Where to start with Tomato

Droc

2[H]4U
I have a E4200 router and I struggle to stream video to the top floor of my house.
I know tomato can help reach the routers potential.
So I figured Id try this tomato I keep hearing about....and then I see there are a dozen types of tomato.

Any advice on where to start?

Check compatibility to your router for what version to use otherwise you might toast the router!

I'm gonna throw antenna radiation pattern out there...

Radiation-patterns-v.png

That is, if your streaming device on the top floor is directly above the router, or at least anywhere close to being directly above it, the radiation pattern on the standard antennas, if they are orientated vertically won't push enough, if any, signal up in that direction.

Also, consider that most 'consumer' wi-fi adapters in most consumer streaming devices are complete and utter crap!

Consider a £3500 65" Samsung 3D LED Smart TV, you'd think the wireless on it would be half decent....not so...I had my entire house covered by a Unifi UAP-LR yet the TV in the room directly below it would struggle, get random disconnects and was generally a PITA.

I swapped the Unifi UAP-LR out for a UAP-Pro, dual band, gigabit uplink onto my Gigabit LAN, it improved a little but was still annoying, so I re-patched the UAP-Pro downstairs and put the AP behind the TV, no further improvement , the wireless in my new (back then) £3500 TV was shite!

Lesson learnt: anything that doesn't move around.....wire it!

Back