a slow paced sniper game where you use cover a lot but the first mission is all fast paced action. Please tell me this turns into a real sniper game at some point.

No. Just no. I'm not saying SGW isn't fun, but it's a COD clone with emphasis on "sniping". It has all the same mechanics as Sniper Elite... bullet time, exaggerated bullet drop, shot distances, situations an actual sniper would not be in, etc. Hell, just watching videos of the latest iteration, whatever projectile is coming out of your rifle, it's sure as hell not a real bullet. It's covered in weird squares, and some sort of teardrop thing, and has a crown on the tail of the bullet. Bullets don't look like that. It's as if whomever modeled it had never seen a real bullet, and instead just whipped something up to look "cool". It's stupid, and it's a pretty accurate representation of how well the rest of the game resembles real world weapon mechanics. It really is as near to a COD clone as it gets.

This could not be farther from the truth. SGW is WAY better of a Sniper game than the Sniper Elite games ( I can't speak for the first two Sniper Ghost Warrior games since I didn't play them). I stopped playing Sniper Elite 3 with the same complaints OP had. There was little to no place for sniping, and all the levels were setup for stealth, sneaking, and close-quarters combat which would be fine but you should be able to snipe.

Now, SGW 3 is nothing like Call of Duty. It is nowhere near that pace, and the bullet physics are actually a lot better than you are painting it. There are HUGE distances to snipe across in some missions and there are some very real challenges. If you want to compare SGW 3 to anything then I would say it's like FarCry with a emphasis on sniping and not Call of Duty; not by a long shot. I have 20 hours into SNG 3 so far and am loving every minute of it. You have limited ammo, and the challenge is pretty good... using the drone is super helpful, and there are plenty of mods for all the weapons and gadgets you use. The voice-acting and story are forgettable, but if you love stealth games and being tacticool running around with silenced weapons and infiltrating enemy compounds and/or sniping them with awesome sniper rifles then you should like SGW 3.

OP, if you like sniping and want a good Sniper game then I would definitely give Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 a try. Game looks great, controls are great, guns feel very satisfying, and there is a lot of fun to be had. Plus, the price of the game can't be beat. $49.99 for the Season Pass edition is a great value, and while there have been some bugs here and there the dev team has been listening to the community and releasing regular patches. So don't let the above person's over-simplified comparison turn you off from giving it a try.

This could not be farther from the truth. SGW is WAY better of a Sniper game than the Sniper Elite games ( I can't speak for the first two Sniper Ghost Warrior games since I didn't play them). I stopped playing Sniper Elite 3 with the same complaints OP had. There was little to no place for sniping, and all the levels were setup for stealth, sneaking, and close-quarters combat which would be fine but you should be able to snipe.

Now, SGW 3 is nothing like Call of Duty. It is nowhere near that pace, and the bullet physics are actually a lot better than you are painting it. There are HUGE distances to snipe across in some missions and there are some very real challenges. If you want to compare SGW 3 to anything then I would say it's like FarCry with a emphasis on sniping and not Call of Duty; not by a long shot. I have 20 hours into SNG 3 so far and am loving every minute of it. You have limited ammo, and the challenge is pretty good... using the drone is super helpful, and there are plenty of mods for all the weapons and gadgets you use. The voice-acting and story are forgettable, but if you love stealth games and being tacticool running around with silenced weapons and infiltrating enemy compounds and/or sniping them with awesome sniper rifles then you should like SGW 3.

OP, if you like sniping and want a good Sniper game then I would definitely give Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 a try. Game looks great, controls are great, guns feel very satisfying, and there is a lot of fun to be had. Plus, the price of the game can't be beat. $49.99 for the Season Pass edition is a great value, and while there have been some bugs here and there the dev team has been listening to the community and releasing regular patches. So don't let the above person's over-simplified comparison turn you off from giving it a try.

Admittedly, I haven't played the 3rd. The first two are glorified COD with a few long distance shots thrown in for good measure. There is ZERO challenge in the sniping, the game literally tells you where to aim to compensate for windage and elevation. Again, not saying these games aren't fun, but I don't find the sniping aspects to be realistic or rewarding. I've watched several videos of the 3rd and it looked like more of the same but in an open world. Maybe something gets lost in translation and it's been improved. I couldn't get past the lame ass fantasy bullet.

You might also check out the ACE mod as well - IIRC it has windage, charts, etc. for long-distance shooting.

Will do, thanks.

Sniper Elite v3 is def not what I wanted. It was on sale and is why I bought it.

OK, I will keep an eye on it and look up some reviews.

I like Sniper Elite V2 a lot, to me Sniper Elite 3 looked more like a far cry game so I haven't picked it up but I will when it is DEEPLY discounted some day.

SE 4 is better in every way. SE3 was decent but imbalanced.

Certianly in SE4 you can approach the levels any way you want at any time. If you want to ghost snipe everything you can certainly do it although there are times if you blow your cover and don't relocate somewhere else you better be prepared to bring out your machine gun. There were times in close quarters I infiltrated interiors and did a Splinter Cell routine with the silenced pistol.

Part 4 is the best of the series by far at this point.

I, too, will also recommend Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 with the mention of be aware of certain bugs and other issues before going into it. It's a pleasant shock the game is as good as it is. I'd recommend fence sitter wait for the next patch at least.

This game basically puts you in a Far Cry type situation where you can stealth, ghost, and snipe as much as you want or frankly play it any way you want.

Back