Where will you be getting your reviews for Ampere and RDNA2?

Considering I plan to get an OLED TV around Labor day, and there arent any HDMI 2.1 video cards, I plan to not wait for reviews for Ampere. There is no other card you can get to push 4k120hz HDR, and who the hell knows when Navi comes out....

I don't go to reviews, they eventually always come to me.

For what it's worth, I don't necessarily need to even to be that thorough when looking at day 1 reviews. I'm basically looking for features (mainly HDMI 2.1), price, and how much better the card is in popular/demanding games. From there a quick glance at the last page caveats ensures there aren't any giant asterisks. A lot of reviews I trust are like 30 pages long and I bet I only read 5 of them.

Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, Hardware Canucks.

I stopped watching Hardware Canucks performance reviews because they always do something that throws me off. Like reviewing CPUs gaming performance while using a mid-range graphics card without specifying why and the effects of doing so in the video.

Their videography is top notch though.

I stopped watching Hardware Canucks performance reviews because they always do something that throws me off. Like reviewing CPUs gaming performance while using a mid-range graphics card without specifying why and the effects of doing so in the video.

Their videography is top notch though.
I've never noticed that. I'm usually just watching them for case, gpu and peripheral reviews.

I like Digital Foundry, but their videos can be very long and boring.

Usually just search on Google and go to like Techspot and scroll down to the graphs.

Kyle worked for Intel briefly. More than that, is up to him to say. He decided not to restart HardOCP.com. As for myself and the rest of the HardOCP staff, we all went to thefpsreview.com. We are doing the same work over there we did here. Obviously, we don't have the clout with manufacturers that we had under Kyle, but we've managed to score hardware ahead of time for launches. About the only time we failed to do so was for the Threadripper 3000 series and 3950X launch.

You should try to get a few more articles in your editorial section so we can better see what you are about [or as much as I hate to say it, a youtube video]. Timing in advance of these next several big launches this year would be useful. As is, you are a bit lost in the sea of tech review sites.

I'll hit the boys up at TheFPSreview.com

Hopefully Brent is on the short list for an x80 and x80 Ti from Nvidia and a couple of AIB partners.

We have a few videos. I don't think they are on a specific channel. It hasn't been our main focus. Most of our videos are supplemental to our long form articles. We will be adding more in the future. I don't have any equipment for it, so I've done none on the motherboard and CPU front.

I would like to see you guys reboot back to the Main Event with likes of others that have dominated just using You Tube channel as in next step to Maximum PC becoming a TV show as to see you hands on with the hardware and the channel would make enough coin to pay for Public Review .

I used to go to Toms or Anandtech, but nowa days I just watch gamers nexus for a good feel of everything, then I will let the early adopters be the guinea pigs and read forums for issues they are having. I will never jump too early given the experience I have had with my 5700xt. If I do buy this year or next, AMD will have to really impress me, with performance and reliability or I will jump ship to NVIDIA in a blink of an eye.

I'll hit the boys up at TheFPSreview.com

Hopefully Brent is on the short list for an x80 and x80 Ti from Nvidia and a couple of AIB partners.

Even if we don't get the launch cards (which I do hope that we do), we have a number of manufacturers that will sample us and I'm committed to buying/reviewing/reselling the balance of the cards that don't get sampled for this generation. We have a second GPU reviewer coming on line in the next week or two which will increase our capacity for properly covering all of the different families of cards. I would say that we missed this boat with the 2000 series Supers as we only covered the FE cards plus a couple of AIB cards and that will be corrected for this time around.

I used to go to Toms or Anandtech, but nowa days I just watch gamers nexus for a good feel of everything, then I will let the early adopters be the guinea pigs and read forums for issues they are having. I will never jump too early given the experience I have had with my 5700xt. If I do buy this year or next, AMD will have to really impress me, with performance and reliability or I will jump ship to NVIDIA in a blink of an eye.
I started with Ryzen 5 1400 .. so going 3700x/RX 5700 was a no brainier very early on for me and it still rocks for me today on the games I Like to play .,

I will check everything up and after that I will check forums with benchmark topic from people and YouTube videos.
I think that this is the way to understand something average.

I have always liked Guru3D.
Pretty honest reviews, lots and lots of comparison performance.
Guy tends to just use canned benchmark from each game but it's very consistant.
I look at FPSreview simply because it's old Hard guys.

Reactions: Schro
like this
Main:

Gamers Nexus: Most in depth, best at teasing out oddities, differences.

Hardware Unboxed (AKA Techspot): Widest breadth. They put it in massive test effort often with 30+ games and produce very nice comparison graphs. They also dig into their testing, and figure out what went wrong if they get any anomalous results.

I will check others like:

Digital Foundry: Usually a bit slow on card reviews, but they always have an interesting take, and good eye for image quality issues.

