Wheres the HT?

Thunder

Weaksauce
Are you complaining about the type of logo on the box? Am I reading that right?

If so, who cares? The processor has HT. Your box isn't what you want to be running HT...it's the proc inside that counts.

No,Iam not complaining about the logo in the box, its on the box as well.I want to make sure I got the right thing ;)

Thunder said:
No,Iam not complaining about the logo in the box, its on the box as well.I want to make sure I got the right thing ;)

If your proc definitely has 1 MB of cache, then you have the right thing. It should say all the specs on the processor itself.

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

Quoted from the top of the newegg ad. The box doesnt matter, it has HT, especially since there is no model of that with the same cache, and FSB without HT.

Like I said I haent messed with computer hardware ever. My TV supports HDTV, but it doesnt decode it. I just thought it weird that I had seen teh HT logos everywhere and that one lacks at as the terminology "supporting hyperthreading technology" just made me think it supports it, but not out of the box or something. IDK, I am crazy.......Aslong as it is what I think it is then its all good.

some of the prescott cores like the 2.4A don't have HT, but those are 533mhz FSB.

All 800mhz FSB 1MB L2 chips have HT.

Besites on the box right uner Pentium 4 processor it says supports HT.

What more tod you want?

Thunder said:
Like I said I haent messed with computer hardware ever. My TV supports HDTV, but it doesnt decode it. I just thought it weird that I had seen teh HT logos everywhere and that one lacks at as the terminology "supporting hyperthreading technology" just made me think it supports it, but not out of the box or something. IDK, I am crazy.......Aslong as it is what I think it is then its all good.

Guys! Ease up! Don't assault people who are asking questions or wanting info or else people will stop comming here.

In answer to your question, yes it does have HT which you probably already know. The reason why it doesn't have the HT logo is that chip is a different "model" in Intel's eyes since it has 1MB of L2 cache instead of 512K like the others. Think of it as a Nissan Sentra X and Sentra XE. They look the same, they both drive on the road, but one has a slightly better engine than the other (Car people don't flame, the XE had a 6 cylinder option engine that the X did not).
Intel didn't bother puting the HT logo on chips that were designated with the E (for Extreme Edition) since it's essentially the same chip as the regular Pentium 4 but a slight step up

Hit F1 or dealte and go into bios and change or check if HT is enabled.

Hit F1 or delete and go into bios and change or check if HT is enabled.

(Typo fixed there)
Good point. No point having it and not using it. Just like here at work. I went through the spreadsheet of specs on the automated audit (for the XP SP1 upgrade), and my PC was the only one in my department (tech support!!!) that reported having 2 processors! Switching on HT is not part of the build process...we have 3500 to 4000 Pentium 4s here. And plenty of dual-Xeons too (I sooooo want to install Doom 3 on one, but we only put Quadra 4 based cards in them for cheapo dual- triple- or quad-screen so there'd be little point). No hyperthreading going on. Apart from in my system. :cool:

All Prestonia Xeon's have HT. You should enable HT on them for more performance. That way your two way systems will show 4 virtual CPU's.

Also HT being enabled is a BIOS thing. Earlier machines that were equipped with an 800MHz FSB processor had it disabled by default. We've got 72 such machines with 2.8GHz Pentium 4's at work. I enabled HT on all of them. Computer animators report an increase in performance.

So if you don't have it enabled, you should. But only 800MHz FSB CPU's have it. Except for the Xeons, which all socket 604 Xeon's should have it.

I can't say I notice a difference (between this machine and my 1.4GHz AMD at home - I don't exactly strain the cpu here - no games!).

We do have software devs here, but they don't seem to know their ANDs from their elbows. Very few of them had any idea what I was on about when I rolled off what spec system they had ("Dual Xeons - very nice...very quick too." "Dual wha???". Philistines! :rolleyes: )

Back