Where to start: Microsoft Certs

only1brian

Limp Gawd
Ive been in work for a few years now and out of college during that time.
The past years, ive been looking into getting some Microsoft certs.... but unsure where to start, especially since ive heard they have re-structured their exams and certs. I would like to get into server side certs.

Any advise?

I started with 70-620 which is a Vista cert. It's probably one of the easiest tests I've written as it didn't cover any system files, deployment or anything that advanced. It was basically comparing Vista editions as far as features and upgrades, getting to know the built in apps such as mail, media center, IE7 and media player, and touched a bit on the backup features. The best part is that it counts towards MCITP: Enterprise Administrator which is the new equivalent to MCSE I believe.

After that your next step would be to go either 70-640 (Server 08 AD), 70-642 (Server 08 Networking) or 70-643 (Server 08 Applications). All three plus the Vista test are required to take the MCITP Enterprise Administrator exam - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/windowsserver/2008/enterprise/default.mspx.

If you only want MCITP Server Administrator you can start with 70-640 or 70-642 as they are the pre-reqs - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/windowsserver/2008/server/default.mspx.

Thanks for that writeup Iced!

I too looked into certs and I'd consider myself a reasonably bright guy, but the last time I looked into it I really had a hard time to figure out which ones are needed for what and which options one has along the way.

Now to figure out whether it's actually worth to take those ...

Thanks for that writeup Iced!

I too looked into certs and I'd consider myself a reasonably bright guy, but the last time I looked into it I really had a hard time to figure out which ones are needed for what and which options one has along the way.

Now to figure out whether it's actually worth to take those ...

Agreed, ill definitely have to look into that Vista test and put myself a nice VM vista up to play with.

so...the MCSE and MCSA certs are no longer available?
i shoudl now study for the MCITP instead?

Cool, I think that I am going to grab the A+ first, then go after MS with the 70-620 first, and so on, thanks for the help with this issue!!!

so...the MCSE and MCSA certs are no longer available?
i shoudl now study for the MCITP instead?

They are still available. As of today they aren't planning on doing away with anything relative to Server 2003.

However, if you want Vista/Server 2008 related cert, the MCITP is the restructuring of the MCSE and MCSA for the new OS's.

^
so should i just study for the MCITP and take that exam?
because in about a year im assuming more companies will use server 2008?

^
so should i just study for the MCITP and take that exam?
because in about a year im assuming more companies will use server 2008?
Could someone give us input on that?
Would a 2008 cert overlook a 2003 cert if in an interview?

Could someone give us input on that?
Would a 2008 cert overlook a 2003 cert if in an interview?

All depends on the company i think, If the company is running 2003 then they might want someone with a cert in 03. Personally i would go with the 03 first, you are going to see way more companies running 03 then running 08

I would find it very hard to believe you'd be overlooked for having 2008 over 2003.

I would find it very hard to believe you'd be overlooked for having 2008 over 2003.

I agree. I think a large place would have enough 03 experts. They would probably like having someone who knows the new technologies.

I agree. I think a large place would have enough 03 experts. They would probably like having someone who knows the new technologies.
It is also worth mentioning that 2008 is basically 2003 with some new add-ons. Any company that is going to pass a candidate over for having 2008 instead of 2003 is a company you wouldn't want to work for anyways.

Back