Where's the IPC @ now Intel? (BD 8150 real world test)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teletran8

2[H]4U
AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 vs Intel Core i5 2500K 8-Core Gaming Benchmarks Linus Tech Tips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kd4dvLJQP4

Virtually IDENTICAL performance when run @ stock clocks and 1080p res.

Games tested:

Metro 2033
BF:BC2
Crysis 2
Lost Planet 2
Dirt 3
Cinebench 11.5

Just like Linus says at the end of the video the 8150 FX costs 50-60 more than a 2500k but most higher end Mobos like the UD5 on 1155 compared to same FX 990 UD5 cost 50+ more. (Those are boards with Tri-SLI / CFX 3X which I think as [H]members we should all aspire to own ;)) So really they perform the same for 1080p gaming and CB / video encoding, and cost exactly the same IMO. I know you can get anal and show 640x480p res for 2500k and things change, but how about being REALISTIC for once here?

IMHO People are overreacting BIG TIME on these forums, and 95 percent of you gamers are so off it's not even funny.

Can't wait for B3 chips and Pile driver ;)

Why aren't there more AMD fans on this [H] site anyhow?

The Intel kool-aid drinking is getting out of control IMO here, rather sickening.

I will say that the 2500k is definitely better in power consumption hands down (currently/right now), so hopefully I'll wait for B3 silicon, and/or PD change this for issue AMD! I can't wait to support them again.

dude, real world testing for CPUs is not gaming. how about an i3 in those same tests, how does it stack up? im guessing, not to much different.

This shows nothing we didn't know. When benchmarked in GPU limited scenarios stock speeds, fx-8150 scores close to 2500k.

Nobody buys a 2500k and runs it at stock. Fact is 2500k has about 200Mhz more clock potential over BD. Clock for clock BD gets destroyed by 2500k even at multithreaded benchmarks.

All this while using 300W less power.

The Intel kool-aid drinking is getting out of control IMO here, rather sickening.

The intel gang has real performance for the last 8 months to fall back on, you have youtube videos from Linus whom isn't the best at running test scenarios (though his unboxings are pretty good).

Also motherboard price difference argument is BS. From the youtube comment:

P67 / Z68 , SLI / Xfire capable motherboards are less expensive then the 990x SLI / Xfire capable motherboards. 970 motherboards can't SLI or Xfire.

MSI P67 G43 $125 + $205 i5 2500k = $330

Asrock Z68 Gen3 $135 + $205 i5 2500k = $340

Asus 990x $145 + $280 FX-8150 = $415

AMD is more expensive.

So basically, if your CPU is already bottle-necked, getting a faster CPU won't help?

Shocking.

So you were only temporarily traumatized when the reviews came out?

Now your insanity has regained control.

You used to post how it made sense to get a cheap AMD cpu and spent the rest of your money on a videocard (if gaming is important to you). That made sense. Buying a bulldozer doesn't. Its not a piece of crap its just that there are not many compelling reasons to buy it. Maybe if you already bought a 990FX board but even then...

Can't wait for B3 chips and Pile driver ;)

I know what you mean but CAN'T wait would make more sense as "can wait" :p

As to why there aren't more AMD fans, the answer is simple. Their cpus are not attractive apart from the pricing on their older products.

IF Bulldozer had turned out to be a winner than you would have seen tons of people congratulating them. Even people like me, with Sandy Bridge based computers that aren't giving a single problem would be willing to buy them just to tinker with and support AMD.

You are deluded thinking that people are hating on AMD just cause its AMD. Its because of their current choices. Unless you think AMD fans means that you think AMD is great no matter what. Then maybe you should start your own forum where everyone can talk about how bitchen the Bulldozer is.

Buying a bulldozer doesn't [make sense]. Its not a piece of crap its just that there are not many compelling reasons to buy it.

IF Bulldozer had turned out to be a winner than you would have seen tons of people congratulating them.

You are deluded thinking that people are hating on AMD just cause its AMD. Its because of their current choices.

This.

I like AMD. I like my 720BE. But I really do not understand the Coke vs. Pepsi loyalty. Because it is almost as silly as that. Not quite, as AMD is the clear underdog and it is worth it to support the underdog if they can stay somewhat competitive but to suggest that people plunk down their money on Bulldozer (in it's current state) is just silly IMO.

I mean, would anyone really recommend a Bulldozer based system to, say, a completely hardware-illiterate family member right now? I sure wouldn't.

I have a compelling reason to buy one in that I have everything but the cpu already humming right along in my machine.

FX makes sense for folks with an FX ready machine to put it in, and see tangible gains with the architecture for what they do. Otherwise it's not a prudent purchase at this juncture.

I will buy mine around christmas, I already built a llano rig to throw some money AMD's direction.

@OP, you do realize that the GPU is the limiting factor in those tests?

This means that the full capabilities of the processors aren't being revealed when gaming.

Maybe because most of the people here aren't fans of a company or here to tow some company line. We're a community of PC hardware enthusiasts. We're looking for the best products being made (in many different price brackets), irrespective of the manufacturer. Most of us don't care either way if our chip is from AMD or Intel, we only care about getting the highest performance for our budgets.

Last edited:
Do you see what you're doing here...?!?!?!?!

ne6a2h.jpg

/thread

PS.
-9000 points for linking to Linus.. W...T...F....! :rolleyes::confused::eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back