Anandtech: I still read for the architecture coverage, but their game testing results have often been way off/inconsistent in recent years. If they get odd results they never try to figure out why, or correct them.

TechPowerUp, for their handy big comparison graphs but I don't actually read their reviews. I don't find them in depth.

I tend to ignore Toms, PC Mag, Ars Tech... and all the minor squawkers, since I don't find they bring anything extra to the table that isn't covered better above.

I like hardware unboxed. They really give you big range and overall avg. TPU is good but they really aren't as detailed and their results can be iffy at times. Effort is not the same. Anandtech does a good deep dive.

A somewhat related question, wasn't sure it warranted it's own thread... but I'll let you guys be the judge.

I haven't tried to "1st day purchase" any hardware in a long time.

However, in building my new rig, I want to get a 3070 on day 1 as fast as possible.

What are your recommendations for best ideas on getting a hold of one?

Sit on Newegg, Amazon, Bestbuy websites at midnight on whatever the announced launch date ends up being? Use "in Stock" notifications?

What has worked well for you?

A somewhat related question, wasn't sure it warranted it's own thread... but I'll let you guys be the judge.

I haven't tried to "1st day purchase" any hardware in a long time.

However, in building my new rig, I want to get a 3070 on day 1 as fast as possible.

What are your recommendations for best ideas on getting a hold of one?

Sit on Newegg, Amazon, Bestbuy websites at midnight on whatever the announced launch date ends up being? Use "in Stock" notifications?

What has worked well for you?

In the past they've typically gone on sale the morning of the release day. Usually that's been when the NDA ends and all the reviews show up, so this will be a little different.
In stock alerts and F5'ing the main sites tends to be the way to go.
I'd watch the 3080 launch next week and do a trial run. I'd guess the 90's and 70's will work the same way.

I like Digital Foundry, but their videos can be very long and boring.

Usually just search on Google and go to like Techspot and scroll down to the graphs.
Digital foundary started losing me with their dlss coverage... After everyone else pointed out the quality issues and they somehow missed (or failed to point out) them? I expected more. Then being chosen by nvidia to pretend to be a 3rd party reviewer? Lol, yup... Lost me completely after this. They just seem to be cozying up to Nvidia a bit much for my over active imagination. You've got to think nvidia wasn't going to pick someone that wouldn't help put them in the best light (for example, Kyle was never picked by nvidia, opposite of that really because he was brutally honest). I typically try to read as many as I can and come away with a rough idea on things. I won't put much faith into a single review site, I'll read/view a bunch and move on with my life ;). Then AMD will release and I'll imagine that their are to many people rooting for the "underdog" and need to read about 8+ reviews to even think I'm getting close to real data ;).

I'll be reading FPSreview, TPU, and the text on GN. I read faster than just about anybody talks, and I don't have time for video reviews.

"Gotta skip 30 seconds of logos, sponsors, and 'theme music', 2 minutes of lead-in, and 2 more minutes of looking at the card. There's the chart I want to see - let me pause the video. Have to click out of the stupid overlay. Video started, have to pause again..."

I'll be reading FPSreview, TPU, and the text on GN. I read faster than just about anybody talks, and I don't have time for video reviews.

"Gotta skip 30 seconds of logos, sponsors, and 'theme music', 2 minutes of lead-in, and 2 more minutes of looking at the card. There's the chart I want to see - let me pause the video. Have to click out of the stupid overlay. Video started, have to pause again..."

Videos are terrible for presenting data, I hit written articles for that. Videos are much more efficient at communicating everything else though.

Digital foundary started losing me with their dlss coverage... After everyone else pointed out the quality issues and they somehow missed (or failed to point out) them? I expected more. Then being chosen by nvidia to pretend to be a 3rd party reviewer? Lol, yup... Lost me completely after this. They just seem to be cozying up to Nvidia a bit much for my over active imagination. You've got to think nvidia wasn't going to pick someone that wouldn't help put them in the best light (for example, Kyle was never picked by nvidia, opposite of that really because he was brutally honest). I typically try to read as many as I can and come away with a rough idea on things. I won't put much faith into a single review site, I'll read/view a bunch and move on with my life ;). Then AMD will release and I'll imagine that their are to many people rooting for the "underdog" and need to read about 8+ reviews to even think I'm getting close to real data ;).

I agree that df have been allowing themselves to fall into the trap of marketing products in exchange for an early look a few times too many. If you aren't allowed to test and publish the cold hard numbers or even the benchmarking parameters there's no point in making an early video about a new product, imo. No matter how nice the product and/or the perception of the upgrade.

GN, Hardware Unboxed, then all the gamers with similar specs to mine playing games I play will fill in a lot.

Those 1 off non serious youtube uploads can tell you a lot more specifics, and many run Afterburner.

Gamers Nexus and that's it ! Everywhere else it's fake news #sad! :confused:

Last edited:
Back