Where to put thermal probes for fans...

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
My new case came with a trio of screaming 120mm Deltas. I also realized after I got it that the thing has 2 mounts for a pair of 92mm fans up in front of the HD bays. I've got 5 fans on order, and they've all got temp probes & manual adjustment knobs. Now I just need to decide between the temp probes and manual adjustment, and where to put the temp probes.

The case is a Chenbro SR10769-BK. It's a dual Opteron system with a 6800GT.

As for the fans I've got 3 120mm and 2 90 mm fans on order.

All I'm trying to figure out here is where to put the thermal probes. Anyone have any advice on this?

So far I'm thinking I'll put the probes for the 2 middle fans on the CPU heatsinks and the exhaust fan probe on the 6800GT. Anyone have a thought on where on the 6800GT would be a good spot? It's got a heatpipe on the cooler... maybe there?

I may just use the knobs for the 90mm fans in the front of the drive bays. Even at minimum fan speed the drives would probably never get warm enough to kick the fan up a notch, and attaching the probes or control knobs anywhere but on the removeable drive cage would be a major PITA.

I would put all three 120mm fan probes on the CPUs and power section of the motherboard. Otherwise I think you have good ideas...

I have my eyes on that Chenbro case. I need to sell something to get it, cuz I ain't rich.

By the way, those Thermaltake fans are junk IMO, I'd never buy them; Especially not for a $150 case with a new SMP system in it.

Perhaps I've made another mistake, though I had some similar fans that came with a pair of Volcano 11+ heatsinks for my previous system. They didn't last long as the sinks sucked, but I had no complaints about the fans. Well, other than the orange color.
If they stink maybe I'll just get a fan controller and put the deltas back in.

Well, I'd like to hear what they do for you when you get them in... keep me updated. :)

Ok, I decided after I got the things that I probably ordered 1 too many 120mm fans.
The 2 middle fans were .8A 120x25mm Deltas. They were crazy loud. The rear fan is a .48A 120x33 (or something like that) Delta. I decided to give it a try w/o the middle fans, and it's not bad at all.
Overall my idle temps are down about 5C from before. 45.5C for CPU0 and 40C for CPU1 using retail heatsinks. I didn't do a stress test before, so that's about all I have to go by.
Not that these TT fans are anything special- I think it's just that there isn't anything to stop the middle fans from recirculating air from inside the case, and filling those two fron 92mm slots is what did the trick. With the probes taped (fans came w/ thermal tape) to CPU0's heatsink the one that's hooked up to the hw monitor is running at about 1200rpm. Even at that speed this setup appears to be more effective than stock.

I guess the most important thing to take from this is if you buy this case (see my first post), add the front fans and plan on swapping the middle ones or putting them on a fan controller. The rear fan won't make you happy if you want it silent, but with 2 machines, a box fan in the doorway, and an FC-AL array in the closet this setup doesn't add too much to the noise level.

Here's my cooling setup:
CPUs: Stock AMD Opteron retail fan & heatsink
Exhaust fan: Stock 120x33 .48A Delta
Middle fans: Thermaltake 120x25mm blue LED fans w/ thermal speed control attached to CPU1 heatsink.
Intake fans: Thermaltake 90x25mm blue LED fans w/ manual speed adjustment knobs stuck through the front drive bay grills & hidden behind the door.

It's also worth mentioning that when mixed with an Iwill DK8N dual Opteron board you'll have a really hard time fitting more than a 60mm heatsink onto CPU1. The socket's right at the top of the board & very close to a metal plate & the PSU.
Also, a PSU with a bottom fan won't work in this case, as there's a metal plate in the way. A PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 fits great though.

Great update! Thanks for taking the time to write that.

I have a Dremel - it will trim that PSU bottom plate nicely I hope.

Back